Annoying reviewers!

I just gotta rant here! Why is it that there's so many reviewers out there that say stuff like "well it's a good car but you may want to look at so-and-so"? It is so biased. I'd say at least half there reviewers out there are biased dumbbells, who can't realize they are fanboys of another brand, and have to mother hen you about what car to buy. As a person wanting to spend tens of thousands of dollars perhaps on a new car, the reader is most likely a car person anyway, and is interested in the car being reviewed, not someone's bias to another brand and the reviewers attachment to it's styling or speed, whatever. I've read countless Nautilus reviews where the guy says the reader should look at "more desirable" other brands. Who says they're more desirable? Just because they're more desirable to the reviewer doesn't mean they're more desirable to a person liking the looks, styling and other possibly unique characteristics of the car reviewed. What happened to the good ol' days where you might just like a car's styling and not another "uh, desirable" car from someone else? Audi and BMW seem to be the worst offender of brands that I'm told might be "better" but it's like we're not allowed anymore to like a car based on our personal preference of what styling looks good, and personally the wife and I don't like the stylings of the mentioned 2. Nice to see American cars are looking very nice these days, at least to us. 

It would be great if the reviewers just stuck to good points of the cars and just point out anything bad like "the transmission is horribly jerky" or "very noisy ride" something like that. I could be wrong here but even in the Doug Demuro reviews, he seems to have pulled it back a little bit and gives praise where it's due and stays away from the negative more than he used to. I think it's a wise move.

• Like 1

They mostly despise domestic brands and turn up their noses at Lincolns as re-badged Fords, even though they share hardly any exterior or interior parts. Meanwhile look at the models with some of the worst reliability and depreciation, and you'll see the coveted German ones.

• Like 3

Totally agree. I've never even considered a Lincoln before, and the funny thing is the whole reason I even LOOKED at a Lincoln was for the stereo!!! Crazy as that sounds, I was sick and tired of listening to my wife complain about the Meridian stereo in her FPace. Being married to a sound engineer she's even more picky than me! So I researched what car stereo STOCK is great, and possibly even better when upgraded. And the first thing that popped up was the Lincoln Revel system! Okay... well let's look at that! So that led us to listening to the Ultima system in an Aviator and we were sold, at least on the reality that you can buy a really good car stereo stock. Next up was actually convincing my wife to test drive a BL Nautilus which was an act of Congress, but it worked and now we're waiting for our lovely car to be built. While we've always been Jag fans, the problems of Jags and LR's are steep. I was super interested in the new I-Pace, but you read the forum problems and there's just no way I'm going to consider that car. It seems like American cars for the most part are more reliable. My ELR is super reliable! I look forward to having all American cars again, Which will be a Lincoln, a Cad and a Dodge Promaster... :happyfeet:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKZMark said:

They mostly despise domestic brands and turn up their noses at Lincolns as re-badged Fords, even though they share hardly any exterior or interior parts. Meanwhile look at the models with some of the worst reliability and depreciation, and you'll see the coveted German ones.

And Volvo too. Rates poorly, sometimes very poorly, in initial quality and longer term reliability surveys. (Even worse than Audi.)

That is true.. if the badge was changed to say some company with a  T or H on it.. the best ever.. but if Ford, or Lincoln..no good.. I have a 16 MKZ hybrid.. heard the critics say warmed over ford..NOT… liked the looks better and a few options not even available on a ford.. but.. they drive a vehicle for maybe a day or 2.. and are expert on it.. sad..very sad..

but just like movie critics.. personal opinions...that is it..

• Like 4

Not uncommon to read, "gusied up Ford platform" or "pulled from the Fords parts bin to create the Aviator", etc.  Yet when they review a Toyota, it's "The excellent TGNA platform from Toyota" when reviewing a Lexus.  I've made similar comments on their website blogs, I had one reviewer actually apologize because enough people had "liked" my post he felt like responding. That's all really anyone can do, is help educate.

• Like 6

On 10/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, Gurgeh said:

And Volvo too. Rates poorly, sometimes very poorly, in initial quality and longer term reliability surveys. (Even worse than Audi.)

Hard to believe. Then I looked and was easy to find.... ?

Oct. 24 (UPI) -- Tesla, Cadillac and Volvo brand vehicles were at the bottom of a new reliability survey released Wednesday by Consumer Reports.

How about this?

Lincoln says that they’ve positioned the Aviator to go head to head with Audi’s Q7, the Cadillac XT6, and Volvo’s XC90 all of them on the bigger side of the mid-size luxury spectrum and all of them with three rows. And I can confidently say that the Aviator holds its own against them. In fact given its distinctive style, luxury-first demeanor, and a plethora of advanced technology, it does more than compete. It stands out.

https://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/first-drive-2020-lincoln-aviator/

21 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Hard to believe. Then I looked and was easy to find.... ?

Oct. 24 (UPI) -- Tesla, Cadillac and Volvo brand vehicles were at the bottom of a new reliability survey released Wednesday by Consumer Reports.

...or this, from JD Powers 2019 initial quality survey. Many surprising things here (surprising, at least, if all you do is read the automotive press). Among them, how well the big Korean brands are doing these days on initial quality, the fact that all European brands score below average, that Ford and Lincoln now rank 4th and 5th, respectively, that despite Volvo being the second most improved make from the 2018 survey still ranks near the bottom.

2019088a.jpg

The one thing I wonder that may slightly skew results is the people buying the cars. I'm 60 and for anyone my age wanting to buy a new car that costs over $50k or in the case of a BL Lincoln more near the $70k range I think our expectations are going to be higher. Anyone who shells out the $70k to buy a higher end Jag, LR, Mecerdes, etc is going to expect it to be God-like. But someone who buys a cheaper well equipped Asian car may never have had the luxury of owning a true high-end car. Those persons may be still on the car-honeymoon and easier to please - it's the nicest car they've ever owned, so they may be happier, and more than willing to report they like their car. Just a thought

I bring to the courtroom any of my employees I've had. They're all younger (35 to 40 yr old range) and the last thing they think about is a new car. I'm a car guy - I can spot any nice car a mile away, I don't know why but any car that's nice is like a beacon coming down the road at me and I notice them, and admire them. My employees though wouldn't notice or care if a train of Rolls Royces and a few exotics drove by them. Seen it plenty. I'll say "look at THAT (some super nice car) and I have to specifically tell them what I'm looking at. They haven't had the chance to relish some of the nicer things in life yet. One of those guys then got a job where he was looking at making some real money. He calls me up wanting to know my opinion of his (new) car choice he was thinking of getting and affording... now cars have opened a crevasse in his mind. Cars are now important and to be enjoyed. It was quite interesting to see that transformation. And if he got said car, I'm sure he'd be happier than a 13yr old girl with her first cell phone.  And he would report that it's awesome because he's never had that before to compare...

I'm sure Lexus deserves to be where they are, but some of the others... I dunno. ?

One reviewer said the seat cooler fan in the MKZ "roars". Roars? You can't hear it over ambient noise when it's on high. Others acknowledge that Lincoln prioritizes quiet luxury then ding it for not having full-on performance specs. You can't win with these kids. ?

On 10/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, rmc523 said:

Agreed.  Same with the '03 Expy my parents had vs. any of the newer products.

I think it's the switch from "cooled" seats (with a cooling unit in the seat) to "ventilated" seats (with a fan blowing that doesn't so much cool the seat and bring it in line with temperature of the car's interior ambient air). In my Nautilus it is no louder than the ventilated seats I had in my Audi, but it is indeed a sound you can hear. 

Edited by Gurgeh

26 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I think it's the switch from "cooled" seats (with a cooling unit in the seat) to "ventilated" seats (with a fan blowing that doesn't so much cool the seat and bring it in line with temperature of the car's interior ambient air). In my Nautilus it is no louder than the ventilated seats I had in my Audi, but it is indeed a sound you can hear. 

They still have the peltier devices - they must have those to heat the seats.   I think they just changed the wording so they get less complaints when the A/C doesn't work as well as it should.

• Like 1