1050 ft lbs, How'd they do it?

• 2 weeks later...

These things really are the ICBMs of the truck world, you just know that

GM and FCA are not going to sit back and admit they're beaten....

7.3 is looming large as a good alternative for those who want more power

without paying $8,000 for a diesel, that's going to attract even more buyers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'm sure Ford left plenty in reserve to retune it for higher performance later too.  The first ones coming in at a more mild tune will help build reliability reputation.

15 minutes ago, Stampede.Offroad said:

I'm sure Ford left plenty in reserve to retune it for higher performance later too.  The first ones coming in at a more mild tune will help build reliability reputation.

I think the whole idea of the 7.3 is fuel efficiency with a load, those HP and torque numbers

are achieved with much leaner mixtures than you'd see in  a high performance application.

45 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Both the 7.3L gasser and the revised 6.7L diesel PLUS the 10 speed transmission have to make the Medium Duty buyers (F600, F650, F750) happy to be called a success !

The 10 Speed auto will not be available in F650/F750, stripped chassis F53/F59, and E-Series...they will get the 6 speed auto with the new 7.3L gasser.

Odd to note that F-450 pickup will not be available with the new gas motor....strange exclusion indeed.

image.png.6ad3f28dd5eb15eacd2cf8f1e626cf9e.png

Edited by twintornados

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

The 10 Speed auto will not be available in F650/F750, stripped chassis F53/F59, and E-Series...they will get the 6 speed auto with the new 7.3L gasser.

Odd to note that F-450 pickup will not be available with the new gas motor....strange exclusion indeed.

image.png.6ad3f28dd5eb15eacd2cf8f1e626cf9e.png

At first glance, the F450 Pick up would seem to be basically an F350 Pick up with a heavy duty rear axle,

I think a lot of pick up buyers  skip F450  and just go straight to the higher capacity F550 Pick up.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:42 PM, jpd80 said:

These things really are the ICBMs of the truck world, you just know that

GM and FCA are not going to sit back and admit they're beaten....

$10.5k upcharge for Diesel with the 20’s.

I look forward to ordering a 7.3 at $1700 upcharge.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

At first glance, the F450 Pick up would seem to be basically an F350 Pick up with a heavy duty rear axle,

I think a lot of pick up buyers  skip F450  and just go straight to the higher capacity F550 Pick up.

You do get the wide track super 60 front axle also along with the 19.5” 10 lug rims also.

The lack of the 7.3 450 pickup is pretty dumb IMO. Heck I think the video Ford used to announce the 7.3 had a 450 running around.

42 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

You do get the wide track super 60 front axle also along with the 19.5” 10 lug rims also.

The lack of the 7.3 450 pickup is pretty dumb IMO. Heck I think the video Ford used to announce the 7.3 had a 450 running around.

The F450 Pick up is all about Max Payload and Max Towing in a Super Duty so therefore the Diesel is the only choice.

Once you step up to Medium Duty, the 7.3 is back in F550, F600 as well as the  F650 /F750 (may take longer to switch).

2020-ford-super-duty-towing-chart-regula

2020-ford-super-duty-towing-chart-goosen

2020-ford-super-duty-towing-chart-crew-c

Edited by jpd80

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

The F450 Pick up is all about Max Payload and Max Towing in a Super Duty so therefore the Diesel is the only choice.

Once you step up to Medium Duty, the 7.3 is back in F550, F600 as well as the  F650 /F750 (may take longer to switch).

Wouldn’t max payload be the 7.3?? 

10 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

Wouldn’t max payload be the 7.3?? 

Maybe I misspoke with max payload but the big push with F450 has been 37,000 lb towing to beat Ram and GM.

I'm willing to bet that Ford knows its customers and how they use their trucks, the 7.3 and 6.2 in F350 makes very

good sense and perhaps where a lot of sales go, skip F450 and then come back with 7.3 in F550 and F600.

Edited by jpd80

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Except, according to the chart, there is no F550 pickup...just chassis/cab.

13 hours ago, twintornados said:

Except, according to the chart, there is no F550 pickup...just chassis/cab.

Not just that but lots of options and trims are not available with chassis cab while 450 pickup offers everything. Motor is detuned in chassis cabs also.

Edited by Steve557

7 hours ago, Steve557 said:

Not just that but lots of options and trims are not available with chassis cab while 450 pickup offers everything. Motor is defined in chassis cabs also.

When you're talking F450 Pick up in Limited, King Ranch, Platinum, you're talking $70K-$80K trucks

if there was a market for a 7.3 v8 gas engine, then surely Ford would be offering one...

It kinda tells you that,

1. Ford just doesn't think that buyers really want the 7.3 gasoline engine in the pick up....or

2. Ford is protecting its premium diesel sales in the pick up and doesn't want them replaced with cheaper 7.3 V8.

Edited by jpd80