Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control

JohnLouis

Now that the vehicle reads the speed limit signs while in cruise control; if there is a decrease in speed due to the speed limit signs, and the vehicle makes that change and slows down, does it turn on the brake lights (at least flashes them) to indicate to drivers behind that you are slowing down?          

From the 2020 Aviator Owners Manual 2nd printing:

”ABOUT INTELLIGENT ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
Intelligent adaptive cruise control combines speed sign recognition with adaptive cruise control to adjust the cruise set speed to the speed limit detected by the speed sign recognition system. For example, if the speed sign recognition system detects a 50 mph (80 km/h) speed limit, the cruise set speed is updated to 50 mph (80 km/h).”

My assumption on brake light function is that they would act as if Cruise Control was not involved: if the system applies the brakes to slow down the brake lights would come on and if the system slows only by decreasing accelerator they would not.

3 hours ago, JohnLouis said:

Now that the vehicle reads the speed limit signs while in cruise control; if there is a decrease in speed due to the speed limit signs, and the vehicle makes that change and slows down, does it turn on the brake lights (at least flashes them) to indicate to drivers behind that you are slowing down?          

Yes, it speeds up or slows down.  Brake lights do come on when it slows.  You can also bias it + or - 20mph, so if you always do 8 over, you just set it and it will go from 78 down to 68 from a 70 to 60 zone.  It worked well on the one I had for a weekend.

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Yes, it speeds up or slows down.  Brake lights do come on when it slows.  You can also bias it + or - 20mph, so if you always do 8 over, you just set it and it will go from 78 down to 68 from a 70 to 60 zone.  It worked well on the one I had for a weekend.

I wish the +/- was a percentage not mph.  Not sure were you would want to say + 20mph, but would probably say + 20% almost everywhere.

To Mustangchief - Thanks!  The change in speed happens almost instantaneously. Here in NJ many country roads go straight from 50 to 35 mph and that is a dramatic instant reduction.  It's good to know that the brakes lights at least flash warning those behind.

• 1 month later...