Liftgate Not Closing

DCP

2018 Navigator. Sometimes the liftgate will not close with a push of either button. It give one beep when you push the button, but no movement. After you push it closed, everything goes back to normal. Likely to happen if the liftgate is left open for a long time. Didn't see anything in the manual about this. Anyone else experience this?

• Angry 1

• 9 months later...
49 minutes ago, Fox Lake Gal said:

I've had the same thing happen on 2019 Navigator ...now back at dealer for 4th or 5th time ......

when is it time to call Lincoln and tell them I just want a vehicle that works?   i.e. .... replace the darn thing!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Fox Lake Girl. The instructions for beginning a Lemon Law buyback request are in the Warranty Guide we are given when we purchase new. You can also find your State regulations by Googling.

In most case it is something in the realm of the vehicle being back to the Dealer 3 or more times for the same problem, and/or spending 30 days in the shop. Sometimes, the vehicle owner is first required to submit a non-binding (to the vehicle owner) arbitration claim to the BBB Auto Arbitration group (I forget the exact group title).

Obviously, no auto manufacturer normally volunteers to do this, so it is up to the vehicle owner to get the ball rolling.

I would recommend you check your Warranty Guide and call Lincoln Concierge to get started. 

Keep us updated and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Well....I've met the criteria for Lemon Law in Wisconsin -- it's been in 4 times, this last time for over a month.

Have been working with Concierge desk.

They called yesterday to tell me they're sorry, but cannot justify buy back.

One of the things they asked of me was to keep Navigator an additional SIX months -- which would take me thru

the dead of winter in Wisconsin..... I use vehicle several times a week to haul food for our local food pantry, so that's

really not an option if the lift gate won't close. If their engineer couldn't repair at dealer, and asked for 6 months to

rewrite a program ... what should I do?  No, just no!  This is unacceptable on an almost $90K vehicle.

This is my third Navigator -- my husband has had many F-150s and we also have an '88 Mustang with 20,000 miles on it .

Guess it's time to leave Ford/Lincoln?  And to clarify -- I couldn't be happier with my Lincoln dealer and his staff -

they have tried everything. Any ideas who to reach out to next??  Sorry to ramble, but I'm just so disappointed in Lincoln.

We left Cadillac after 15 Cadillacs -- guess I'm beginning to be sorry I left them - they've stood behind their vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my truck a couple days late. Here is what the work order states:

VERIFY CONCERN. SELF TEST, NO CODES. REPROGRAMMED REAR GATE TRUNK MODULE. CONCERN STILL PRESENT. 

R&R LIFTGATE MOTOR AND RETEST, VERIFY REPAIR. 

Hopefully that does the trick. 

Edit: I don' know how to unquote above. 

Edited by Black Label
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Black Label said:

Got my truck a couple days late. Here is what the work order states:

VERIFY CONCERN. SELF TEST, NO CODES. REPROGRAMMED REAR GATE TRUNK MODULE. CONCERN STILL PRESENT. 

R&R LIFTGATE MOTOR AND RETEST, VERIFY REPAIR. 

Hopefully that does the trick. 

Edit: I don' know how to unquote above. 

X

Put the flashing cursor to just below the box (X marks the spot), hit backspace and it should disappear...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox Lake Gal said:

0h no! Not you too!  Plodding along/still arguing with Concierge here.

The other issues that they had my vehicle at the dealership for almost 2 weeks did not get fixed. They replaced the APIM and I still have the same issues. No one seems to be able to give me an answer on if I am off my rocker on how I think some things should function. But, perusing review videos on YouTube, I can see vehicles function properly and in contrast to what mine does. Why can't anyone at Lincoln give an answer on how its vehicles were designed to function? Ridiculous. 

I'm about to call the Concierge. I suspect it isn't going to be pretty. I have been a big time Lincoln cheerleader but all this technology stuff has me really soured. And, frankly, the owner experience, and particularly having purchased a Black Label, is severely lacking. 

• Angry 1

25 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

The more stuff they put into the cars, the more that can and will go wrong.

No doubt, and maybe that is true with other luxury makes as well, but the entire owner experience for me as a Black Label owner has been a ruse. Just spent an hour on the phone with a Concierge. Maybe now the experience will improve moving forward, but I have my doubts. 

Edited by Black Label
Poor typing. Unlike Lincoln, I went back and fixed my error. Kidding...sort of.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Black Label or not, dealers are still independent businesses and there are good ones and bad ones.

It's like a lot of things on life. Black Label dealerships accept the status and thus the level of service expected of being branded Black Label. If I go to a McDonald's, they have accepted all the standards set forth to be a franchisee. It doesn't matter that they are indecent businesses. If they don't get it together through corporate contacts after constant complaints, they will likely be shown the door. 

I doubt that will happen with any Lincoln dealer, but all Have at my disposal is to call the Concierge until something gets done. Or, my days as a Lincoln owner are done. It's amazing, as nice as the vehicle is otherwise, these software glitches and ownership experience deficiencies will drive me away. 

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

It's like a lot of things on life. Black Label dealerships accept the status and thus the level of service expected of being branded Black Label. If I go to a McDonald's, they have accepted all the standards set forth to be a franchisee. It doesn't matter that they are indecent businesses. If they don't get it together through corporate contacts after constant complaints, they will likely be shown the door. 

There are no state laws that prevent McDonalds from controlling their franchisees.  Literally the only thing Lincoln can do against a poor dealer is limit their allocations and other minor things.  They can’t do what you want them to do and it’s frustrating for both Ford and customers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are no state laws that prevent McDonalds from controlling their franchisees.  Literally the only thing Lincoln can do against a poor dealer is limit their allocations and other minor things.  They can’t do what you want them to do and it’s frustrating for both Ford and customers.

I think we agree. All Lincoln can do is strip them or threaten to strip them of the Black Label branding status and whatever benefits that entails. 

You should see Ogden Lincoln in Westmont, IL. I assume no one from Lincoln has ever stopped by there. It is a stand alone crap hole of a dealership. Dirty, very small. Perpetually being "remodeled" but it  looks like you walked back in to 1998 when you go there. Total embarrassment. Every other dealership on that road is in new buildings. Not the Lincoln dealership. 

3 hours ago, Black Label said:

You should see Ogden Lincoln in Westmont, IL. I assume no one from Lincoln has ever stopped by there. It is a stand alone crap hole of a dealership. Dirty, very small. Perpetually being "remodeled" but it  looks like you walked back in to 1998 when you go there. Total embarrassment. Every other dealership on that road is in new buildings. Not the Lincoln dealership. 

And that’s the advantage the newer brands have.  Lexus doesn’t have franchisees left over from the 60s.

• Like 1