Ford Fusion ST

Hugh

As an owner of a very capable 2017 Fusion Sport I can't help but wonder if an ST version could be made before the Fusion moves on into the sunset. I would like to see Ford carry on with a mid-size sedan and have Ford Performance get it's hands on it for some handling, steering improvements. Perhaps the 3.0L Nano could be the upgrade although the 2.7 is excellent in of itself.

Any ST version would end up almost identical to the Sport.  That’s what happened with the Edge and the Explorer.  And the MKZ already has the 3.0L available.   It’s too bad they dropped the CD6 sedans - those would have offered lots of high performance options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh said:

As an owner of a very capable 2017 Fusion Sport I can't help but wonder if an ST version could be made before the Fusion moves on into the sunset. I would like to see Ford carry on with a mid-size sedan and have Ford Performance get it's hands on it for some handling, steering improvements. Perhaps the 3.0L Nano could be the upgrade although the 2.7 is excellent in of itself.

Hi Hugh. In addition to what akirby stated: I agree with you. However, considering the fact that Ford even eliminated the Fusion Sport from the 2020 Fusion model year lineup (and soon the entire Fusion sedan lineup as a whole), it is highly unlikely they would spend a dime on an ST version. Their only outlook is there would be no money to be made in it.

Personally: Every car I have purchased since 1976 (all of them purchased new) has been a Lincoln or Ford. However, if Lincoln does not continue with some sort of mid-size sedan (their plans still not publicly announced), I am not sure where I will be purchasing my next vehicle. My wife and I are just not a CUV/SUV/truck people.

Oh well, an ST would have been nice.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Helping my teenage son get his dream car - a Focus ST. We will be picking up a 2018 Focus ST(3) soon. Really disappointed that this car was discontinued in the US and there aren't any new models. Sporty hatchbacks are very popular amongst teenagers. This might be a big missed opportunity for Ford. Let's hope the Focus ST returns.

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Hugh. In addition to what akirby stated: I agree with you. However, considering the fact that Ford even eliminated the Fusion Sport from the 2020 Fusion model year lineup (and soon the entire Fusion sedan lineup as a whole), it is highly unlikely they would spend a dime on an ST version. Their only outlook is there would be no money to be made in it.

Personally: Every car I have purchased since 1976 (all of them purchased new) has been a Lincoln or Ford. However, if Lincoln does not continue with some sort of mid-size sedan (their plans still not publicly announced), I am not sure where I will be purchasing my next vehicle. My wife and I are just not a CUV/SUV/truck people.

Oh well, an ST would have been nice.  Good luck.

This about sums up my situation.  I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do when it's time to replace each of our cars.  We've been with Ford for years.  I was actually planning that our next ones would probably be Lincolns.  But Ford leaves us with no way to get there from here, because what I want is a high-end performance/luxury sedan.  And Ford doesn't make those any more.

I hope that changes by the time we go to replace our cars.