Hitch Cover

jfischetti

So it looks like the hitch cover on the 2020 Aviator is an all-or-nothing affair, where the cover is either on and covering the entire hitch receiver and plugs, or it's off and exposing the entire area.  While I realize that the designers pretty much want the hitch hidden because it messes up the look of the car, there are definitely times where I would want the hitch connected for say, a weekend without that inelegant open look.   Hoping there might be an additional cover to allow hitch to come thru bumper without all that exposed area.

These images were from the latest video from Aviator Complete Video Guide from Long McArthur Ford Lincoln

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_AKJ20kMg&feature=youtu.be

Messages Image(2298593340).png

Messages Image(2451779673).png

Edited by jfischetti

33 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

Yes  I plan to do the same if there is not an add'l version to accommodate the hitch.  I was figuring i could use a digital caliper to measure from the top of the trim piece to each of the corners of the hitch receiver to figure the space to cut.  

What about the light connector?  You going to make a hole for that too?

HRG

I live in NYC, so the hitch is actually a good deterrent from people bumping me (not that I park on the street a lot).   I frequently use the hitch transport 420 sailboats so I tend to leave it on to be functional and good protection.   I figure I’d rather have just the hitch hole in the second cover and I would remove for actual trailering l when I need to plug it in. 

• 1 month later...

I actually found and ordered the part yesterday.  This is the plastic part, not the primed piece that gets car color 

19D528

Cap

Part# 17F000

Usages: 05/06/2019, CTV Lincoln Aviator 2020-, Towing Pack 1, Wheel Lip Moulding - Moulded Black

MSRP:  $85.86

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bumpers/bumper-assy-rear-11575349-1?dealerId=22178&catalogId=251&langId=-1&storeId=1405&krypto=2P9fj5vTMKCaQWYZXSZimUYhpsZBhI3uNDFCvV61EletZyqgxcmcljwvPshG5F7qGbkL9yUMcaG%2Bb3v21lNOU7awnsEZmMbIItLx2YOH3XQ%3D

Is the trailer harness plug set back far enough where you can have the hinged plug cover open and still have the bumper cover installed?

I ask because I believe if the car thinks there is a trailer connected, the auto stop/start is disabled.  So installing a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter may "fool" the car, even if you had to install a jumper to run a light when you stepped on the brakes and just tuck that light up under the bumper so it's out of sight may solve the auto stop/start issue for those of us that don't like it and don't want to go through the menu every ignition cycle.

Aviator Auto Stop Start.pdf

Edited by T hawker
add attachment

My Hitch and adapter are currently attached to the car and Auto Start/Stop does engage.  The bumper cover is not on, but i believe that an "adapted" cover with hole for hitch receiver will fit back on the car with hinged plug cover open - not sure about adding a jumper though.   I will confirm tonight for you.

Edited by jfischetti

8 minutes ago, T hawker said:

Is the trailer harness plug set back far enough where you can have the hinged plug cover open and still have the bumper cover installed?

I ask because I believe if the car thinks there is a trailer connected, the auto stop/start is disabled.  So installing a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter may "fool" the car, even if you had to install a jumper to run a light when you stepped on the brakes and just tuck that light up under the bumper so it's out of sight may solve the auto stop/start issue for those of us that don't like it and don't want to go through the menu every ignition cycle.

I wonder if one of these would have enough "load" to disable?

HRG

61OPp54BTyL._SX466_.jpg

1 hour ago, T hawker said:

You might want to look at one of these.  I think it would be a better solution.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/products-for-lincoln-vehicles/products/2020-lincoln-aviator-autostop-eliminator

Yes, thank you for the link.  I will order one from AutoStopElinminator for my mothers MKC, she already dislikes the auto start/stop and she's only had the car for a week.  I thought she would have problems with the push button transmission, she says to me "it's no different then my 1960 Dodge Dart I had"  ?