GM Pulling a GM? Hummer to possibly return as EV brand?

rmc523

On 1/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, probowler said:

It sucks that GMC was able to make that work, yet the Mark LT couldn't stick around.

At least the Sierra has different exterior styling vs. the Silverado, which the Mark LT never had, other than grille insert and the extra red on the tailgate.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:07 AM, mackinaw said:

It's a gamble for GM.  The image of the Hummer brand is that of a gas-guzzling dinosaur.  They can only hope that making it a EV will change opinions.  Not sure it will at first, but maybe eventually.  And GM has probably noticed all of the positive buzz being generated by the Bronco(s) and wants in.  

To become an EV, it's not likely to be anything like the past models. It will most likely be fairly small and light weight and stripped down. The haters will be viewing it the same way they are with the regular Mustang and the Mach E.

• 2 weeks later...

The extra marketing, customer education, and consumer awareness initiatives required to reshape the Hummer brand will NOT come back to them in the form of increased ATPs or raw sales compared to if this were launched as a Cadillac or even "just" a GMC.

They came up with a great product that is unique to the market of today... and then figured out a way to make it more difficult and expensive to market without an upside elsewhere. 

Typical GM. 

• Like 2

I actually thing using the Hummer name makes sense. It gets attention. It gets people (like us, for instance), talking about it. It used to mean outrageously ostentatious self-perceived status, size, power, cost, and environmental footprint. The new Hummer would still deliver on the first 4 out of those 5 (and even arguably the 5th, but it's electric so it's got to be green, right?), and honestly outside of those who follow the auto world closely I doubt many remember much of the controversy other than the ostentatiousness. 

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I actually thing using the Hummer name makes sense. It gets attention. It gets people (like us, for instance), talking about it. It used to mean outrageously ostentatious self-perceived status, size, power, cost, and environmental footprint. The new Hummer would still deliver on the first 4 out of those 5 (and even arguably the 5th, but it's electric so it's got to be green, right?), and honestly outside of those who follow the auto world closely I doubt many remember much of the controversy other than the ostentatiousness. 

That's how GM seems to do product planning - one vehicle at a time looking for something that gets a lot of PR rather than integrating something into the broader product lineup and using it across multiple products and brands.  It's like having a team of solo home run hitters instead of a diverse team where batters 1-3 get on base and the cleanup hitter brings them all home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomcat68 said:

I still don't get this. Why Hummer. Why not make it a GMC and elevate that brand? Give GMC something not shared with Chevy. And, if you want to revive a brand with electric vehicles, why not Saturn, Pontiac or Oldsmobile? Hummer carries such undesirable baggage. 

The logic is Hummer is known for SUVs, and SUVs are hot, so Hummer wins.

---

How ironic would it be if this Hummer EV backfires in the sense that Hummer's previous environmental issues cast a bigger microscope on the "new" Hummer/EV and suddenly everyone wakes up to how environmentally unfriendly it is to make the batteries themselves and single-handedly torpedoes EVs for the entire industry.

IIRC isn't this thing claimed by GM to be arriving in "late 2021"?  If that's correct, the F150 EV will have been introduced mid year 2020, and perhaps on the market at least a year earlier?

This is yet another example of GM engineering by press release - late 2021 (or perhaps early 2022) is essentially 2 years away. The F150 EV is imminent by comparison.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The logic is Hummer is known for SUVs, and SUVs are hot, so Hummer wins.

---

How ironic would it be if this Hummer EV backfires in the sense that Hummer's previous environmental issues cast a bigger microscope on the "new" Hummer/EV and suddenly everyone wakes up to how environmentally unfriendly it is to make the batteries themselves and single-handedly torpedoes EVs for the entire industry.

But my point is that GMC is a stronger brand, has none of the baggage and would be a better fit. This could also be a better way to make it more than a Chevrolet with a different look. Make it a GMC Typhoon or Cyclone or something. GMC is also known for SUVs. They are using Hummer for the controversy, but that in the long run will backfire. SUVs are hot except for Hummer which died as a joke. I think it is as logical as bringing back the Aztec and Rendezvous because they are SUVs too.

7 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I still don't get this. Why Hummer. Why not make it a GMC and elevate that brand? Give GMC something not shared with Chevy. And, if you want to revive a brand with electric vehicles, why not Saturn, Pontiac or Oldsmobile? Hummer carries such undesirable baggage. 

Read the article. It IS a GMC model, not a standalone brand.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, Harley Lover said:

IIRC isn't this thing claimed by GM to be arriving in "late 2021"?  If that's correct, the F150 EV will have been introduced mid year 2020, and perhaps on the market at least a year earlier?

This is yet another example of GM engineering by press release - late 2021 (or perhaps early 2022) is essentially 2 years away. The F150 EV is imminent by comparison.

I'd be slightly suprised to see an EV F-150 this year...Hybrid, yes, but I think we are another year or two out for a BEV F-150