Ford issues new recalls for 2019 F-Series Super Duty, 2020 Explorer and Escape

How do you have a steel issue? How does that not get discovered in random part testing? I'm starting to think Chicago is not capable of making a quality product. Keep reading awful QC of Explorer.I'm not sure why but if I were that plant manager I wouldn't get too comfortable....or maybe that's the problem?

This is the exact reason why Henry Ford wanted to control the construction of every component of his vehicles....every recall points to a vendor of a component or part.

Ford didn't make the axle, it was from a vendor

Ford didn't make the seat back retainer, it was from a vendor

Ford didn't make the harness, it was from a vendor

seeing a pattern here....vendor makes it....but Ford owns it when something goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, twintornados said:

This is the exact reason why Henry Ford wanted to control the construction of every component of his vehicles....every recall points to a vendor of a component or part.

Ford didn't make the axle, it was from a vendor

Ford didn't make the seat back retainer, it was from a vendor

Ford didn't make the harness, it was from a vendor

seeing a pattern here....vendor makes it....but Ford owns it when something goes wrong.

Yes,  I do see a pattern. The harness not being secured doesn't sound like a supplier issue to me though. It's sounds like an assembly issue. I could totally be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.

I'm wondering how much responsibility the vendor shoulders in these cases?

• Like 1

Speaking from the vendor side, this is what happens when there is a continuing squeeze on pricing. To keep a contract one must continually reduce the cost per unit. One way is to offer a less expensive material, and I have seen it approved (probably without input from engineering). It is a constant race to the bottom.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yes,  I do see a pattern. The harness not being secured doesn't sound like a supplier issue to me though. It's sounds like an assembly issue. I could totally be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.

I'm wondering how much responsibility the vendor shoulders in these cases?

I would agree about the harness, but thinking that if the harness was not made correctly or the securing tab was either substandard or not placed correctly...lots of "wiggle room" to point fingers.