Differential maintenance

jcartwright99

I have been pretty good about the maintenance for my 2017 Fusion. I did have a question though. What if any kind of maintenance does the rear differential require? I am assuming at some point I should change the fluid. I tend to follow a more severe maintenance schedule since I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic.

The PTU is more of a concern than the rear diff.  It's also considerably more difficult to change since Ford thinks it's a 150K item.  I think 30K on the PTU fluid is a safe bet but the rear diff could probably go 60K or longer - I don't think it's a problem area.   What does the OM say?

33 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I have been pretty good about the maintenance for my 2017 Fusion. I did have a question though. What if any kind of maintenance does the rear differential require? I am assuming at some point I should change the fluid. I tend to follow a more severe maintenance schedule since I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic.

Hi jcartwright. If I remember correctly, there is no "Scheduled maintenance" of the differential. However, many owners change the fluid at 50,000 miles. Some even earlier, like 30,000. Of course, some never do. I change mine at 50,000 miles.

For the transmission itself,  "Scheduled maintenance" is at 150,000 miles. I change mine at 75,000.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

I recently changed the PTU fluid at 40k. Already flushed the trans around 35k. I will probably changed the rear differential at 50. I'll probably follow those intervals the next time I change. I may just do a drain and fill on the trans next time though.

You can easily do a 3x drain and fill on the 6F35 (drain, refill, drive a few days, repeat).  That gets most of the old fluid out.