Ford Q3 & September 2019 Sales Results & Charts

I'm not sure why they coupled Corsair/MKC sales.  I don't like that.  I understood when they did it with MKX, as it was a refresh.  But Corsair is a completely new model, I think it should've been separated.  Obviously over time MKC (and MKX) will disappear, but for now it looks weird.

31 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its slightly amazing that Fiesta sales are up nearly 50% this past year-I'm guessing its partly due to the disappearance of the Focus. 

Next few months are going to be ugly numbers wise due to the Fiesta and the Taurus numbers going to 0. 

Yeah, I think both Focus and Fusion have benefited from Focus going away.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'm not sure why they coupled Corsair/MKC sales.  I don't like that.  I understood when they did it with MKX, as it was a refresh.  But Corsair is a completely new model, I think it should've been separated.  Obviously over time MKC (and MKX) will disappear, but for now it looks weird.

But it's really not a new model, it's just an updated version of the same vehicle on a new chassis.   Just like the new Escape is just a newer version of the old Escape on a new platform.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

But it's really not a new model, it's just an updated version of the same vehicle on a new chassis.   Just like the new Escape is just a newer version of the old Escape on a new platform.

I understand it's the same segment.  Escape doesn't get a "New Escape" row because it's the same name (I remember Volvo oddly did "new XC90" and "XC60 II" in their charts a while back).  I just feel that an all new vehicle with new name should go in it's own row.  Like I said above, I can understand an exception for MKX/Nautilus with it being a refresh, but all new should've been different to me.  The same logic would have meant "oh, Aviator and MKT are both 3 row crossovers, let's go "Aviator/MKT".  So why did Aviator get it's own row?

It'll be a moot point in a bit over a year or so once all MKXs/MKCs are sold and they drift off the charts, but just makes the OCD kick in a bit.

Edited by rmc523

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I understand it's the same segment.  Escape doesn't get a "New Escape" row because it's the same name (I remember Volvo oddly did "new XC90" and "XC60 II" in their charts a while back).  I just feel that an all new vehicle with new name should go in it's own row.  Like I said above, I can understand an exception for MKX/Nautilus with it being a refresh, but all new should've been different to me.  The same logic would have meant "oh, Aviator and MKT are both 3 row crossovers, let's go "Aviator/MKT".  So why did Aviator get it's own row?

It'll be a moot point in a bit over a year or so once all MKXs/MKCs are sold and they drift off the charts, but just makes the OCD kick in a bit.

I get what you're saying but look at it this way.   If they had changed the name to Corsair 2 years ago like Nautilus, then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.  Just like we won't have an issue when Nautilus goes to a new platform.  Or when Explorer went from D4 to CD6.   Or when Edge went from CD3 to CD4.

If they had replaced MKT with Aviator I wouldn't have a huge objection to combining them either but they're not doing that.

But yes I understand the OCD issue.  :)

• Like 1

Fiesta is probably getting a lot of close out retail support and fleet deals. Not surprising given that Ford dealers have no other small cars on the lot now that Focus is gone.

Looking at the sales chart, you can see that Ford really needs to ramp up the "SUV" line up. Look at what's going on with Hyundai... they are replacing cars with SUVs as well and their product roll out is 12-18 months ahead of Ford.

Something like Puma should have been on a fast track to the US market to replace Focus once they scuttled the Focus Active plan. 

We know Fusion replacement as a CUV is in the works but I would also look at Flex again and see what can be done with a limited budget to stretch out the new Explorer again (not just a simple stretch but more like Flex size and wheelbase wise for better 3rd row seat space but this time with more conventional SUV styling). There must be people who want fullsize CUV but do not necessary want a truck based solution like Expedition. Right now, GM is the only real option out there.

Edited by bzcat

10 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

bzcat, what GM product are you referencing?

I'm assuming he's talking about the Traverse

The Traverse is about 5-6 inches longer then the 2020 Explorer and what he's talking about is a stretched out Explorer that would compete against it with more conventional styling. IMO I don't think the market is really that big with it, but it could be just my preferences of driving something that is over 200 inches long and it being too big/bulky to do things with when I have an Escape that fits better into spots and is easier to maneuver. 

I'm not sure what Ford would gain with having an Explorer, Explorer "Max" and an Expedition and Expedition Max all roughly around the same size as one another.

Yes, I'm thinking of Traverse and Enclave. They are a bit bigger than Explorer with significantly more accommodating 3rd row. I think the new Explorer will do fine against Traverse and Enclave so it's probably not a high priority project but it may be something worth looking at if they can do it without breaking the bank. 

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm assuming he's talking about the Traverse

The Traverse is about 5-6 inches longer then the 2020 Explorer and what he's talking about is a stretched out Explorer that would compete against it with more conventional styling. IMO I don't think the market is really that big with it, but it could be just my preferences of driving something that is over 200 inches long and it being too big/bulky to do things with when I have an Escape that fits better into spots and is easier to maneuver. 

I'm not sure what Ford would gain with having an Explorer, Explorer "Max" and an Expedition and Expedition Max all roughly around the same size as one another.

Gotcha. If you compare the 1st/2nd/3rd row legroom numbers between the two, it's pretty much a tie, the Traverse wins with more cargo length behind the 3rd seat.  I agree with you on the 200" OAL number, that seems to be the sweet spot for me too.

HRG

3 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Yes, I'm thinking of Traverse and Enclave. They are a bit bigger than Explorer with significantly more accommodating 3rd row. I think the new Explorer will do fine against Traverse and Enclave so it's probably not a high priority project but it may be something worth looking at if they can do it without breaking the bank. 

Agreed. The 3rd row of the Traverse is significantly wider. I looked long and hard at a Traverse, to replace our prev-gen Explorer, since it is one of the few in that class that can fit 48" wide sheet goods.

HRG

Because Aviator is the second Lincoln completely redesigned after Navigator, it has reasonable sales, . Navigator does not seem to maintain a pace of growth to reach Escalade. Nautilus has very good sales and solid growth. The best of expectations are with Corsair to me.

32 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

F Series was also down about 10K in September compared to September 2018.

You have to wonder how many of those 10k of F-Series were stolen by the Ranger. Don't get me wrong I really like my Ranger and I'm glad Ford now has a mid-sized offering, but the Ranger might be stealing some of those F-150 buyers. As a customer more choice is great. As a corporation focusing on profit less choice means more shared components and profit. Since I'm a consumer I'm happy to have the choice.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

You have to wonder how many of those 10k of F-Series were stolen by the Ranger. Don't get me wrong I really like my Ranger and I'm glad Ford now has a mid-sized offering, but the Ranger might be stealing some of those F-150 buyers. As a customer more choice is great. As a corporation focusing on profit less choice means more shared components and profit. Since I'm a consumer I'm happy to have the choice.

I don't believe it's many. There's not that many attractive lease offers on Ranger at the moment, yet at the same time I've seen crazy deals on F-150s. I've been keeping a close eye on it since my Focus is on its last legs. 

On 10/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, rmc523 said:

Consider that if Lincoln kept the naming scheme going with the MK (insert favorite consonant here) there would be no change in the charts. Another way to look at it is Escape (and Explorer) got a re-design as well and the sales charts don't break out "old" Escape and "new" Escape....

Edited by twintornados