Unknown Mule (most likely NG Edge)

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

Only real advantage would be a more powerful and better balanced Edge ST and the potential for a CD6 RWD midsized sedan/white space vehicle on the same platform.

Not to mention push Lincoln higher (unless we somehow get Edge on a C2 platform and Nautilus on CD6).

43 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

In the Ford universe of consolidated platforms, how could CD6 only be used on Explorer/Aviator? Wouldn't it (of necessity) have to be used for other products?

my question, too

But I believe the all new Chinese Taurus moves to CD6 too

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

In the Ford universe of consolidated platforms, how could CD6 only be used on Explorer/Aviator? Wouldn't it (of necessity) have to be used for other products?

Only the Taurus and Continental are on the D side of CD, so if they get a next generation they would have to move to CD6 architecture.  But most don’t think those vehicles will get a next gen.

On the C side you have Edge/Nautilus/MKZ/Fusion/Mondeo which could go CD6 or go on a stretched C2.  

Its clear they intended more vehicles (sedans) on cd6 at some point but I think they changed their mind.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Only the Taurus and Continental are on the D side of CD, so if they get a next generation they would have to move to CD6 architecture.  But most don’t think those vehicles will get a next gen.

On the C side you have Edge/Nautilus/MKZ/Fusion/Mondeo which could go CD6 or go on a stretched C2.  

Its clear they intended more vehicles (sedans) on cd6 at some point but I think they changed their mind.

When you consider Continental with suicide doors is 120” wheelbase then CD4 actually seems to cover C, D and E cars

2 hours ago, akirby said:

If there is a next generation Continental and big Ford sedan, they're likely to be EVs, not on CD6.

7 hours ago, twintornados said:

Why would it?

See below.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Only real advantage would be a more powerful and better balanced Edge ST and the potential for a CD6 RWD midsized sedan/white space vehicle on the same platform.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Not to mention push Lincoln higher (unless we somehow get Edge on a C2 platform and Nautilus on CD6).

I had that thought as well, but I don't know if it is worth the expense to differentiate them that much.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I have a feeling those high performance CD6 vehicles will end up being BEVs instead.

Correct,  CD6  Explorer and Aviator projects were begun four years ago when the situation was completely different.

Early cancellation of CD6 cars would suggest that  the new Crossover BEVs planned for 2023 are their replacements.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct,  CD6  Explorer and Aviator projects were begun four years ago when the situation was completely different.

Early cancellation of CD6 cars would suggest that  the new Crossover BEVs planned for 2023 are their replacements.

The only problem with this is that they are only planning, 40K BEVs when the Edge/Nautilus sell 4x that amount in a year? I don't think we are going to see that fast of a change in the market to BEVs in the next 5 years...maybe 10 or so 

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Might there be a possibility that (in the same vein as Jeep) certain Bronco 'family' products could appear on CD6 - i.e. unibody products? 

It just ,seems impossible that Ford would have put the investment into CD6 for very little product support - it's a direct contradiction to what they have stated publicly to be their intention for consolidation. 

19 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Might there be a possibility that (in the same vein as Jeep) certain Bronco 'family' products could appear on CD6 - i.e. unibody products? 

It just ,seems impossible that Ford would have put the investment into CD6 for very little product support - it's a direct contradiction to what they have stated publicly to be their intention for consolidation. 

The Explorer is the third best overall selling product in the Ford lineup and given the pricing of it, I don't think there is an issue of support with it. I'm sure that lots parts of the CD6 or whatever they are calling it, are shared with the smaller C platform to help with costs. 

Outside of a NG Mustang, I don't see much in the way of expansion for it, given how the market is going. If demand goes back to cars, maybe we will see something else car based. 

27 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

When CD6 started there were more products planned for sure.  But the strategy was simply to have one of each type/size platform, so CD6 is the mid to large sized unibody platform whether it supports 2 vehicles or 6.   Just like medium BOF truck only has 2 - Ranger and Bronco.  Full sized truck has 4 - F150, Super Duty, Expy and Navi.  

Apparently Explorer and Aviator are big enough both from a volume and revenue standpoint that it made sense to continue with them alone on CD6 (for now at least).

• Like 1