2020 ST First 500 miles.

(disclaimer.....I reeeeaaaallly love this car)  ST w/Tech & Street, Star White, ordered 7/6, delivered 10/15)  And I drove 'em all hard.

Coming off 3 Escapes ('13, '14, '17) which I thought, and still do think were in the class of the best I've driven, I wasn't expecting the Explorer to feel as nimble, yet sure-footed.  Sheeeeeit!

The Great:  This sucker goes.  It's not only the 400/415, but the key is the 10-speed.  I've only been to 120 mph so far, but from 0-to-120 the engine never left the power band.  I haven't had the chances to show it off from the line, but for those poor few, all they saw was my ass end.  We have some pretty wicked on/off ramps around here.  The Escapes were scary-fast around the tightening-radius corners.  They would lean a bit and start to push very controllable.  Through my favorite on-ramp a few times so far, I have yet to feel the "edge".  I push the throttle and the ST goes faster.......but stays flat, no tire squeal, no drift, no sphincter-tightening, and seems to say, "C'mon you wuss, give me some more!"  

This ST drives more effortlessly than any vehicle yet.  I bought a 24 ft. RV Travel Trailer which required something stronger to pull it with.  The ST will pull 5600 lbs.  I'm 70 and wanted another sport car.  (my '80 vette had a 9 lb turbo)  And I wanted insulation from the road - QUIET.  The ST gives me all three.  

For the last 6 months I've read & watched all the reviews, 1st drives, tech reports, recalls, and propaganda I could find.  I began drooling....  I used the forum to get my VIN, Sticker, Status. (boy am I glad I only have to deal with those egomaniacs once every 3 years!)  The new Ford order tracking site works pretty good and is fairly accurate.

2 Things needing fixin' - 1. The A/C works great - when it's on.  It seems that after it's been on heat (AUTO) it takes a big delta to change to A/C.  Nothing to see the dealer about until the software fix.  2. I love the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise.  My car will drive me through town by itself - I just have to keep a hand on the wheel.  But on the highway when I exceed the speed limit (they ARE just suggested speeds, right?), the damn Speed Limit icon starts flashing, and KEEPS FLASHING on and off until I get below the limit.  Either have it time-out, of let me turn it off.  (If there's a way, let me know please!)

Contrary to most reviews I've see.n - Those big RED brakes do NOT grab, but if you push the pedal, you WILL feel them - very secure!  In SPORT mode, it has only once down-shifted firmly when coming to a stop.  All else is smooth.

In urban neighborhoods I really miss the side lights that come on under 12 mph  when you turn the wheel.  

Going to Vermont tomorrow to pick up my trailer.  

PJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PajamaGuy said:

Ak,  

I've read it, twice.   I do run the offset +9 mph.  What bugs me is that at 74, the 65 mph speed limit sign flashes until I go under 65.  It's annoying. 

PJ

So it changes the set speed to 74 as expected but it still flashes?   That's definitely a bug.

Well now, I've gotten smarter.  If you set the differential to +5.  In a 50 mph zone, if you go 55, it's steady.  At 56 it will start to flash and not stop until you are under 56.  But, if you set the differential to say +9, it won't flash until you get to 60...etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm now just under 4,000 mi.  I LOVE THIS CAR!  Even if I had kids, I'd pick this one.  And my wife loves it too!  (We're both 70)

I'm hunting for a Durango....  Everything else has been "No Contest"....heh...heh.  

Everything does its job.  It's tight.. sporty tight, not chatter-your-teeth tight.    You can see out of it - the "A" pillar is not that wide.  

I can drive it for miles on 2-lanes and not touch gas or brake (except when I'm 1st in line at a Stop sign or light.) and if the tattletale didn't light up, it could be hands free.  (loose, but free)

PJ

1 hour ago, PajamaGuy said:

And my wife loves it too!  (We're both 70)

This is too funny.

I'm planning on getting the ST for my mother who is driving a lot for her business (15k miles/year). She is currently driving a 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid so she will def. get a nice performance upgrade (screw the MPG, LOL!). She wants an SUV now because she's tired of being boxed in by other big vehicles and wants the improved visibility. In addition, she loves the aggressive appearance of the ST (black paint, black interior, black wheels with the red calipers).

And guess what? She's 71....?

However, I'm making sure she gets the 'slower' vehicle - I ordered myself a BMW X7 M50i...?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, EcoBoost said:

This is too funny.

I'm planning on getting the ST for my mother who is driving a lot for her business (15k miles/year). She is currently driving a 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid so she will def. get a nice performance upgrade (screw the MPG, LOL!). She wants an SUV now because she's tired of being boxed in by other big vehicles and wants the improved visibility. In addition, she loves the aggressive appearance of the ST (black paint, black interior, black wheels with the red calipers).

And guess what? She's 71....?

However, I'm making sure she gets the 'slower' vehicle - I ordered myself a BMW X7 M50i...?

People are talking like 70 is old. I'm 70 and earlier this year I traded in my Raptor and bought an Edge ST. I'm looking ahead to the Explorer ST or Lincoln Aviator.