Unknown Mule (most likely NG Edge)

Fair enough.  But I have squeaks and rattles in my 2017 Fusion Sport that has 16k miles.  Do you think the Ford dealer service department is going to resolve those?  Doubtful.  I have never  owned anything other than a Ford/Lincoln product, but don’t act like Ford Service treats abnormal wear and tear/squeaks/rattles any differently than other manufacturers.  

4 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The 202A package is kinda like the way Apple treats storage upgrades on their most expensive iPhone, they make 64GB standard so they force you to spend way more on something that doesn't cost nearly that much.  It's good business I know, but it makes you lose interest in Explorer pretty quickly when you realize how much you have to spend to make just one step up on XLT.  Essentially the real price of the Explorer is XLT+ 202A.  Nobody is going to buy the fleet special.

The only Explorers that stand out to me is the ST, you won't find competition that can compete with that.  The Platinum is less convincing with Aviator, especially with the significantly detuned version of the 3.0T.  The Hybrid also doesn't make any sense unless you're a fleet customer that drives primarily city. It's an interesting Hybrid because it's more capable, but the fuel savings are almost negligible and worse with AWD.  I'm curious about towing economy, but that's also a niche application.   But for the rest, Explorer offers a great base drivetrain with excellent economy with most of the amenities people expect...just nothing more despite the huge price increases.  So if your'e going to spend this much on Explorer,  might as well check all the boxes.  Otherwise, you can probably find better products for the money elsewhere...until they start rising prices too. 

A $12,000 gap between  the $36K XLT and $48K Limited is unjustifiable and pretentious,

it also sets the price gap for ST at $54,700 and again, Platinum at $58K is just a joke.

In fact, I think that pricing will achieve the very opposite to what Ford hopes and divide

buyers into two groups, those that buy basic or optioned XLT  and those wanting the ST.

I think that Limited and Platinum will be ignored, Platinum used to be the faux-Aviator

so now it's basically redundant.

Limited RWD should be $43K, from there,  we see how Ford's pricing falls apart very quickly,

ST and Platinum should be  $50K models pairing Sports and upper Luxury

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Fair enough.  But I have squeaks and rattles in my 2017 Fusion Sport that has 16k miles.  Do you think the Ford dealer service department is going to resolve those?  Doubtful.  I have never  owned anything other than a Ford/Lincoln product, but don’t act like Ford Service treats abnormal wear and tear/squeaks/rattles any differently than other manufacturers.  

Sorry to hear about your squeaks and rattles. My 2017 does not. Only had 2 issues with mine one super minor the other one not. Both were take care of under warranty.

1. Sunglass holder wouldn’t stay shut.

2. PTU leak

A coworker I know had a KIA that required timing belt changed around 50k. She didn’t know this as she didn’t read the manual. Her warranty claim got denied after she had an engine issue a blown engine at 65k.

If you have squeaks and rattles and it bothers you, take it in. Take a video with your phone while it’s happening. It’s kinda pain I know but a good dealership will usually be able to find the issue. It’s up to you to use or lose that warranty.

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Sorry to hear about your squeaks and rattles. My 2017 does not. Only had 2 issues with mine one super minor the other one not. Both were take care of under warranty.

1. Sunglass holder wouldn’t stay shut.

2. PTU leak

A coworker I know had a KIA that required timing belt changed around 50k. She didn’t know this as she didn’t read the manual. Her warranty claim got denied after she had an engine issue a blown engine at 65k.

If you have squeaks and rattles and it bothers you, take it in. Take a video with your phone while it’s happening. It’s kinda pain I know but a good dealership will usually be able to find the issue. It’s up to you to use or lose that warranty.

Yeah I’ve had multiple issues with mine.  Nothing major (mismatched paint/dust/imperfections under clear coat, rusted rotor hat which they won’t replace, bulge in one of the tires which they won’t replace, transmission that is the worst shifting auto I’ve ever owned but it’s “normal”, clicking noise from the front driver-side wheel area—“tie rod” end was replaced).  
I’ve had no luck with dealer service departments fixing interior rattles in the past and I’m not about to let them tear into the dash only to cause more issues.  That said, ebery brand has issues, warranty works the same.  Owners should be more aware and take advantage of service requirements to maintain the warranty.  I have the 8yr/100k premium care ESP on my Fusion so I’m not concerned.

I will say, not sure what about it, but my LS's never had any squeaks or rattles.  My driveway apron is steap so I have to take it in an angle which is a platform nightmare and NEVER had any noise come from it.

But I do have a friend who works for the service dept at Hyundai, and he tells me about horror stories he deal with.  One customer didn't have any oil in the engine, where it seized up and they went ahead and covered the engine replacement.  Sometimes those details will make a loyal customer....

My 2015 Edge has always been a rattle trap. It spent many weeks at dealers when new trying to get them resolved, and at some point I just gave up. I think part of it was it was early production in an all new model.  My 2010 Flex on the other hand is a tank, and has nary a rattle at 130k miles. 

Edited by sullynd

10 hours ago, sullynd said:

My 2015 Edge has always been a rattle trap. It spent many weeks at dealers when new trying to get them resolved, and at some point I just gave up. I think part of it was it was early production in an all new model.  My 2010 Flex on the other hand is a tank, and has nary a rattle at 130k miles. 

I had a Flex rental one time-and the dash made some seriously bad sqeaking/moaning coming from the dash when we went over the Delaware memorial bridge