Fusion styled crossover?

5 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Regarding the Bronco, it's my understanding (based on their internal documents) that the Hybrid was planned for +1 year following the debut year, but those plans had been shelved to prevent further delays.   

This is a watershed moment,  a business plan was rejected and someone senior at Ford reversed it.

Sometimes, you just gotta push past all the fears and worries, and take a well calculated risk.....

Edited by jpd80

On 10/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, akirby said:

which is also C2 based.

6 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Regarding the Bronco, it's my understanding (based on their internal documents) that the Hybrid was planned for +1 year following the debut year, but those plans had been shelved to prevent further delays.  So I don't think Hybrid was ever planned for the launch year, but they could certainly announce it at the launch.  I haven't seen Hackett talk about it so I don't know what's happening, if anybody has a quote form Hackett on this I would appreciate it.  I don't see why the Bronco wouldn't get the Hybrid eventually, if not at launch, especially if the 2023 Ranger is scheduled to get it.

Either way, I would be surprised to see Hybrid available at launch, but more surprised if it doesn't happen at all.  

If a Bronco hybrid isn’t any more efficient than the Explorer hybrid, I don’t see much reason to offer it. 

The Bronco and Explorer would use the same integrated RWD 10-Speed ATX Hybrid system.  Bronco would however use the 2.7L EcoBoost, as would Ranger.  That's notably more potent than the 3.3L NA V6 in Explorer and quite different than the PHEV 3.0L in Aviator/Explorer.  It's really the next phase of this Hybrid system and really the stage I was hoping we would seen sooner since right now we get either middling efficiency (3.3L Explorer) or expensive Lincoln Plugin.  I don't know what the battery pack looks like on any of the BOF vehicles.  The 2021 P702 F-150 Hybrid will be the first (3.5L EcoBoost) and it adds power generation for job sites or recreation equipment.  Mustang gets a 5.0L V8 Hybrid so you can see there is quite a trajectory for this Hybrid system with extremely varied applications. I think it really deserves its own branding to increase awareness.  I think once all these products are out, people will take note.  Right now Ford seems uninterested in highlighting it.  

The unannounced Lincoln Corsair PHEV is the only Ford vehicle in NA using an eAWD system because the Battery pack and charger get in the way of a driveshaft.  It's a GKN motor and more powerful than a similar system used by Toyota.  

So Ford has a TON of electrification going on, not to mention the exceptional Mach E....but that's another topic.  But a few hints (Optional Dual Motors, GT version with more power than the other GT, Mustang branding, E-Latch doors with fixed b-pillar "hooks" as exterior handles, 15" Portrait Screen with a rotary knob shifter, narrow and wide LCD instrument panel, and it looks badass with a very low and aggressively rakish profile that doesn't look like the crossover people think).  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I think it really deserves its own branding to increase awareness.  I think once all these products are out, people will take note.  Right now Ford seems uninterested in highlighting it.  

I think that's only because at this moment the rollout is only just beginning. Going forward in the next 2-3 years the marketing will start to take shape. 

Sidenote, does Ford still have that trademark for EcoBeast? That could be a cool name for the 5.0 Mustang hybrid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sidenote, does Ford still have that trademark for EcoBeast? That could be a cool name for the 5.0 Mustang hybrid. 

That would be a cool name for the engine/electric motor combo (rather like the Predator name given to the GT500 engine, or Trinity before it). But "Eco" seems to be only for their turbo'd engines. But who knows.

I still think they could use the Mach 1 moniker now that they've dropped that for Mach E. It would help tie the two Machs together......one Mustang hybrid, one Mustang-inspired BEV.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

That would be a cool name for the engine/electric motor combo (rather like the Predator name given to the GT500 engine, or Trinity before it). But "Eco" seems to be only for their turbo'd engines. But who knows.

I still think they could use the Mach 1 moniker now that they've dropped that for Mach E. It would help tie the two Machs together......one Mustang hybrid, one Mustang-inspired BEV.

Thats a really good idea actually. Hopefully someone important sees this and takes note of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The Bronco and Explorer would use the same integrated RWD 10-Speed ATX Hybrid system.  Bronco would however use the 2.7L EcoBoost, as would Ranger.  That's notably more potent than the 3.3L NA V6 in Explorer and quite different than the PHEV 3.0L in Aviator/Explorer.  It's really the next phase of this Hybrid system and really the stage I was hoping we would seen sooner since right now we get either middling efficiency (3.3L Explorer) or expensive Lincoln Plugin.  I don't know what the battery pack looks like on any of the BOF vehicles.  

I'm wondering if the Explorer Hybrid might one of those products that doesn't do well in EPA tests, but actually is much better for someone who does around town driving or has a commute less then 20 mile to work-which could technically be done all battery. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm wondering if the Explorer Hybrid might one of those products that doesn't do well in EPA tests, but actually is much better for someone who does around town driving or has a commute less then 20 mile to work-which could technically be done all battery. 

It's a hybrid, not a PHEV.  You can't go more than a few hundred feet on battery power alone.

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Are you sure?

About it not being a plug in hybrid capable of going 20 miles on battery power?   1000%.

Whether the battery range is a few hundred feet or a bit more than that I'm not sure, that was a guess.  But it's not miles and miles.

Just now, akirby said:

About it not being a plug in hybrid capable of going 20 miles on battery power?   1000%.

Whether the battery range is a few hundred feet or a bit more than that I'm not sure, that was a guess.  But it's not miles and miles.

Hmmm.....

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Guess your right:

Ford says the Explorer Hybrid can travel about two miles at 30 mph on battery power alone.

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Guess your right:

Ford says the Explorer Hybrid can travel about two miles at 30 mph on battery power alone.

Further than I thought but it's a relatively tiny battery pack.   It's an assist feature, not a primary propulsion.

9 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The Bronco and Explorer would use the same integrated RWD 10-Speed ATX Hybrid system.  Bronco would however use the 2.7L EcoBoost, as would Ranger.  That's notably more potent than the 3.3L NA V6 in Explorer and quite different than the PHEV 3.0L in Aviator/Explorer.  It's really the next phase of this Hybrid system and really the stage I was hoping we would seen sooner since right now we get either middling efficiency (3.3L Explorer) or expensive Lincoln Plugin.  I don't know what the battery pack looks like on any of the BOF vehicles.  The 2021 P702 F-150 Hybrid will be the first (3.5L EcoBoost) and it adds power generation for job sites or recreation equipment.  Mustang gets a 5.0L V8 Hybrid so you can see there is quite a trajectory for this Hybrid system with extremely varied applications. I think it really deserves its own branding to increase awareness.  I think once all these products are out, people will take note.  Right now Ford seems uninterested in highlighting it.  

The unannounced Lincoln Corsair PHEV is the only Ford vehicle in NA using an eAWD system because the Battery pack and charger get in the way of a driveshaft.  It's a GKN motor and more powerful than a similar system used by Toyota.  

So Ford has a TON of electrification going on, not to mention the exceptional Mach E....but that's another topic.  But a few hints (Optional Dual Motors, GT version with more power than the other GT, Mustang branding, E-Latch doors with fixed b-pillar "hooks" as exterior handles, 15" Portrait Screen with a rotary knob shifter, narrow and wide LCD instrument panel, and it looks badass with a very low and aggressively rakish profile that doesn't look like the crossover people think).  

What are "Fixed b-pillar hooks"?  And how would they be exterior handles for both the front and back?

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think that's only because at this moment the rollout is only just beginning. Going forward in the next 2-3 years the marketing will start to take shape. 

Hmmmm.

I had the thought they could use the Lightning moniker as Ford's "electric EcoBoost"  name.

And then I got to thinking.........could the electric F-150 be called Lightning!?  It'd make total sense.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Fusion can do the same up to 45mph. I think at a little greater distance too. 

A 2017 Fusion Hybrid (regular hybrid, not Energi) rental car I drove a couple years back operated in EV mode for over half the miles covered. I remember being able to do 2 to 2.5 miles on electric propulsion alone before the IC engine kicked in. Anyway, average fuel economy for the trip which involved a lot of stop and go traffic in the Baltimore and Washington D.C. areas was 50.2 mpg according to the trip computer. Very impressive!

fusion hybrid.jpg

Edited by rperez817