2021 Lincoln Nautilus - Significant refresh coming?

I'm super impressed with Lincoln's latest product offerings, from the Navigator to the Aviator to the new Corsair. I took a Corsair 2.3 AWD Reserve II for a test drive last week and came away really liking the vehicle. I only wish it was a little larger. When I mentioned this to the dealer salesman he mentioned that the 2021 model-year Nautilus (to be made available in Fall 2020) will be updated to look like all the other new Lincoln SUVs - which means a major refresh for the interior. :) That came as really good news, as the Nautilus is perfectly sized for the wife and I. I'm hoping Lincoln will include the same size (10.1 inch) Infotainment display in the Nautilus as they apply in the Aviator. I'm also hoping they include the same rear liftgate features as the Aviator, such as a 2nd button on the inside of the hatch that both closes the liftgate AND locks the vehicle. As well I'd like to see an aluminum liftgate scuff plate applied as well as a washer for the rear camera.

Lincoln Nautilus designer/engineers.. are you listening? ;)

If anyone here acquires any advance info on the 2021 Nautilus refresh please post it here!

Thanks, Richard

Edited by rbreeze

I can't wait to see what an interior refresh would look like. We decided not to wait and ordered our 2020 BL. If the dealer would have told me that, we might have waited. That being said, one of the things I like the most about the Nautilus right now are the headlights. So if they changed them to the upflaring ends I would like them less, but that's just me. However, if a new Nautilus looked like the BL Destination theme on the Aviator, I think we would bite the bullet and take a bath and get the 2021....

It seems odd that they would do another refresh when they just did one for 2019. My experience has always been 3 year cycles for refreshes and 5 to 6 year cycles for total redesigns for most cars but maybe LIncoln is different. I certainly think its smart when that center console gets the biggest amount of flak on the reviews as being "dated". Of course the reviewers say the screen is "dinky" at 8" and don't say anything about all the other cars with 8" screens.

Totally agree that the new Lincolns finally are turning heads more than ever. I really liked my test drive in the Nautilus and so did my wife. Right now I'm driving a loaner XT4 Cadillac and I'm not impressed overall. Nice perky little car and great tech but it feels hollow as compared to the SRX we had or the Lincolns. Way too many lines going on in the cabin, weird controls (pushing a button upwards for more whatever -ugh), brakes vague and not strong enough, weird feel when you go over small potholes... etc.  Absolutely would not buy that car. The only cool thing is that when you turn, the side lights up like my XK did (never saw that before) and when I got near a school zone I got an audio and screen notification - that's cool.?

Edited by Deafsoundguy

7 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I like the size of Nautilus (and MKX prior) and would have bought one but, as I have stated in the forums before, the center console was too freakin' big for my liking....hope they do the Corsair style center console for the refresh....keeping my fingers crossed.

That's funny - the center console is one of the things we liked better on the MKX vs. the Edge (the other was seat comfort).   It works fine for us after 3.5 years.

It would be great if they refreshed the interior since the all new Nautilus is 2022 or 2023 my.   We might end up getting another one since the wife thinks the Explorer/Aviator are too large.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

I can't wait to see what an interior refresh would look like. We decided not to wait and ordered our 2020 BL. If the dealer would have told me that, we might have waited. That being said, one of the things I like the most about the Nautilus right now are the headlights. So if they changed them to the upflaring ends I would like them less, but that's just me. However, if a new Nautilus looked like the BL Destination theme on the Aviator, I think we would bite the bullet and take a bath and get the 2021....

It seems odd that they would do another refresh when they just did one for 2019. My experience has always been 3 year cycles for refreshes and 5 top 6 year cycles for total redesigns for most cars but maybe LIncoln is different. I certainly think its smart when that center console gets the biggest amount of flak on the reviews as being "dated". Of course the reviewers say the screen is "dinky" at 8" and don't say anything about all the other cars with 8" screens.

Totally agree that the new Lincolns finally are turning heads more than ever. I really liked my test drive in the Nautilus and so did my wife. Right now I'm driving a loaner XT4 Cadillac and I'm not impressed overall. Nice perky little car and great tech but it feels hollow as compared to the SRX we had or the Lincolns. Way too many lines going on in the cabin, weird controls (pushing a button upwards for more whatever -ugh), brakes vague and not strong enough, weird feel when you go over small potholes... etc.  Absolutely would not buy that car. The only cool thing is that when you turn, the side lights up like my XK did (never saw that before) and when I got near a school zone I got an audio and screen notification - that's cool.?

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's funny - the center console is one of the things we liked better on the MKX vs. the Edge (the other was seat comfort).   It works fine for us after 3.5 years.

It would be great if they refreshed the interior since the all new Nautilus is 2022 or 2023 my.   We might end up getting another one since the wife thinks the Explorer/Aviator are too large.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have redone the interior for the refresh/name change, and then just come back a couple years later - a year or two before a complete redesign - and give it an all new interior?  Doesn't make sense.

The only way I see this making sense is......this person was actually talking about an all new model, and was a year off (or it arrives in 2021 as a 2022 MY).

^ Deafsoundguy, while it may seem odd that they would do another refresh on the Nautilus, you have to keep in mind the 2019 refresh was essentially only a mild exterior refresh of the MKX - they didn't touch the interior. With the introduction of the latest Navigator and new Aviator and Corsair with their class-leading interior designs, it suddenly makes the interior of the Nautilus (MKX) look dated and not at all in keeping with Lincoln's new design language. As a result sales of the Nautilus will no doubt suffer until an interior refresh comes along. I'm guessing Lincoln is pretty anxious to update the Nautilus to achieve interior uniformity across their entire SUV product line and provide a VERY compelling competitor vehicle to the likes of the Cadillac XT5 and Lexus RX (the segment's current sales leaders).

IMO.. with an (overdue) interior refresh of the Nautilus, Lincoln won't need to introduce an all-new Nautilus for a few years.

Edited by rbreeze

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have redone the interior for the refresh/name change, and then just come back a couple years later - a year or two before a complete redesign - and give it an all new interior?  Doesn't make sense.

The only way I see this making sense is......this person was actually talking about an all new model, and was a year off (or it arrives in 2021 as a 2022 MY).

2016 (MY) - debut

2019 - new grille

2021 - new interior?

2023 - new platform?

This could make sense for 2 reasons - to bring it into line with Navi, Aviator and Corsair design wise and it's just a tweak of what they did for Aviator and Corsair already (minimal cost).

Having just launched Aviator and Corsair and the new one not being ready for a few more years - what else do they have to work on?  :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rbreeze said:

^ Deafsoundguy, while it may seem odd that they would do another refresh on the Nautilus, you have to keep in mind the 2019 refresh was essentially only a mild exterior refresh of the MKX - they didn't touch the interior. With the introduction of the latest Navigator and new Aviator and Corsair with their class-leading interior designs, it suddenly makes the interior of the Nautilus (MKX) look dated and not at all in keeping with Lincoln's new design language. As a result sales of the Nautilus will no doubt suffer until an interior refresh comes along. I'm guessing Lincoln is pretty anxious to update the Nautilus to achieve interior uniformity across their entire SUV product line and provide a VERY compelling competitor vehicle to the likes of the Cadillac XT5 and Lexus RX (the segment's current sales leaders).

IMO.. with an (overdue) interior refresh of the Nautilus, Lincoln won't need to introduce an all-new Nautilus for a few years.

Agreed. I hope that's exactly what happens! And it would be smart. I look to the crystal ball... :future:

1 hour ago, akirby said:

2016 (MY) - debut

2019 - new grille

2021 - new interior?

2023 - new platform?

This could make sense for 2 reasons - to bring it into line with Navi, Aviator and Corsair design wise and it's just a tweak of what they did for Aviator and Corsair already (minimal cost).

Having just launched Aviator and Corsair and the new one not being ready for a few more years - what else do they have to work on?  :)

Again, I ask the question - they already knew their interior look going forward with Navi setting the standard - why wouldn't they have redone the interior with the Nautilus debut?  And worked to further avoid that "just a refreshed MKX" tag.

I'd go as far to say I'd expect a new front clip before we see a new interior on Nautilus.

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Again, I ask the question - they already knew their interior look going forward with Navi setting the standard - why wouldn't they have redone the interior with the Nautilus debut?  And worked to further avoid that "just a refreshed MKX" tag.

I'd go as far to say I'd expect a new front clip before we see a new interior on Nautilus.

Because they were busy with Aviator and Corsair which were in development at the same time?  I'm sure it's the same team.

Why would they change the front clip?  It matches all the rest.  The interior doesn't.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because they were busy with Aviator and Corsair which were in development at the same time?  I'm sure it's the same team.

Why would they change the front clip?  It matches all the rest.  The interior doesn't.

^ That's absolutely right... and as well.. didn't Lincoln bring forward the introduction of the Corsair by one year? That action in itself probably delayed development work of the Nautilus' new/refreshed interior.

IMO the 2019 front clip looks fine - it matches all the other Lincoln SUVs.   

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because a front bumper is easier/cheaper to change than a complete interior/dash redo.  A la Fusion's random 2019 "refresh"

Hey, I'm all for it getting a new interior - it needs it (along with the 3.0 haha).  I'm just finding it unlikely they'd go through that effort/expense a year before a full redesign.

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

I like the size of Nautilus (and MKX prior) and would have bought one but, as I have stated in the forums before, the center console was too freakin' big for my liking....hope they do the Corsair style center console for the refresh....keeping my fingers crossed.

That's exactly why my wife went for the Edge over the MKX (which it was when she bought her Edge).  The center console is really love it or hate it and she HATED it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That's exactly why my wife went for the Edge over the MKX (which it was when she bought her Edge).  The center console is really love it or hate it and she HATED it.

Yep I can see that.  After 3.5 years it just seems normal.  I'm sure an Edge would feel like the console was too low!

I really liked the size of the Nautilus but the Aviator was just so much nicer(RWD definitely helps with proportions). I’ve mentioned it before on here but Lincoln’s new BEV seems to coincide with when the next generation Nautilus would hit the market. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them use the Nautilus nameplate for that vehicle. 

I'll look into this, but I'm pretty sure the dealer is mistaken, dealers have a habit of spreading bad info.  The Nautilus is all-new for Model Year 2023, there are no further investments coming for this generation.

I just bought a 2019 Nautilus Black Label and the only thing I regret about the car is that it didn't get the new Lincoln interior, but unfortunately interiors no longer receive mid-cycle overhauls at Ford or Lincoln.  I am a big fan of the instrument panel upgrades and the new steering wheel and drivetrain improvements, not to mention Lane Centering.  I'm really happy at this size so I'll be ready for either the new Nautilus or the Lincoln Midsize BEV.  I was planning to get the Aviator, but the perfect Black Label Nautilus presented itself so I claimed it before it hit the ground (they sell out quickly here). 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, rbreeze said:

^ Assimilator, you might be right... but it's hard to believe Lincoln will leave the Nautilus completely "as is" for three additional model-years. 

Exactly...Lincoln refreshed the front end styling on MKC for a "one year only" presentation. An interior refresh should be easy-peasey.

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

Exactly...Lincoln refreshed the front end styling on MKC for a "one year only" presentation. An interior refresh should be easy-peasey.

If they were to do it Hard points would have to remain the same, but could probably do some center stack updates and not have it cost that much if the switches were pulled from the Lincoln parts bin. With the hard points remaining the same it might have an awkward look. 

26 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

If they were to do it Hard points would have to remain the same, but could probably do some center stack updates and not have it cost that much if the switches were pulled from the Lincoln parts bin. With the hard points remaining the same it might have an awkward look. 

Now that you mention it - looking at the difference in design with the center stack - that could be an issue.

28 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

^ As akirby mentioned in his earlier post... what else do the Lincoln developers/engineers have to work on just now? ?

As well.. it is my understanding that Lincoln would really like to add Head-Up Display (HUD) to the options list for the Nautilus. (HUD is available on the Aviator, Corsair, XT5 and XT4, to name just a few). Adding HUD involves a major modification to the dash -- may as well proceed with an entirely updated dash and center stack/console while they're at it.

Edited by rbreeze

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

That was literally only a grille insert - the cheapest update that can be done.  The headlights, lower grille, etc. were completely unchanged.  An interior refresh - especially one that brings it in line with the other models - would require a complete rework of the entire dash structure, and a FAR greater project/expense than changing a grille insert - that's why I said earlier, you'd be more likely to see a slight front clip change than an interior redo.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Now that you mention it - looking at the difference in design with the center stack - that could be an issue.

That's what I've been trying to say - it'd require a major rework, which means expense, which means ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's what I've been trying to say - it'd require a major rework, which means expense, which means ain't gonna happen.

Guess it really depends on how long it will be until the new model and what else they have to work on in the meantime and how badly they want to make it look like the other 3.