Fusion styled crossover?

15 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Not to mention, a longer wheelbase too....

ford-fusion-crossover-lifted-wagon-repla

What do you recon, is that about four or five inches of extra panel / wheelbase?

I get what Ford is trying to achieve here and if it can execute this project on a vehicle base

that costs somewhere between a Focus and Escape, then wow this could be  a big deal

and much better looking than a BMW X4.

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

What do you recon, is that about four or five inches of extra panel / wheelbase?

I get what Ford is trying to achieve here and if it can execute this project on a vehicle base

that costs somewhere between a Focus and Escape, then wow this could be  a big deal

I'm thinking something that will replace Flex / MKT.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

The more I look at this thing the more I realise it's concealing a much wider track

You can see that in the mule behind it also-Not 100% if they are the same product, but the mule in the back has a shell over something that is smaller-since the wheels sit in about 2 inches from the body

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I'm thinking something that will replace Flex / MKT.....

Interesting.....would there be enough room for the third row to make it a genuine Flex replacement?

Could also be a great replacement for Euro S-Max and Mondeo Hatch & S/W.....lots of choices.

Not to be rude to MKT owners but that does look like an improvement...

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

You can see that in the mule behind it also-Not 100% if they are the same product, but the mule in the back has a shell over something that is smaller-since the wheels sit in about 2 inches from the body

This is a real in-betwener,  it's not an Edge, It's not a Mondeo S/W or a LWB Focus S/W

I just hope that they get all the style elements right, this sportswagon has to look spot on.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

This is a real in-betwener,  it's not an Edge, It's not a Mondeo S/W or a LWB Focus S/W

I just hope that they get all the style elements right, this sportswagon has to look spot on.

I wonder if its going to be the low cost replacement for the Ecosport or something like that. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I wonder if its going to be the low cost replacement for the Ecosport or something like that. 

It’s much bigger than an EcoSport , probably ideal for buyers who 

Want something like a Fusion but not as tall as a full on Utility 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

So this our Taurus X replacement? Is it roughly the same size or smaller? It's hard to tell.

Considering the Taurus X was 200in Long (the 2020 Explorer is 195 or 198 I think), This is going to be at least 15 inches shorter-I'd say right around the length of an Edge (189) or slightly bigger then an Escape (181). 

I'd say its going to be roughly BMW X4 sized

Edited by silvrsvt

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

It’s much bigger than an EcoSport , probably ideal for buyers who 

Want something like a Fusion but not as tall as a full on Utility 

The Wagon model is that :)

I was talking about the mule that was a mash up of the Edge/Escape/C-Max behind it-the track on it looks to be smaller then this wagon-the body is way too big for the suspension/wheel setup they are using

Ford Fusion-size crossover prototype

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Aside from it not being a Focus Active, yes.

I meant that to be somewhat facetious.  Mostly because the Focus Active apparently failed in design with focus groups.

So here's to hoping this thing does better...

I'm hoping Ford comes out with a decent replacement for the Focus/Fiesta in the form of the Ecosport replacement.  I think Ford still needs something in the bargain basement market with a compact/subcompact size.  I hope it isn't only the above vehicle as I think that's a bit too large.  But I'm not likely to buy any of the above.  So it won't affect me personally.  I'll just leave it at that...

I think the Fusion Active wagon thing will be roughly the size of current Edge, especially if it will be sold in Europe.

Next gen Edge will probably be bigger to keep pace with competition that are all taller and longer now - e.g. Chevy Blazer, Hyundai Santa Fe, VW Atlas Sport, Honda Passport, and next gen Grand Cherokee which will no doubt increase in size. 

The 2nd car in the photo is really interesting. Like silvrsvt mentioned, it has narrower track than the Escape body it is running in. But noticed the center strip in the hood, incidcating the bodyshell is widened. So I *think*, that 2nd car is Fusion Active width running on standard C2 wide chassis... possibly a test mule to test subframe or something to do with the width. 

The Escape based mule in the back is the Mach E mule I think.

Baby Bronco will not be built in Louisville for they are intending to sell it in North and South America.

Quote from AutoNews:

"Ford said in the second quarter analyst call on Wednesday that a 'Baby Bronco' new small rugged SUV planned for 2020, would not be one of them. The car will be sold only in North and South America."

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ford-will-ax-ka-minicar-europe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Considering the Taurus X was 200in Long (the 2020 Explorer is 195 or 198 I think), This is going to be at least 15 inches shorter-I'd say right around the length of an Edge (189) or slightly bigger then an Escape (181). 

I'd say its going to be roughly BMW X4 sized

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks!

"Under the skin, the new Ford Mondeo replacement will be based on the Ford C2 platform, the same underpinnings used for the new Focus – the one that won’t be sold in North America. Notably, the C2 architecture is highly flexible and can support vehicles like the Focus, as well as bigger models. In fact, it’s similar in that regard to the Volkswagen MQB architecture matrix."

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/ford-mondeo-coming-back-crossover-global-market/

This is definately the next gen Mondeo/Fusion.

Whether or not it has a third-row, we will have to wait.

• Like 1

Id imagine this is much larger than eco sport or escape like some have mentioned. I’d guess it’s longer than the edge as well. The wheelbase seems to mimic that of the fusion and in the pic above you can see they added 2-3 inches in width to the body of that escape shell which would probably put it at around the width of the fusion as well. I’m guessing that this is basically a fusion wagon made to look less like a wagon.

5 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Whether or not it has a third-row, we will have to wait.

Considering that Fusion is a midsize sedan, its replacement can survive with just five seats.

But, talking about a more affordable 7-seater, does the digit "7" in project CX758 indicate a 3rd row? I think this crossover is a good candidate for the extra seats

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I don’t think there’s much chance it will be priced between Focus and Escape. Ford is all in on premium pricing. I’m betting it will be priced just less than Edge, but not by much. 

7 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think the Fusion Active wagon thing will be roughly the size of current Edge, especially if it will be sold in Europe.

Next gen Edge will probably be bigger to keep pace with competition that are all taller and longer now - e.g. Chevy Blazer, Hyundai Santa Fe, VW Atlas Sport, Honda Passport, and next gen Grand Cherokee which will no doubt increase in size. 

The 2nd car in the photo is really interesting. Like silvrsvt mentioned, it has narrower track than the Escape body it is running in. But noticed the center strip in the hood, incidcating the bodyshell is widened. So I *think*, that 2nd car is Fusion Active width running on standard C2 wide chassis... possibly a test mule to test subframe or something to do with the width. 

I would think a Fusion “replacement” would be on the same chassis as the NG Edge. The current Fusion is just 1 inch narrower than the Edge.