Front License plate

KansasHawk

1 minute ago, KansasHawk said:

Kansas doesn't require a front license plate and all the Aviator's online already have this. Does anyone know if this is required for the Aviator? I'm not needing so wanted to check with others that own Aviators. 

Thanks, 

I would ask the dealer to make sure the front plate mount bracket is not installed...usually, it is a dealer installed item. 

31 minutes ago, KansasHawk said:

Kansas doesn't require a front license plate and all the Aviator's online already have this. Does anyone know if this is required for the Aviator? I'm not needing so wanted to check with others that own Aviators. 

Thanks, 

Hi KansasHawk. What twintornados said.

I would only add to have it written into your purchase contract. Gives the Dealership a little extra incentive to get it right when your Aviator is being prepped.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

EDIT - My State also requires a front plate (although I stipulated it not be installed on my 2018 MKZ). So I checked Aviator inventory in a neighboring state which does not require front plates, and some of the inventory photos show no front bracket on their in-stock models. So it is a Factory supplied but Dealer installed item.

Edited by bbf2530

24 minutes ago, KansasHawk said:

Thanks for the help and the one that i'm currently looking at has it already installed and the dealer said it will show holes in the bumper if off. 

Just didnt know if it came standard or was added. Appreciate the feedback. 

Hi Kansas. Yes, that is one problem with buying off the lot. And yes, holes are drilled in the bumper to install the bracket. If you really must have that one, you can buy push-pin type plugs and paint them to match the bumper. It will disguise/hide the holes to some extent.

What i consider to be a better solution, and this has been discussed in other threads...but have you thought about factory ordering your Aviator? For those who do not need the car immediately, I highly recommend it.

Taking the advice of my father, I have factory ordered every car of mine, since my first new car in 1976. You don't need to settle for almost-everything-you-want. You order and get exactly what you want, in the color you want. It has not been sitting on the lot or been test driven (possibly hard) by god knows who. It is ordered and built as you like it, is delivered to the Dealer, prepped and given to you(after you pay...of course...lol). Then you can be sure the front license plate bracket is not installed. And since the Aviator is in short supply at the moment, you may even be able to negotiate a better price on a factory order, since you will not seem desperate to get one immediately.

Anyway, just a thought if you are not an impulse buyer who must have it today.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 2

My only question at this point is if Kansas only requires one lic plate and the dealership is in Kansas, why would they automatically install the front bracket? Does the DMV issue two plates yet only require one to be affixed to the vehicle? I think you should reach out to the dealer to see if they automatically install the front bracket upon arrival to the dealership or do they wait until the vehicle is sold and ask the customer if they want the front bracket installed.

16 minutes ago, twintornados said:

My only question at this point is if Kansas only requires one lic plate and the dealership is in Kansas, why would they automatically install the front bracket?

Simple - dealer advertising. 

Stupid reason but I'm 99/9% sure that's it.  There is no other reason.

I agree - factory order and make sure they don't install it.

I live in Ohio, currently requires a front plate, but won't starting 07/2020. I ordered from the factory, specified on the order and it was indeed written on the order, when the window sticker finally showed up on line it had a front plate bracket on it and when it showed up at the dealer, it had a license plate bracket on it.  I asked the dealer, he said it came installed.... BS?, maybe, maybe not, if I was buying I'd make him repair it.

Dealers can add the front license plat bracket to orders but Ford automatically adds the front license plate bracket to all orders in states that require two plates. Some models (2020 Explorer) have the front plate brackets installed at the factory while others (Mustang, Fusion, Escape) are shipped with the front brackets for Dealer installation. 

FYI... CT is a two plate state but we NEVER install the front plate bracket unless the customers specifically request that we install it.