2019 Engine Masters Competition

blksn8k2

In the Early Iron category a big-block FE based 400 CI Ford from Blair Patrick Performance earned top honors. It fell just short of 600 naturally aspirated horsepower. Unfortunately, the included video from Hot Rod Magazine is obviously biased toward the Chevy entries and didn't even mention the winning entry or any other Fords for that matter. Ironically Jon Kasse, who has won multiple times with Fords, entered a BB Chevy this year and didn't win. Awwww, too bad.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/600hp-near-miss-ford-390-hits-596-hp/?wc_mid=4035:17741&wc_rid=4035:1262812&_wcsid=6B512023FB3BC564508EC12CC8D720345147FFFDEAB3932E

Edited by blksn8k2
  • Like 1

I don't claim to know the entire history but I did read a comment that when the rules actually allowed the Modular V8's to compete they dominated. This competition isn't about who can make the most ultimate power. It's more about making horsepower and torque per displacement (cu in) and over a broad power band. In other words - efficiency.

After seeing the amount of power that old 390 based motor laid down I might have to rethink my plan to swap the original 390 in my '68 Cougar for a Coyote. I just did an oil change on it today using 10w40 Mobil 1 and 4 oz of ZDDPlus zinc additive and filled the tank with 93 octane Sunoco and about 8 oz of Rislone gas treatment. It's running better now than it ever has as long as I've owned it and it still carries 50 PSI of oil pressure at idle. A better intake manifold, a set of long tube headers and a better rear axle ratio might be all it really needs.

• Like 2