GM Pulling a GM? Hummer to possibly return as EV brand?

rmc523

16 hours ago, T-dubz said:

https://jalopnik.com/hummer-is-coming-back-as-an-electric-off-road-pickup-by-1840935587

jalopnik says it won’t be its own brand but it will be a gmc truck called hummer. They also say it will be shown during the Super Bowl with lebron as the spokesman.

This is probably the best solution, but I would have been tempted to make it a GMC H1 or H2.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This is so GM 

Take a brand that is a laughingstock to people who care about the environment or would even think about buying an electric vehicle and turn it into an electric vehicle.

But then again, it could be brave in the way they are acknowledging a past sin and making up for it. In this way, its quite brave of them.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

yeah I'm not willing to give them that benefit of the doubt 

What exactly is the problem, unless you're a radical environmentalist or need a reason to hate GM? Tree huggers are the worst.  They complain when people drive cars, so they demand a train, and then they complain when you cut the trees down to build the speed train. it's always a lose lose with these people and they're never happy.

Edited by probowler

18 minutes ago, probowler said:

What exactly is the problem, unless you're a radical environmentalist or need a reason to hate GM? Tree huggers are the worst.  They complain when people drive cars, so they demand a train, and then they complain when you cut the trees down to build the speed train. it's always a lose lose with these people and they're never happy.

That actually has nothing to do it. I don't buy this notion that any corporation suddenly sees the sins of their past and wants to atone for it. No company that large thinks like that. 

It's a gamble for GM.  The image of the Hummer brand is that of a gas-guzzling dinosaur.  They can only hope that making it a EV will change opinions.  Not sure it will at first, but maybe eventually.  And GM has probably noticed all of the positive buzz being generated by the Bronco(s) and wants in.  

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm surprised they're starting with a truck, given that when you think of Hummer, you think of a big giant SUV.

From what I've heard, launching with a truck first - a model that wasn't commonly available under the brand's last iteration (H3T be damned) - is in part cover from any disgruntled former dealers who invested in Hummer franchises only to have them ripped away and shuttered in the bankruptcy. If the truck does well, they can later launch the SUV as a response to market acceptance. 

Of course, burying Hummer as a sub-brand under the GMC banner is insulation as well, but more than a few at the RenCen are concerned at how the alleged "separation" of New GM and Old GM would hold up if it ever made its way to a courtroom. 

Pre-BK GM aside...

This is *stupid*. They've already said that Cadillac's future IS electric vehicles. AND they prop up an entire BRAND of trucks and utilities based on better styling and "professional grade" marketing. By launching their first major electric truck/utility combo under a zombie brand that died with an overwhelmingly negative Q-rating, they're showing just how little they trust their current "luxury" brands to carry this flag. 

So, they're supporting a SUPER BOWL advertisement ($$$) with a mega famous athlete ($$$) (P.S. I love LeBron. Just a kid from Akron) in an attempt to completely reshape public option of a brand that was ill-conceived to begin with, all to hopefully sell a VERY SMALL number of electric trucks and utilities until they can finally get a VOLUME electric truck/utility strategy that makes sense. 

In my opinion, it's an early attempt to steal some thunder from the eF-150 and to get at least a couple electric shoppers into GMC showrooms, even though they don't have enough faith in that brand to carry this product alone. 

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

From what I've heard, launching with a truck first - a model that wasn't commonly available under the brand's last iteration (H3T be damned) - is in part cover from any disgruntled former dealers who invested in Hummer franchises only to have them ripped away and shuttered in the bankruptcy. If the truck does well, they can later launch the SUV as a response to market acceptance. 

Of course, burying Hummer as a sub-brand under the GMC banner is insulation as well, but more than a few at the RenCen are concerned at how the alleged "separation" of New GM and Old GM would hold up if it ever made its way to a courtroom. 

Pre-BK GM aside...

This is *stupid*. They've already said that Cadillac's future IS electric vehicles. AND they prop up an entire BRAND of trucks and utilities based on better styling and "professional grade" marketing. By launching their first major electric truck/utility combo under a zombie grand that died with an overwhelmingly negative Q-rating, they're showing just how little they trust their current "luxury" brands to carry this flag. 

So, they're supporting a SUPER BOWL advertisement ($$$) with a mega famous athlete ($$$) (P.S. I love LeBron. Just a kid from Akron) in an attempt to completely reshape public option of a brand that was ill-conceived to begin with, all to hopefully sell a VERY SMALL number of electric trucks and utilities until they can finally get a VOLUME electric truck/utility strategy that makes sense. 

In my opinion, it's an early attempt to steal some thunder from the eF-150 and to get at least a couple electric shoppers into GMC showrooms, even though they don't have enough faith in that brand to carry this product alone. 

My god, my feeling was right and it's absolutely hilarious 

6 minutes ago, bzcat said:

It's a good strategy and fits with what GM is already doing with Denali sub-brand.

GMC Denali = premium trucks

GMC Hummer = electric trucks

Well said bzcat sir. Denali has been successful not only as a sub-brand in its own right, but also as Forbes Magazine said, it "gives GMC credibility as the industry's purest and most advanced premium truck and SUV brand".

Adding Hummer branded BEV to its lineup will help GMC gain even more name recognition and prestige.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Well said bzcat sir. Denali has been successful not only as a sub-brand in its own right, but also as Forbes Magazine said, it "gives GMC credibility as the industry's purest and most advanced premium truck and SUV brand".

Adding Hummer branded BEV to its lineup will help GMC gain even more name recognition and prestige.

It sucks that GMC was able to make that work, yet the Mark LT couldn't stick around.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Well said bzcat sir. Denali has been successful not only as a sub-brand in its own right, but also as Forbes Magazine said, it "gives GMC credibility as the industry's purest and most advanced premium truck and SUV brand

It’s still just a nicer Silverado and has nothing over a top of the line F150.

I take that back - it does have something that F150 doesn’t have.  Twice the overhead.