Order vs Buy off lot

KansasHawk

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Reserve II but am having a hard time getting exactly what my wife is wanting due to low inventory. 

I talked to a few dealers today and they mentioned building online to get exactly what I want. Just curious if others who ordered were able to negotiate at all or just paid MSRP?

Thanks for the responses.

So it sounds like I can go to a dealership and order a factory aviator exactly how I want it and use x plan pricing(joined mustang club) since alot of dealers aren't giving discounts. 

The vehicle will come to that dealership and I would pick up once its arrived. 

Let me know if i'm missing anything. 

Thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, KansasHawk said:

Thanks for the responses.

So it sounds like I can go to a dealership and order a factory aviator exactly how I want it and use x plan pricing(joined mustang club) since alot of dealers aren't giving discounts. 

The vehicle will come to that dealership and I would pick up once its arrived. 

Let me know if i'm missing anything. 

Thanks for the help!

Make sure you ask if they except XPlan upfront, not all dealers will except it.  If you have a good report with the sales manager, they typically will to keep you as a customer.  Always remember you are in charge, it's your money and you have options.  

6 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Make sure you ask if they except accept XPlan upfront, not all dealers will except accept it.  If you have a good report rapport with the sales manager, they typically will to keep you as a customer.  Always remember you are in charge, it's your money and you have options.  

FTFY.   Sorry but it drives me crazy.

You are correct that the dealer doesn't have to accept X plan on any vehicle.  Also you're required to disclose that you want to use X plan up front with the dealer.   If your preferred dealer won't accept it, just call around and you'll probably find one willing to take it on an order.   The price is the same.

Edited by akirby
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help everyone. 

So I joined Mustang club a few weeks back but i'm not 100% sure i'm eligible for X plan pricing until 60 days of membership. Can anyone give me what the X plan saved them? I thought it was 4% but wanted to confirm. The MSRP is 76,460 so wanting see an estimate of what to expect. 

Another factor is I was going to trade in my Lexus but if I order through the dealer that would probably need handled somewhere else. Not sure if others have experienced trading in while factory ordering. 

Any input is appreciated!

There is no difference in trade-ins on a factory order.  You just have to factor in the time delay.  Most dealers will give you a trade in price that's good for 60 days.  If the order takes longer you'll have to renegotiate the trade-in price. 

The only difference in ordering is when you take delivery.  Once the vehicle arrives it's exactly the same process.

X plan is about $150 over dealer invoice.   Most dealers are now selling around the same price with the difference being X plan limits the doc fee to $100 or less whereas without X plan it can be $700 or more.   And it's just a nice no haggle transaction.

You can check the X plan price by logging in to fordpartner.com using your mustang club program number (MC405).   Even if you can't use your pin for 60 days you can still see X plan prices.  From there go to vehicles and then choose View Dealer Inventory or Build and Price.  Build and Price will then show you the X plan price and incentives.

@akirby thanks alot for the info! I went to fordpartner.com and was able to get my pin and build and see the X plan price. This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Now I need to call around and find the dealers that will accept X plan pricing and move forward. 

Thanks again for the help. 

3 hours ago, KansasHawk said:

Thanks for the help everyone. 

So I joined Mustang club a few weeks back but i'm not 100% sure i'm eligible for X plan pricing until 60 days of membership. Can anyone give me what the X plan saved them? I thought it was 4% but wanted to confirm. The MSRP is 76,460 so wanting see an estimate of what to expect. 

Another factor is I was going to trade in my Lexus but if I order through the dealer that would probably need handled somewhere else. Not sure if others have experienced trading in while factory ordering. 

Any input is appreciated!

FYI : last year (2018) I ordered a 2018 Navigator Black Label on X plan pricing and traded in 2 cars on it.  The dealers used car dept gave an appraisal at time of order to establish approximate difference price to me subject to reappraisal on delivery to determine actual difference I paid.

2 hours ago, KansasHawk said:

@akirby thanks alot for the info! I went to fordpartner.com and was able to get my pin and build and see the X plan price. This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Now I need to call around and find the dealers that will accept X plan pricing and move forward. 

Thanks again for the help.

Be aware the dealer will ask for your MCA membership info and may enforce the 60 day rule.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

FTFY.   Sorry but it drives me crazy.

You are correct that the dealer doesn't have to accept X plan on any vehicle.  Also you're required to disclose that you want to use X plan up front with the dealer.   If you're preferred dealer won't accept it, just call around and you'll probably find one willing to take it on an order.   The price is the same.

TY 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, akirby said:

Be aware the dealer will ask for your MCA membership info and may enforce the 60 day rule.

I called the dealer to schedule a test drive. When I decided the Aviator is what I wanted I asked for the best deal...which was not a deal, I then asked about x-plan, he said only if I order from the factory, inventory is too low and they want to make as much as they can on them, and I don't have a problem with that.

I ordered exactly what I wanted, I knew it was going to be at least 10 weeks, which is more than enough time to satisfy the 60 day membership requirement for the Mustang Club membership and more than enough time to receive the membership card. Really it was a no stress transaction at a fair price.

You mentioned a trade, my dealer said a conquest promotion was active for owners of other luxury brands switching to Lincoln, I wasn't so I didn't ask what the rebate was. There may be additional incentives available when you take delivery.

1 hour ago, corpcog said:

I called the dealer to schedule a test drive. When I decided the Aviator is what I wanted I asked for the best deal...which was not a deal, I then asked about x-plan, he said only if I order from the factory, inventory is too low and they want to make as much as they can on them, and I don't have a problem with that.

I ordered exactly what I wanted, I knew it was going to be at least 10 weeks, which is more than enough time to satisfy the 60 day membership requirement for the Mustang Club membership and more than enough time to receive the membership card. Really it was a no stress transaction at a fair price.

You mentioned a trade, my dealer said a conquest promotion was active for owners of other luxury brands switching to Lincoln, I wasn't so I didn't ask what the rebate was. There may be additional incentives available when you take delivery.

Hi corpcog. Make sure you read all the X-Plan rules and fully understand them (to protect yourself).

For example, when you place your order (actually before you even have to officially place the order), the Dealership personnel can and should give you a computer printed "VOC" (Vehicle Order Confirmation), which will list the X-Plan price.  Do not accept handwritten X-Plan pricing.

"Documentation Fees" are limited to $100 on X-Plan purchases. Then taxes, title/registration will be added to arrive at a final purchase price. The Dealer can not charge you any other fees, "Dealer prep charge" etc, other than any pre-negotiated Dealer installed options, ESP Plans etc, which you may wish to add. 

When your vehicle arrives and you are finalizing the sale, the Dealer must show you the actual Vehicle Invoice. Towards the bottom of that Invoice will be several boxes marked "Invoice Price", "X-Plan", "A/Z Plan" etc. The price in the X-Plan box will be your X-Plan price (Dealers often black out the other boxes). Again, do not accept handwritten X-Plan pricing.

While most Dealers are honest, not all Dealers follow the rules. You are the only protection you have, so you need to be aware of the rules. Some Dealers may try to charge more than the $100 "Documentation Fee" limit. Let's hope not.

In over 30 A/X/Z-Plan price transactions I have been a part of, four salespeople/sales managers/Dealerships have not tried to slip by a higher than allowed Documentation Fee. A few others have had to "correct" their initial A/X/Z pricing contract "mistakes", whether intentionally or by accident. ?

Others may try to slip in various made-up, nonsensical added fees. Some will even try to charge a higher than actual X-Pan price. Or slip in Dealer Added options (VIN glass etching, paint treatments, pinstripes, Scotch Guarding etc) as being required/mandatory. There is more in the rules, but that is the basics.

Hope your Salesperson and Dealership is honest, but be educated vigilant. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi everyone, just wanted to provide an update that I drove 150 miles away and got exactly what I was looking for. 

I was able to get X-Plan pricing and got good value for my trade in so I decided to pull the trigger instead of special order. This vehicle is actually for my wife and she is loving it. However, its going to take a few weeks to learn all the features, displays, etc. 

Thanks for all the input on the board and it was great getting my questions answered. 

1 hour ago, KansasHawk said:

Hi everyone, just wanted to provide an update that I drove 150 miles away and got exactly what I was looking for. 

I was able to get X-Plan pricing and got good value for my trade in so I decided to pull the trigger instead of special order. This vehicle is actually for my wife and she is loving it. However, its going to take a few weeks to learn all the features, displays, etc. 

Thanks for all the input on the board and it was great getting my questions answered. 

Hi Kansas. Were you able to get it with no front license plate bracket?

Hope so, since it was important to you. Good luck.

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rXIn46w5QIVEV8NCh1m2ww0EAQYBCABEgLU4_D_BwE

These pre-painted/paintable plugs are one option to hide the front bracket screw holes.  Click thru to Ford and add to cart, then scroll the drop down paint color list to see if yours is available pre-painted.

Edited by CoolScoop

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 8:03 PM, KansasHawk said:

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Reserve II but am having a hard time getting exactly what my wife is wanting due to low inventory. 

I talked to a few dealers today and they mentioned building online to get exactly what I want. Just curious if others who ordered were able to negotiate at all or just paid MSRP?

What did you end up doing? Do you happen to know if the factory order time is shorter for the Reserve II over the Black Label?

2 hours ago, prodigy07 said:

I think I'm a little lost on the X-Plan pricing. What are the pros and cons of this? Are most people who are purchasing rather than leasing using this?

X plan can be used with purchases or leases.  It’s about $150 over dealer invoice with doc fee capped at $100.  You can probably get close to the same price without x plan but it’s a good no haggle price if you can get a PiN.