FordPass to remain permanently free

https://www.autonews.com/technology/ford-says-fordpass-connect-telematics-will-remain-free

full article at link above

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. says it will make FordPass Connect permanently free after it initially planned to charge for the telematics service.

The automaker said Monday that customers up to this point have been on a free trial for the service, part of its FordPass mobile app. Software engineers have been tweaking FordPass since its launch in 2016. The FordPass Connect service now allows users to locate their vehicle as well as remotely start it and turn it off. They also can receive vehicle health reports and obtain digital roadside assistance, among other features.

• Like 1

I don't really use the remote start on our MkC because it is the wife's, but the locate feature is super helpful.  I will use that to see where she is at, if she has left work or not, especially when we have to be somewhere, or to figure out where she went if no one is around.  Still have to get Ford Pass setup on her phone so she can see where I am.  I had planned on paying for it, but thankful that I don't have to now.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I didn't realize they were going to charge for it.

I use it fairly often for the remote start when I'm not near the car/within range of the key remote start.

Yeah it was originally announced it was only free for the first year, then there would be a subscription fee.  Glad they didn't do that.  That being said, I don't really use it whole lot.  I have remote start on my Ranger and I think I used it once just to see it work.  It is kinda nice to see how much gas is in the truck though when I cant remember..I know I need to leave 10 minutes earlier to hit the gas station.