SD Frame failure

HotRunrGuy

That's an F450, and this is actually the second truck he has broken in the same place.  The first was an F350.

The guy is a tool salesman and runs with his trailer heavily loaded (I think it's Canada).  The trailer tongue is way behind the hitch on the truck, so the hitch must be reinforced.  That's a LOOOOT of leverage on the frame of that truck.  Seriously overloaded.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

This is the crap that concerns me with all this 37000 lb towing capacity. Sure it can pull it but can it stop and steer safely. That takes a lot of force to break that frame. 

So, how does a manufacturer protect itself from this scenario?  Is this a "leverage" problem, with far too much tongue weight, too many inches (feet) behind the rear axle?  Does the gross (rear) axle weight rating keep this from happening? 

HRG

11 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

So, how does a manufacturer protect itself from this scenario?  Is this a "leverage" problem, with far too much tongue weight, too many inches (feet) behind the rear axle?  Does the gross (rear) axle weight rating keep this from happening?

I don't think there is any doubt he exceeded the mfr limits on payload and/or tongue weight and/or trailer weight.  Nothing the mfr can do about that.

• Like 1

This pic has been discussed quite a bit on several Ford tech pages. This is the 2nd truck the customer has broken like this. Previous was an F350. You can't see it from this pic, but the tongue on the trailer is VERY long to clear the slide in camper. Pure abuse, not defect. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

This pic has been discussed quite a bit on several Ford tech pages. This is the 2nd truck the customer has broken like this. Previous was an F350. You can't see it from this pic, but the tongue on the trailer is VERY long to clear the slide in camper. Pure abuse, not defect. 

I see what you mean. The tongue would have to be super long.

2 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

No doubt. However, I bet a jury would still side with him against the big bad corporate monster. 

After seeing a jury rule against Ford when a drunk driver swerved off the road not wearing seatbelts, rolled the explorer and was ejected and killed along with several buddies I wouldn’t doubt it.  His family claimed that had Ford used laminated safety glass he wouldn’t have been ejected.  I think (hope) it was overturned on appeal but the sheer stupidity and lack of personal responsibility in these juries is scary.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

After seeing a jury rule against Ford when a drunk driver swerved off the road not wearing seatbelts, rolled the explorer and was ejected and killed along with several buddies I wouldn’t doubt it.  His family claimed that had Ford used laminated safety glass he wouldn’t have been ejected.  I think (hope) it was overturned on appeal but the sheer stupidity and lack of personal responsibility in these juries is scary.

My dad was a juror in a trial that was against a Toyota dealer, a body shop, and the insured. Long story short, the jury was all against the big companies no matter who’s to blame. 

Edited by fordtech1

8 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

That's an F450, and this is actually the second truck he has broken in the same place.  The first was an F350.

The guy is a tool salesman and runs with his trailer heavily loaded (I think it's Canada).  The trailer tongue is way behind the hitch on the truck, so the hitch must be reinforced.  That's a LOOOOT of leverage on the frame of that truck.  Seriously overloaded.

3 hours ago, YT90SC said:

You don't say.  ? 

13 hours ago, YT90SC said:

This picture seems to support the "long tongue" version, rather than the hitch/receiver extended further back. You can see the brake actuator under the slide-in camper.

HRG

F450 frame crack.jpg

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

This picture seems to support the "long tongue" version, rather than the hitch/receiver extended further back. You can see the brake actuator under the slide-in camper.

HRG

The lawsuit should be against the company that thought this would be a great way to put a camper and trailer on ANY truck, not just that specific F450. Clearly, the application voids the warranty of the truck.

5 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Wow, is that tongue long!

BTW, that's the F350 he broke.

Looking at the 2019 RV/Towing guide, the F-450 CC DRW weight rating is roughly 400# LESS than a similar F-350. Of course, by the time we add that huge camper, and add a lot of tongue weight, he's probably 2K# over the rear-axle weight rating,,,,

HRG

2019 Ford slide-in chart.pdf

15 minutes ago, twintornados said:

No it isn't....its an F450. 

You could be right.  The 2011 - 2014 (I think that was the year) F450 did not have the 10 lug/19.5" rim.  The top pic in the thread (all white truck) is definitely an F450, I can't tell for certain with the one I'm referring to (truck with tan two-tone).  Both of these trucks belong to the same guy.

41 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Looking at the 2019 RV/Towing guide, the F-450 CC DRW weight rating is roughly 400# LESS than a similar F-350. Of course, by the time we add that huge camper, and add a lot of tongue weight, he's probably 2K# over the rear-axle weight rating,,,,

HRG

2019 Ford slide-in chart.pdf

Yes, both trucks have the same GVWR (14k lbs) since they are class 3 trucks.  The F450 is heavier due to heavier components, so it has less payload.  Yeah, I'm sure he's way overloaded.

Edited by fordmantpw