Car & Driver 2020 Explorer vs. Telluride Comparison

12 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I had my trans reflashed and it’s smooth as butter.

Good to hear Anthony sir! Do you have the TSB number or PCM software version number handy for the reflash applied to your truck?

On my truck, the 1-2 and 7-8 upshifts and 2-1 downshift will sometimes exhibit a moderate "bump" feel. But I don't consider it a malfunction or anything dangerous. 

Again not a big deal, just curious if the reflash you got addressed the same or similar issues.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/palisade/2020/2020-ford-explorer-vs-2020-hyundai-palisade-family-suv-comparison/

How about an Explorer XLT RWD vs Palisade Limited AWD on and off road comparison!  Are they serious... give me a true comparison with equal trim levels and an equal number of drive wheels and let me worry about price.

Edited by CoolScoop

37 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/palisade/2020/2020-ford-explorer-vs-2020-hyundai-palisade-family-suv-comparison/

How about an Explorer XLT RWD vs Palisade Limited AWD on and off road comparison!  Are they serious... give me a true comparison with equal trim levels and an equal number of drive wheels and let me worry about price.

Not a Motor Trend apologist, but to be fair, in the article they did state that they asked for an AWD unit, but were provided this one.  They also said that the AWD units they have driven performed well on the off road course....

46 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

How about an Explorer XLT RWD vs Palisade Limited AWD on and off road comparison! 

The only time owners of Explorer XLT RWD or Palisade Limited AWD will go off road is when they miss the driveway at 3 AM and touch the lawn. Both vehicles should be equally capable there. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The only time owners of Explorer XLT RWD or Palisade Limited AWD will go off road is when they miss the driveway at 3 AM and touch the lawn. Both vehicles should be equally capable there. 

I suppose being in California, you've never been on an unpaved, muddy road to the cottage. 

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good to hear Anthony sir! Do you have the TSB number or PCM software version number handy for the reflash applied to your truck?

On my truck, the 1-2 and 7-8 upshifts and 2-1 downshift will sometimes exhibit a moderate "bump" feel. But I don't consider it a malfunction or anything dangerous. 

Again not a big deal, just curious if the reflash you got addressed the same or similar issues.

Sure, it is TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

Note: I bought one of the original Ranger builds when it first came out.  This is only for vehicles built on or before 11-Feb-2019.  If yours was built after that, it should already have the newer software.

19-2052.thumb.JPG.f5f35e8d300f5b6aecb7b535a6910c16.JPG

Edited by Anthony
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I don't recall a TSB specifically for rough shifting but I know that some people have taken their cars in and had a reflash done that corrected the issue.     

An awful lot of the time, clearing transmission adaptives and performing the adaptive relearn get them straightened up, with or without software.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

An awful lot of the time, clearing transmission adaptives and performing the adaptive relearn get them straightened up, with or without software.

So,  the adaptive tech outsmarting itself and causing a lot of the problems.

Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

To me the Explorer vs Telluride comparison  underscores a looming price problem for Ford,

one that wasn't there in the previous model

Model..................2019 Explorer............2020 Explorer

Base.......................$32,365.....................$32,765................an increase of $400

XLT 2WD.................$34,400....................$36,675................an increase of $2,275

Limited 2WD..........$42,765.....................$48,130...............an increase of $5,365

Sport/ST................$46,625.....................$54,740................an increase of $8,115

Platinum................$54,165.....................$58,250................an increase of $4,085

If an XLT buyer is already being charged $2,275 more than last years model,

is it fair that they be asked to pay another $11,455  to move to a Limited 2WD

when the gap last year was $8,365?  The gap from XLT to ST is even bigger

than last years XLT to Sport.

As of 1 October, Explorer inventory is already at 50,000 due to factory issues

and if buyers don't warm to those hefty price increases, Ford could soon find

itself in a real pickle with lots of stock and not enough buyers....

Bottom line here is that I don't believe that returning Explorer buyers will accept that pricing,

it's the same sort of RWD Premium pricing we saw over at Cadillac back in 2013....

Happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see this price strategy working the way Ford expects.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

To me the Explorer vs Telluride comparison  underscores a looming price problem for Ford,

one that wasn't there in the previous model

Model..................2019 Explorer............2020 Explorer

Base.......................$32,365.....................$32,765................an increase of $400

XLT 2WD.................$34,400....................$36,675................an increase of $2,275

Limited 2WD..........$42,765.....................$48,130...............an increase of $5,365

Sport/ST................$46,625.....................$54,740................an increase of $8,115

Platinum................$54,165.....................$58,250................an increase of $4,085

If an XLT buyer is already being charged $2,275 more than last years model,

is it fair that they be asked to pay another $11,455  to move to a Limited 2WD

when the gap last year was $8,365?  The gap from XLT to ST is even bigger

than last years XLT to Sport.

As of 1 October, Explorer inventory is already at 50,000 due to factory issues

and if buyers don't warm to those hefty price increases, Ford could soon find

itself in a real pickle with lots of stock and not enough buyers....

Bottom line here is that I don't believe that returning Explorer buyers will accept that pricing,

it's the same sort of RWD Premium pricing we saw over at Cadillac back in 2013....

Happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see this price strategy working the way Ford expects.

But at the same time what is the standard equipment levels for the 2019 vs the 2020?

The Platinum and ST are sprinkle models on the explorer "cake"

Take a look at the 2020 Traverse Pricing:
traverse.PNG.e9b01b8b6267dd2cb4a674477842c48f.PNG

2020 Buick Enclave

Encalve.PNG.8f533c3804d108ca4ecdf5600866c10e.PNG

Honda Passport
passport.PNG.6ef9bcce3977db9c38db7786f87db065.PNG

Toyota Highlander

highlander.PNG.2132adff9bb57f1fd9ef3ba2d1f58cc2.PNG

21 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But at the same time what is the standard equipment levels for the 2019 vs the 2020?

I

21 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I pulled window stickers on base XLT's, the biggest difference in standard equipment seems to be the Sync3 8" system on the 2020, vs the "base" Sync on the 2019.

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But that is base vs base $400 bucks...what about other models?

My comparison was 200A 2wd XLT's, not fleet base. So $2,275 for Sync3, which would have required the 201A package ($2,780) on the 2019.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Platinum and ST are sprinkle models on the explorer "cake"

I get that Platinum and ST are Ford's more opulent models and may be able to carry those prices,

The issue I have is the $36K to $48K bracket ....

what do buyers actually get  in the Limited  over the XLT for that extra ~$11K that they didn't in the 2019 model

when the gap was $8,300?  Limited was only ever XLT + 202A  (~$5K) and I don't think that's changed.

Is Ford simply testing the price tolerance of those buyers?

Edited by jpd80

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I get that Platinum and ST are Ford's more opulent models and may be able to carry those prices,

The issue I have is the $36K to $48K bracket ....

what do buyers actually get  in the Limited  over the XLT for that extra ~$11K that they didn't in the 2019 model

when the gap was $8,300?  Limited was only ever XLT + 202A  (~$5K) and I don't think that's changed.

Is Ford simply testing the price tolerance of those buyers?

The simple answer is to look at the Limited's standard equipment in addition to the XLT's 202A content. I've attached the appropriate page from the 2020 Explorer Order Guide. The major additional content is the addition of the 20" Premium Painted Aluminum Wheels, Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ (Adaptive Cruise Control, Voice-Activated Navigation). 

2020 Explorer 4-Door Order Guide_Limited vs. XLT.pdf

• Like 1