Fusion styled crossover?

I know they don't seem to be focusing on quality these days, but this is HORRID.  Look at that wavy rear quarter panel window and sheetmetal.  Exposed bolts holding panels on.  GOODNESS.  How Ford has gone downhill......

Lol.  I wonder how many will fall for that.  Guess we're seeing out Fusion successor here, and pretty much seems to be what we expected - a Ford Outback.  I still question how big of a market there is for this type of vehicle (Subaru buyers are a different breed).  But if they feel there's a market for them - and one where they can make more than a traditional sedan body style - then I hope it works!

• Haha 8

I think this is probably the CX758, which is essentially the Crossover companion of the compact pickup (P758).  Those are suppose to arrive sometime in 2022 to be assembled at Hermosillo.  The lengthened wheelbase would probably serve both vehicles well, but I didn't picture the CX758 as a low-slung Fusion replacement, but that would explain why the pickup has a crossover companion in the project code. 

I like the potential here, but obviously it depends on the final product.  The mule tells us nothing about the final product besides the wheelbase. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Assimilator said:

I think this is probably the CX758, which is essentially the Crossover companion of the compact pickup (P758).  Those are suppose to arrive sometime in 2022 to be assembled at Hermosillo.  The lengthened wheelbase would probably serve both vehicles well, but I didn't picture the CX758 as a low-slung Fusion replacement, but that would explain why the pickup had a crossover companion.  

It's also been widened by a few inches, though.  Wouldn't that push it out of compact size?

I'm not sure why they are basing a C2 Crossover mule on a C2 Focus either, they would have to do less butchering with the new Escape as its basis.  So it doesn't make much sense to me.  But the only remaining Crossover code mystery is the CX758...and here is a mystery new crossover mule.

I was also under the assumption that the CX758 was going to be an affordable small utility, the one Ford is promising for 2022.  So I'm still not clear on what the lineup is going to look like by 2022/23.  But Fusion remains in production through 2021 so this is right on time.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

That affordable 'utility' that you're talking about is, most here agree, probably a car. There will already be 12 CUVs, 3 BOF SUVs, and the Fusion "Outback".  That's more than enough, IMHO.

Anyway, no one has mentioned the Edge prototype behind it. Is that a mule for the new one, or is it getting another MCE?

Edited by AGR

Most people here agree it's a car?  I see no reference to such a product in the development codes, at least for North America.  

The other mystery is what happens to EcoSport, NA is not on the sheet for the next-gen replacement.  I wondered if this code was the replacement, but this C-Segment product doesn't look cheaper and I don't think a Fusion replacement would bridge that gap.  So there is still one more question in the lineup for me, what happens to EcoSport. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AGR said:

That affordable 'utility' that you're talking about is, most here agree, probably a car. There will already be 12 CUVs, 3 BOF SUVs, and the Fusion "Outback".  That's more than enough, IMHO.

Anyway, no one has mentioned the Edge prototype behind it. Is that a mule for the new one, or is it getting another MCE?

You know, I didn't even noticed the alterations to the Escape behind it until you pointed them out.

18 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Most people here agree it's a car?  I see no reference to such a product in the development codes, at least for North America.  

The other mystery is what happens to EcoSport, NA is not on the sheet for the next-gen replacement.  I wondered if this code was the replacement, but this C-Segment product doesn't look cheaper and I don't think a Fusion replacement would bridge that gap.  So there is still one more question in the lineup for me, what happens to EcoSport. 

This is the first I've seen anyone thing an "affordable" product is a car, unless they just mean a lifted "crossover car."

I personally think Puma would do fine here as an entry product.  The odd looking C-HR or whatever it's called sells.  Why wouldn't the attractive Puma?  EcoSport definitely needs a replacement.

Edited by rmc523

It's too bad we didn't get the Puma, but my guess is that they couldn't make it fit the global marketplace for whatever reason, it could have been cost or factory utilization.  I'm willing to bet they simply didn't even consider making it a global product because they need to get this right for one specific market.  Ford is going back to locally developed products to speed things up.,  

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I'm not sure why they are basing a C2 Crossover mule on a C2 Focus either, they would have to do less butchering with the new Escape as its basis.  So it doesn't make much sense to me.  But the only remaining Crossover code mystery is the CX758...and here is a mystery new crossover mule.

I was also under the assumption that the CX758 was going to be an affordable small utility, the one Ford is promising for 2022.  So I'm still not clear on what the lineup is going to look like by 2022/23.  But Fusion remains in production through 2021 so this is right on time.  

Perhaps they're not using Escape  because they want to save money by reworking as much of the existing cars as possible?

I wonder if the continuing popularity of the Fusion has forced a rethink on what type of vehicle is actually needed...

It wouldn't be the first time that Ford changed its mind and try to tell us that was the plan all along..

Edited by jpd80

This is definitely the Fusion Active test mule. Next gen Fusion was always planned to move to C2. 

I don’t know the product development code for this one. But I have seen the mock up early buck. It’s very attractive and is a mix of Fusion, Edge, Escape and Subaru Outback all mixed together. It’s rugged like an Outback but in a classy way. It blends a number of designs well.

Make no mistake this will be called Fusion or Fusion Active. I’m not sure how big the market is for this but maybe Subaru’s secret sauce isn’t so secret. Ford needs to market this the right way in order for it to succeed.

ive heard either Hermosillo or Oakville as production locations. Not finalized yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

This is definitely the Fusion Active test mule. Next gen Fusion was always planned to move to C2. 

I don’t know the product development code for this one. But I have seen the mock up early buck. It’s very attractive and is a mix of Fusion, Edge, Escape and Subaru Outback all mixed together. It’s rugged like an Outback but in a classy way. It blends a number of designs well.

Make no mistake this will be called Fusion or Fusion Active. I’m not sure how big the market is for this but maybe Subaru’s secret sauce isn’t so secret. Ford needs to market this the right way in order for it to succeed.

ive heard either Hermosillo or Oakville as production locations. Not finalized yet.

Both good options,

Fusion crossover for  Oakville  AP as a sweetener for UNIFOR contract, a replacement for Flex/MKT?

It's something that could easily fit along existing production line equipment while freeing up space

at Hermisillio for C2 Pick up and companion crossover.

If Fusion Crossover stays at Hermosillo, Ford might be able to  push harder with Edge production and sales,

that would also be good news for UNIFOR contract..

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, AGR said:

That is actually a last gen Escape Fascia mixed what looks like a C-Max or something- Its apparently hiding something smaller under it-the wheelbase isn't wide enough for the body on it. 

4 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I think this is probably the CX758, which is essentially the Crossover companion of the compact pickup (P758).  Those are suppose to arrive sometime in 2022 to be assembled at Hermosillo.  The lengthened wheelbase would probably serve both vehicles well, but I didn't picture the CX758 as a low-slung Fusion replacement, but that would explain why the pickup has a crossover companion in the project code. 

Looking at slotting of C and CD products, Ford will have the following:

Escape

Baby Bronco

Edge

Fusion Crossover

How is ANOTHER crossover based off the compact pickup supposed to be slotted in there? I'm assuming three rows, but that would slot it with the Edge roughly in size-which is also getting pressured by a BEV CUV that is roughly the same size. 

I'm pretty sure the Escape mule behind it is an outdated Mach E mule.  

And my information says that Fusion remains in production until 'at least' 2021.  The production timeline was extended, likely to overlap with these new products.

There is a suggestion that the CX430 (Bronco Mini) is actually going to Louisville alongside the Escape instead of Hermosillo.  This might be used in the UAW negotiation to restore a shift to that plant which was cut ahead of the 2020 Escape launch.  That might have changed the timeline on Fusion production.  

Edited by Assimilator

2 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I'm pretty sure the Escape mule behind it is an outdated Mach E mule.  

And my information says that Fusion remains in production until 'at least' 2021.  The production timeline was extended, likely to overlap with these new products. 

Ice-capades mentioned his zone manager told them that MY2020 is the last for Fusion in its current form. 

• Like 1

I’m all for new products but this is starting to seem like overkill.  Ford should focus on reliable launches of new products (problem free) rather than saturating the market with competing CUV’s within the brand.  Diversity works to a certain extent, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  

You also have to remember Ford lost quite a few vehicles, they are just replacing them with new products to restore some of their customer diversity. I think it's a little more complicated than just another Crossover, that space occupies a huge variety of products and customers now.  Ford has shift a huge portion of their volume to fewer and fewer products as they transition, but they have to get back to some variety.  

Edited by Assimilator