• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod79

How many Km’s/miles with 181L/48g tank(6.7)?

Hey guys, just wondering how far can you go on a tank of fuel(diesel) with your 181L/48g tank?  

I guess I will have to find out on my own if I ever make it home. 

I get over 700 with my gas engine and 36 gallon tank.  I would imagine the 48 gallon diesel would go 900-1100 miles depending on gearing, load, etc.

This is taking a long time, I don’t put a lot of km’s on in a year. I am currently half ways through my first tank of fuel and have 600km’s on my trip counter and DTE still says 610km’s. Approximately 180 highway and 420km’s around the city. Avg of 15.5L/100km.  

10-12 towing..16ish hauling butts if your lucky....u dont buy superduty for fuel economy...u haul crap like 35klbs (max) on a goose neck trailer...my 15 exploder gets 13mpg as comparison (4 banger) around town...

I went with the diesel this time for the fuel economy while towing my fifth wheel, if I can get 10-12 towing that will be a pretty significant increase over the 8-9mpg I normally got with my 6.2L.  Plus the larger fuel tank with the long box, I’m looking forward to towing next camping season. 

Diesel would be an advantage in the mountains..they dont downshift like the gassers...that will be of benefit...be interesting to see the 7.3 in front of the new 10sp though....personally i would give up a few mpg for not having to fork out an additional $9-12k and avoiding the diesel headaches (plus i still think the inline oil burner is the better choice)..for you a lot depends in what you are towing in a camper and gearing...at least with the diesels you could go with a higher gear (3:31's) and thats a huge advantage over 4:30's or 4:88's...but again nobody knows your config

The 7.3L was definitely an option for me until the numbers came out. Not saying they are bad but I wasn’t getting one unless it had 500 or more torque. So I decided to go with the 6.7 which will tow my 9500 lb fifth wheel like a champ.  My new truck has the 3.55 gears which will be plenty. My 6.2l 250 had the 3.73 gears which pulled fine, the 4.30 would have been a lot better though. I have pulled my trailer on the flats and through the Rockies and it managed....manual mode and my foot to the floor and just listen to her scream. Where I live it gets crazy windy and I found the wind worse than any hill I have had to climb while towing as the hills have a end, where you can push the wind for hours straight and a fifth wheel catches a lot of air.  My parents bought my 6.2l 250 off me so I might get some more seat time in it yet, I only put 101k km’s on it in the 8 years I had it. I hope they enjoy it(and my dad will finally get to drive a real truck now, he’s a Chevy guy). Lol

B3B96D40-2ACA-4BFD-AA1E-CB917E034CDD.jpeg

Same trip, I was in the middle of nowhere and fuel wasn’t cheap so I just put in enough to get me home.  Total of 1642km’s and the truck said 12.8L/100km’s. 

0BA91BDA-C1E9-445D-AA21-DCCE28F6C4B6.jpeg

B1793BF8-4DC4-446E-8614-FC38C35CCC75.jpeg

Edited by Ramrod79