SD Frame failure

HotRunrGuy

12 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

Sadly the F350 & F450 duallys both use the same frame. If this was built on a F450/F550 cab/Chassis this wouldn't have happened.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. The Chassis Cab load capacity numbers seem to be considerably higher than the "pick up" version, even if you subtract 1000# for the box.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Thanks, I was wondering about that. The Chassis Cab load capacity numbers seem to be considerably higher than the "pick up" version, even if you subtract 1000# for the box.

Are those available with a bed?  I thought maybe he was sticking to 350/450 so he could keep his existing camper.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Are those available with a bed?  I thought maybe he was sticking to 350/450 so he could keep his existing camper.

Probably not from the factory, but I would have to imagine that there would be an aftermarket option to look at.

HRG

Like these,,,,  http://www.douglasstruckbodies.com/gallery/?type=13&make=16&chassis=17&color=&workready=0&keywords=&unit&pager=1

Douglass-Camper-Body-53058-11_small.jpg

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

F650 of F550 chassis cab needed here.(believe those are straight frames from front to back???)...he is way over payload capacity and (GVWR)...most go to axle rating but that is only a part of being able to safely tow heavy loads(more weight on any f350 like diesel reduces payload)...acts like this is not helpful to rv's being exmpt from CDL requirements and honestly some of the stuff i see needs to stop by regulation if need be...dont like it but my family safely passing trumps  those idiots on the road pulling unsafe loads just because of the rv cdl exemption....slide in camper sales people you never trust....they will sell you anything....your responsibility to know what your truck can and cannot safely haul/tow..at least he was not pulling that 70mph on I90

GVWR - vehicle weight = payload

Edited by snooter

• 4 weeks later...

He's got like a 6''+ trailer tongue  on trailer and the camp weight is almost all drive axle back! We have to look at the physics of leverage. Place a 2' 2x4 in a vice and grab the end and try and break and then take a 6' 2x4 and do the same. Let me know what you find :)

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Same problem....way too much rear loading that causes the frame to break/bend....the slide in is made for an 8 foot box properly equipped truck, not a 5 1/2 foot equipped truck. Get the proper equipment for the correct vehicle and you won't see this .

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

Same problem....way too much rear loading that causes the frame to break/bend....the slide in is made for an 8 foot box properly equipped truck, not a 5 1/2 foot equipped truck. Get the proper equipment for the correct vehicle and you won't see this .

Nah, it's much easier to abuse your equipment and blame the manufacturer 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...