FORD INTRODUCES NORTH AMERICA’S LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING NETWORK, HELPING CUSTOMERS CONFIDENTLY SWITCH TO AN ALL-ELECTRIC LIFESTYLE

The odd thing is that some of the recharging times they quote come with the caveat that its the 300 mile range vehicle. 

They are also using Electrify America which was part of VW punishment for Diesel issues-I guess that partnership is going to help out down the road. 

Edited by silvrsvt

When I bought my 2013 Energi Ford required an electric certified dealer to install a charger on the outside of the service building.  I was never able to use it because it was always blocked by cars waiting for service.  I am certain that was intentional.  They expanded the building and the charger disappeared.  Now the Fusion line is being terminated so Ford has nothing for me.  I have no interest in trucks and SUVs.

"On the road, Ford has worked hard to ensure a hassle-free charging experience. Ford is providing two years of complimentary access5 to North America's largest network – the FordPass Charging Network – for easy and convenient pay-as-you-drive charging. The FordPass Charging Network includes more than 12,000 charging stations with more than 35,000 plugs1, making public chargers as common as some of the most popular pharmacy or coffee chains."

Hmm... wonder where those chargers will be placed? Along major highways and in well-traveled locations in urban areas, I would hope. And it appears that you not only have to pay for the charge, logical enough, but after two years subscribe to the network. Looking forward to more details. Now, if only I could convince my home owners association to provide a possibility for home charging (currently not possible where I live) I might actually be able to consider a BEV or PHEV when my lease is up in a couple of years. I would be looking at the 2023MY midsized BEV crossover (the Lincoln version), not the "Mustang" Mach-E coming out next year.

I typically only take road trips with more than 300 miles in daily driving a couple of times a year, and if there are enough charging stations I could probably make it work. I wouldn't be so tempted to pile on the 9+ hours driving a day then, which is worth avoiding if you can. But of course here in the winter 300 might at times turn into something closer to 200. Physics and all...

21 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

"On the road, Ford has worked hard to ensure a hassle-free charging experience. Ford is providing two years of complimentary access5 to North America's largest network – the FordPass Charging Network – for easy and convenient pay-as-you-drive charging. The FordPass Charging Network includes more than 12,000 charging stations with more than 35,000 plugs1, making public chargers as common as some of the most popular pharmacy or coffee chains."

Hmm... wonder where those chargers will be placed? Along major highways and in well-traveled locations in urban areas, I would hope. And it appears that you not only have to pay for the charge, logical enough, but after two years subscribe to the network. Looking forward to more details. Now, if only I could convince my home owners association to provide a possibility for home charging (currently not possible where I live) I might actually be able to consider a BEV or PHEV when my lease is up in a couple of years. I would be looking at the 2023MY midsized BEV crossover (the Lincoln version), not the "Mustang" Mach-E coming out next year.

I typically only take road trips with more than 300 miles in daily driving a couple of times a year, and if there are enough charging stations I could probably make it work. I wouldn't be so tempted to pile on the 9+ hours driving a day then, which is worth avoiding if you can. But of course here in the winter 300 might at times turn into something closer to 200. Physics and all...

What are the HOA rules that prevent home charging?

20 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Now, if only I could convince my home owners association to provide a possibility for home charging (currently not possible where I live) I might actually be able to consider a BEV or PHEV when my lease is up in a couple of years.

Why in the hell would an HOA have any say about what you put in your garage?  You may need a permit, but an HOA should have no say about what you do INSIDE your house.

Unless you don't have a garage, but they still shouldn't be able to prevent you from putting an electrical outlet on your house.  Sheesh!

PS...I hate HOAs, but I live in the country so...

4 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Why in the hell would an HOA have any say about what you put in your garage?  You may need a permit, but an HOA should have no say about what you do INSIDE your house.

Unless you don't have a garage, but they still shouldn't be able to prevent you from putting an electrical outlet on your house.  Sheesh!

Guessing there is no garage and they don't want external chargers.

33 minutes ago, murphy62 said:

When I bought my 2013 Energi Ford required an electric certified dealer to install a charger on the outside of the service building.  I was never able to use it because it was always blocked by cars waiting for service.  I am certain that was intentional.  They expanded the building and the charger disappeared.  Now the Fusion line is being terminated so Ford has nothing for me.  I have no interest in trucks and SUVs.

GM dealership I worked at had it installed in the new car delivery area. Then they put four cubicles in there. Would be a PITA to charge there.

19 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

He could live in a condo building or something where there's no setup for electrics.

I have a buddy that was considering a Model 3, but his condo building/complex doesn't have any chargers/spots for chargers, so an electric is a no-go.  Newer construction is including charging spots, but old ones would have to be upgraded.

Edited by rmc523

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's an HOA so think of the dumbest and most inconvenient thing you can, then make it 10x dumber. 

Well aware of HOAs.  I've been living with them for 25 years.  But most are fairly benign and none I know of care what you do inside your garage, thus my assumption that it's outside the garage.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

What are the HOA rules that prevent home charging?

3 hours ago, akirby said:

You answered your own question, Akirby. I live in a townhouse development without garages. There currently is no capability for a homeowner to install a personal charging station in front of his or her home. I'm going to start pressing the Board of Directors on the need for the community to make the kind of investments necessary to make this feasible. It will need to be done in a way that doesn't make our parking lot look like a huge filling station. Or, just as likely, I'll end up moving in a couple of years.

49 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Thats unfortunate. I pity you. 

The only issues I've had are an occasional landscaping reminder and having to fill out forms before making changes.   That's it.  Never had anything denied.  We just built a pool at our new house and it was approved with no questions in 1 week.   It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be (with a few exceptions).

In return you get amenities like tennis courts (tennis is huge in Atlanta - every neighborhood has multiple teams), swimming pool (with swim teams for the kids), basketball, baseball, volleyball courts, walking trails, clubhouse that can be used for meetings and special events, etc. etc. etc.   And you don't have to worry about your neighbors killing your property value.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

You answered your own question, Akirby. I live in a townhouse development without garages. There currently is no capability for a homeowner to install a personal charging station in front of his or her home. I'm going to start pressing the Board of Directors on the need for the community to make the kind of investments necessary to make this feasible. It will need to be done in a way that doesn't make our parking lot look like a huge filling station. Or, just as likely, I'll end up moving in a couple of years.

They should make them a community standard with a particular vendor so they all look the same and meet the neighborhood architectural standards.   This will probably become a requirement that HOAs cannot disallow like satellite dishes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

They should make them a community standard with a particular vendor so they all look the same and meet the neighborhood architectural standards.   This will probably become a requirement that HOAs cannot disallow like satellite dishes.

Yep, that's what we'll need to do. And thanks for your (and others') thoughtful posts on this.

Edited by Gurgeh

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Time to sell that Tesla stock.

Slightly premature don’t you think?   Ford has zero EV’s on the road that are competitive in any segment.  The release of a single EV in 2020 will take years to gain any ground on what Tesla has already accomplished (vehicles sold plus charging network and cult-like following).  I work with several Tesla owners, so I get to witness the fanfare on a daily basis.  That kind of loyalty and belief is not going to change anytime soon (regardless if Ford releases a superior product, which is quite likely).  

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Slightly premature don’t you think?   Ford has zero EV’s on the road that are competitive in any segment.  The release of a single EV in 2020 will take years to gain any ground on what Tesla has already accomplished (vehicles sold plus charging network and cult-like following).  I work with several Tesla owners, so I get to witness the fanfare on a daily basis.  That kind of loyalty and belief is not going to change anytime soon (regardless if Ford releases a superior product, which is quite likely).  

it won’t sway the teslaphiles but it should appeal to everyone else.  More importantly it signals the entry of a mainstream mfr to compete with Tesla and (gasp) turn a profit.  All the cult fans in the world can’t keep you in business without profits.