Mustang R-Spec released in Oz

It's really just a FP Supercharger and some extra FP kit bolted on by a third party partner here in Oz, but it's great to see Ford Oz officially dipping their toes into the higher performance space and backing it with a factory warranty. There have been a couple of projects over the years that FoA backed away from because they weren't prepared to factory back them. Here's hoping this is just the beginning. 

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-mustang-r-spec-revealed-australia?fbclid=IwAR020YlL-dnw65qu5BjB72qbWAFLuRngM6YzkbVX_n9-QC-J2rHZatfr3hk

More than just a S/C kit,

As the second-stage manufacturer of the R-Spec, Herrod Performance does all the modification work. Ford Australia has confirmed the Mustang R-Spec does however have full Australian Design Rule (ADR) certification [Updated]. Earlier attempts by Ford Australia to sell a supercharged Mustang had been tripped up by ADR issues in the past.

The Mustang’s supercharger kit includes an aluminium high-efficiency intercooler and full-face radiator, fed by a larger front air intake specific to R-Spec.

A unique Herrod Performance exhaust is promised to provide a unique soundtrack for the R-Spec and can still be adjusted through Mustang’s Active Exhaust function.

Firmer Ford Performance springs lower the Mustang R-SPEC by 20mm compared to the regular Mustang GT and are teamed with MagneRide suspension as standard.

The MagneRide system has a unique software calibration for the Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM), which adjusts the damping rate 100 times a second, and is intelligent enough know that the Mustang R-SPEC sits lower.

The handling package also includes Ford Performance adjustable stabiliser bars that measure 37mm (+5mm) front and 25.2mm (+3mm) rear, for greater control and agility.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres as standard provide three different compounds across the treadface for greater dry grip and reduced rolling resistance. The black 19-inch Ford Performance alloy wheels are 9.5-inchers at the front, and 10-inchers at the rear. This is an increase of 0.5mm for both.

The Mustang R-Spec development work and program has included considerable testing and validation at Ford’s You Yangs Proving Ground, with exterior design work carried out at the Broadmeadows-based design studio.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:18 AM, Twin Turbo said:

This is so close to my perfect Mustang it hurts! To be perfect it'd need the 10-speed auto!

I'm from the UK, so I'm hoping Ford UK offer us something similar. But I give Ford Australia and Herrod 10/10 for doing this!

I believe there was an issue with the 10AT calibration which is why they want wit manual trans

but let's face it most Aussie buyers of this car wanted manuals anyway. I recon that they will

eventually offer an auto once they get the mini production line sorted and money coming in.

I could see UK doing the same if interest is strong enough, maybe some LHDs as well for Europe?

I also floated the idea of a run of Cobras next as they're just striped white cars....

One of the gripes here is that we couldn't get PP2 because track increase needs to be approved to 

ADRs (Australia Design rules) and Ford wasn't interested in re-submitting paperwork, I'm hoping

that this car and approvals now cover that oversight.

Just as a heads up,

the converted Camaro ZL1 is AUS $150K,

while the R-Spec Mustang is just under $100K

both have full manufacturer warranty.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

They took a poll? About what? What were the results?

Sorry about the spelling mistake, I copied the text and youtube links  from another forum

and by the time I realised  the error, the editing window had timed out....

Edited by jpd80