Bronco with removable Rollcage?

Is a removable roll cage something that's really needed?   Maybe it's just me, but I can't see anyone going through the trouble of removing it.  I don't mean to poo poo it, but it's something that screams of "we need to be different for the sake of being different".

On a side note, that beltline looks high, but the Wranger is very similar.  If you look where the b-pillar is at shoulder height, they are similar.  The rollbars sit under the roof, so the look lower then where the top of the roof actually would be.

mopar-77072498-front-rear-tube%20doors-j

Edited by Anthony

19 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Is a removable roll cage something that's really needed?   Maybe it's just me, but I can't see anyone going through the trouble of removing it.  I don't mean to poo poo it, but it's something that screams of "we need to be different for the sake of being different".

I'm thinking some of these patents are just so other companies can't use the same ideas and a back channel way of keeping the Bronco hype up

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm thinking some of these patents are just so other companies can't use the same ideas and a back channel way of keeping the Bronco hype up

Most patents aren't used, just a way to prevent competition from using something. 

I've similarly said most of these recent 'Bronco' patents are just a way for the marketing team to keep Bronco in the public mind/conversation without actually telling/showing us anything meaningful.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Wonder if the Patent drawing is close to what we are getting?

Bronco-Removable-Rollcage.jpg

https://www.bronco6g.com/ford-broncos-roll-cage-will-be-removable-suggests-patent-filing/

It does look like mounting points for the mirrors on the A-pillars like has been reported.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Exactly - a lot of them aren't used.  I find it hard to believe that they'd be allowed to remove the rollbars..  There were more pictures:

BroncoRoofPatentfig4and6.jpg

BroncoRoofPatentfig7.jpg

These show additional seatbelt "pillars" to mount the 3-point seatbelts without the roof attached.  But I don't know how they're able to get around the rollover protection.   An article I read mentioned a German-esque auto deploying rollover system.  But if you're doing that, you wouldn't even need to put a removable rollover bar in the first place.

It also seems quite "sketchy" to allow customers to remove and bolt in their own seatbelt protection.

Edited by rmc523

13 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It does look like mounting points for the mirrors on the A-pillars like has been reported.

Those mirror mounts are quite....large and extend way in front of the windshield.  I certainly hope it doesn't look like that (or looks better in person).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Those mirror mounts are quite....large and extend way in front of the windshield.  I certainly hope it doesn't look like that (or looks better in person).

Definitely agree there - it looks like they may also be the hinge point for a fold down windshield.

I wonder if there's also a built-in snorkel component to it.

Patent drawings obviously are very technical and don't do a good job of showing a true form/look, though, so I'm sure it'll look better in real life.  The shapes on the outside of them are weird as well.

Also to note - the front and rear wheel wells are different shapes (front is angled, back is curved), so maybe we shouldn't read much into it.

Edited by rmc523

50 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Also to note - the front and rear wheel wells are different shapes (front is angled, back is curved), so maybe we shouldn't read much into it.

That's actually a 1st gen Bronco Styling cue...a popular mod is to cut it out though

bronco.thumb.PNG.21e32f2ebb58d0e221320bea666efcae.PNG

59 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

... - it looks like they may also be the hinge point for a fold down windshield.

I really hope not.  That is one of the silliest design gimmicks that Jeep continues to incorporate.  Far more trouble than its worth.  The only people I have ever seen lower the windshield are reviewers, doing it just to say "yes, its still there".

If Ford were to have a fixed windshield with a little more curve to it they could have a big advantage over the competition in NVH, fuel economy, and frequency of nuisance repairs.  All those things add up to more customer satisfaction and future sales advantage.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, ausrutherford said:

I think since the roll cage is only detectable by unbolting it, I think this is for aftermarket tuners.

There may be an aftermarket for replacing the roll cage to something else. This would make switching it out easier. 

That seems like a lot of work for something that won't be done much.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That seems like a lot of work for something that won't be done much.

Wrangler cage comes out too, it's just so inconvenient that no one bothers.

Making it easy enough that people could swap in something personalized seems like the right direction to go (on a similar scale as a small lift or bumper swap).  That's a big part of what this class of vehicle is about, personalization and customization -- so being modular and easily deconstructed is important.