Unknown Mule (most likely NG Edge)

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Just like medium BOF truck only has 2 - Ranger and Bronco.  Full sized truck has 4 - F150, Super Duty, Expy and Navi.  

The weird thing about that is Ford is referring to the 3 of those (4 actually since Expy/Navi is so heavily modified there's not much F-150 left in it) as 1 architecture even though they really don't have much to do with one another. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

When CD6 started there were more products planned for sure.  But the strategy was simply to have one of each type/size platform, so CD6 is the mid to large sized unibody platform whether it supports 2 vehicles or 6.   Just like medium BOF truck only has 2 - Ranger and Bronco.  Full sized truck has 4 - F150, Super Duty, Expy and Navi.  

Apparently Explorer and Aviator are big enough both from a volume and revenue standpoint that it made sense to continue with them alone on CD6 (for now at least).

Or Explorer (and MKT/blank space for Lincoln) was so outdated as it was, and so much was already poured into CD6, they couldn't afford to pivot away from it/develop a timely replacement for those products on another (likely BEV) platform, but they were willing to bite the bullet on the sedan investment with the market changing.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The weird thing about that is Ford is referring to the 3 of those (4 actually since Expy/Navi is so heavily modified there's not much F-150 left in it) as 1 architecture even though they really don't have much to do with one another. 

Maybe it's just a marketing ploy to look better to Wall Street & Co.....i.e. "Look we're following the consolidation/modular approach too".

Huh?  The architecture is clearly shared.  They don’t have to be identical.

17 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Moving the Edge to RWD makes sense if they actually do not have a 3-row Edge int he next gen. It would be too close to the Explorer then.

It would also open the door for the midsize Euro 3 row crossover they are planning. 

The Baby Explorer is around the size of the Escape. So they could offer a 2-Row & 3-row version of the Escape. Then let the Edge go to CD6 and be a shorter, sportier version of the Explorer. A CD6 Edge would be a good replacement for my Fusion Sport.

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The only problem with this is that they are only planning, 40K BEVs when the Edge/Nautilus sell 4x that amount in a year? I don't think we are going to see that fast of a change in the market to BEVs in the next 5 years...maybe 10 or so 

But they're not replacing Edge/Nautilus, the BEVs will be crossovers that replace Ford/Lincoln cars

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Up to 70% of development cost goes into the front end with frame/crash protection cell/ engine bay  and firewall.

Think of all the important things that are shared rather than what's different. Under the skin, everything up to the B pillar is common.

On Edge/Nautilus, I think the decision was made to keep them on CD4-->C2 to save transitional cost

as it stays in the same "house" and basically becomes a heavy evolution rather than full change (CD6).

Not sure what the plan will be in regards 2-row and 3-row bodies but both types would give Ford

an opportunity to take those vehicles in different directions...or maybe that's for the BEV crossovers

This is not a Ford vehicle of any kind.  The 2023 Edge is still in early development and is based on their FWD architecture (I'm not clear on the platform at this point, which is not the same as "architecture").  The team that designed the 2020 Escape is working on the new Edge, I actually got to talk to lead designer and they are still workshopping their direction on design.  You won't see vehicles running around for a few more years.  BTW, that greenhouse has no parts visibly recognizable as a current Ford, take a look again at a Ford Edge, very different.  

Ford will have a 3rd Midsized utility BEV for 2023 to be built at Flatrock alongside a Lincoln version.  It's a larger more premium utility than the Mach E.  Something to consider when you think about the scope of their midsize lineup by 2023.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Up to 70% of development cost goes into the front end with frame/crash protection cell/ engine bay  and firewall.

Think of all the important things that are shared rather than what's different. Under the skin, everything up to the B pillar is common.

I've seen the firewall/cowl for both the Ranger and F-150. They’re not even close to the same....

There is zero commonality between T6 and F-series 

I thought you were talking about F150, SD, Navi and Expy being different.  I see where Ford said body on frame RWD/AWD is one architecture which would include Ranger.  But I bet that’s really the next gen platform not T6.

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've seen the firewall/cowl for both the Ranger and F-150. They’re not even close to the same....

I was talking about F150 - Expedition/Navigator,  Ranger and F150 will never be on a common platform

at least not this side of 2028. The frames cannot be modular/scaled as they're specific design.

It's amazing how many people think that computers can speed up truck design to a matter of months

instead of four or five years, they just don't understand how much goes into a major project.

The complexity of the Ranger Everest project towers over  F150,  so much work was put

into covering so many global markets

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, barney9014 said:

456B6C8C-8D9F-482D-A98E-59CE145310DD.png

E5D991B6-F6BC-42AC-B5CC-5981F9D63C69.jpeg

Look at the A-Pillar and compare the greenhouse elements, cut lines, and side mirror.  They look broadly similar, but they are not the same.  The side view mirror was actually the first giveaway to me, that is not a Ford part.  But then you look at the Edge's current greenhouse and you'll see that there is a larger A-Pillar trim piece with a cutline pretty far back.  The A-Pillar also has a fender joint where the Ford design does not (it use to in the first generation).  

Edited by Assimilator

Welcome back Assimilator.

I'm wondering if this is a new Mazda / non-Ford  vehicle?

Would the dog be a easter egg that it's a Chrysler?

What you're saying regarding 2023 Edge rings true in that CD4 is being rolled back under C2, so probably

like new Escape with a better, lighter top hat as well as new power trains and electrical systems.

If the new Edge is not due until 2023 YM then this must be something else...

Clearly, Ford has been changing plans for at least the past four years and I think Fields was a casualty of that,

we know that Ford is notorious for riding product cycles into the ground, maybe that was an opportunity for them

to take a breath and  maybe skip the CD6 RWD cars and crossovers and go straight to BEVs..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

Let’s hope like hell they make it look nothing like the Escape. 

I'm generally unmoved by Ford design right now, although the company's engineering excellence has never been better.  I would like to see more innovation on the customer tangibles and amenities.  

Edited by Assimilator

Ford seems to be really ramping up the prices in mid and higher trim levels as discussed in '20 Explorer thread.

If Ford intends pursuing that premium pricing policy, then they have to back it up with  more for the customer,

they cannot/ must not become so preoccupied with ROI that they give companies like Hyundai or Kia an easy

opportunity to pinch sales with well appointed  vehicles that are close to $10K-$12K less.

Edited by jpd80