2021 Lincoln Nautilus - Significant refresh coming?

The Corsair looks much bigger than it is, but it's a much smaller vehicle than the Nautilus (at least to me), although the Aviator feels like a living room compared to the Nautilus with I already find a little smaller than ideal for my tall self.  I got to check out a Corsair and the design is nice, but I would still grade the interior quality higher on the Nautilus despite the older design language.  The Corsair is a little busy with an abundance of glossy black surfaces and a prominent horizontal vent design which is something of a design pet-peeve I regret Lincoln is doing only on this car.  The car does look much better at night with the lighting effects.  But I feel much more relaxed in the Nautilus with the smoother surfacing.  All the complains about the black plastic center console don't really mention how nice the surfaces feel and shape to the design.  The switchgear in the Corsair however is indeed nicer, especially the transmission selector.  The Aviator and Navigator do a much better job overall with that design language with the higher-grade materials.

I will say I don't really like the Lincoln exclusive stalks, they look nicer perhaps, but the previous Ford design was more functional, especially with the rear-wiper switch.  The new design has a sliding switch instead of a rocker which I find clumsy to operate without moving the stalk unintentionally.  Weirdly they don't feel higher quality at all. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

What looks out of place about chrome knobs?

Oh it's just me, personal preference thing maybe but a lot of reviewers say the same. For me, bright chrome against gloss black reminds me of a little cheap boombox I have and those knobs look garish to me. Feel is definitely another thing and I don't remember what they "felt" like. I'd get over it I'm sure. I like the darker stereo speaker covers in the Corsair too. I don't mind though, any other chrome in the interior. Funny that everybody is wired so different in what catches the eye and what insults the eye.:flirt:

I'd love to see them at least satin chrome or more preferably machined and/or knurled knobs which look way classier. Better yet, machined and powder coated (or anodized) black, against a matte black stereo face or wood.

Satin knob 2.jpeg

Satin knob.jpeg

Black volume knob.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I'm retiring next year and am considering a Nautilus, my first ever Lincoln.  I'm currently driving a 2019 Escape SEL.  It is a nice vehicle but smallish on the inside for me and lacking in cargo capacity.  I stopped by my local Lincoln dealer last week and looked at the Corsair.  I have to say I love the interior design.  It is a huge upgrade for Lincoln and is quite attractive.  The chrome on the center stack didn't bother me.  But I found the vehicle sits too low and is still lacking in cargo capacity.  I like the exterior styling of the Nautilus.  The interior is luxurious but the center stack looks aged compared to the Corsair and the Aviator.  I usually purchase my vehicles but I'm actually considering a lease so I can jump into the redesigned Nautilus when it comes out.  Does anyone know the timeframe on that?  The dealer told me it would be next fall but Automotive News reports it won't be until 2022 (2023 model year?).

image.png.ffa62d2310673a64f27430d038889821.png

image.png

Edited by RedHoncho01

3 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I'm retiring next year and am considering a Nautilus, my first ever Lincoln.  I'm currently driving a 2019 Escape SEL.  It is a nice vehicle but smallish on the inside for me and lacking in cargo capacity.  I stopped by my local Lincoln dealer last week and looked at the Corsair.  I have to say I love the interior design.  It is a huge upgrade for Lincoln and is quite attractive.  The chrome on the center stack didn't bother me.  But I found the vehicle sits too low and is still lacking in cargo capacity.  I like the exterior styling of the Nautilus.  The interior is luxurious but the center stack looks aged compared to the Corsair and the Aviator.  I usually purchase my vehicles but I'm actually considering a lease so I can jump into the redesigned Nautilus when it comes out.  Does anyone know the timefram on that?  The dealer told me it would be next fall but Automotive News reports it won't be until 2022 (2023 model year?).

image.png.ffa62d2310673a64f27430d038889821.png

image.png

RedHoncho, we don't know exactly. It will either be a 2022 model year out in 2021 or a 2023 model year out in 2022. Its design and engineering is well underway. Based on what I have read and heard, coming out around the same time should be an all-electric mid-sized Lincoln crossover (possibly about the same size as the Nautilus). Design and engineering of this vehicle is also well underway. Both will have Ford cousins, like the Corsair has with the Escape and the Nautilus with the Edge. Both of these mid-sized crossovers would be in addition to the larger all-electric (and Lincoln exclusive) SUV that has recently gotten considerable press attention. That will probably be out a year or so earlier, possibly as early as sometime next year. Your quandary is why I leased my Nautilus last year, first time I've leased. I'm thinking of swapping into either the new redesigned Nautilus when it comes out or maybe the mid-sized electric. If you go with the current Nautilus, let me recommend the 2.7 twin turbo V6 with AWD. That combination really add to the drivability of this larger crossover (than what you are used to). The bigger engine for the power and the AWD to improve handling and avoid torque steer (as a result of the bigger engine).

Good luck!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I'm retiring next year and am considering a Nautilus, my first ever Lincoln.  I'm currently driving a 2019 Escape SEL.  It is a nice vehicle but smallish on the inside for me and lacking in cargo capacity.  I stopped by my local Lincoln dealer last week and looked at the Corsair.  I have to say I love the interior design.  It is a huge upgrade for Lincoln and is quite attractive.  The chrome on the center stack didn't bother me.  But I found the vehicle sits too low and is still lacking in cargo capacity.  I like the exterior styling of the Nautilus.  The interior is luxurious but the center stack looks aged compared to the Corsair and the Aviator. 

We were worried that we might feel like the interior of the Nautilus is "dated" as compared to the awesome looks of the Aviator and Corsair. But we really just had to have that perfect Mama bear size and that's the Nautilus. After owning the Nautilus for a few months now, I like the interior design more than ever. It's just different that's all. Nautilus is curvilinear and the others aren't. The quality of the BL models really puts it in it's own place. For us, once we saw the BL we couldn't get anything else. You didn't say if you were considering a BL or which other model. Agree as most here, the Corsair has a really nice interior but just a hair too low....

The cool thing about the Nautilus is hitting the sport mode button when you're accelerating ?. It's dramatic unlike every other "sport mode" I've had. Don't know if the other Lincolns are like that. And yes, the 2.7 is the one to get unless you just don't care.

• Like 1

Deafsoundguy I am considering the Reserve with AWD and 2.7L engine and the 202A package.  I can't justify another $3000 - $4000 for upgraded leather, 4 oil changes and a premium exterior color for the BL.  I like the Pristine White but don't like the $695 it costs.  However, when I was doing research on a used Nautilus I noticed that any with the White Platinum or Pristine White were being priced about $2000 more than similarly equipped Nautilus with a different body color.

I am also trying to decide on an interior color.  I dislike the Cappucino and that's out altogether.  The Slate looks interesting but I'm leaning toward Ebony/Terracotta.  I worry about the lighter colors showing soil more than the dark colors.  

I would be interested in hearing if anyone who chose the Ultra-comfort seats think they are worth the extra $1500.

1 hour ago, Deafsoundguy said:

We were worried that we might feel like the interior of the Nautilus is "dated" as compared to the awesome looks of the Aviator and Corsair. But we really just had to have that perfect Mama bear size and that's the Nautilus. After owning the Nautilus for a few months now, I like the interior design more than ever. It's just different that's all. Nautilus is curvilinear and the others aren't. The quality of the BL models really puts it in it's own place. For us, once we saw the BL we couldn't get anything else. You didn't say if you were considering a BL or which other model. Agree as most here, the Corsair has a really nice interior but just a hair too low....

The cool thing about the Nautilus is hitting the sport mode button when you're accelerating ?. It's dramatic unlike every other "sport mode" I've had. Don't know if the other Lincolns are like that. And yes, the 2.7 is the one to get unless you just don't care.

Edited by RedHoncho01

It was the Nautilus dash that sold me over the Aviator.  Nothing against the new Lincoln dash, but for me it is very busy.   The simple waterfall of the Nautilus center console provided that relaxing atmosphere i was looking for.  I like the drivers screen settings also, mine only shows the digital speedometer.  Just a note, I'm not a fan of the gloss black, too easily scratched.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Deafsoundguy I am considering the Reserve with AWD and 2.7L engine and the 202A package.  I can't justify another $3000 - $4000 for upgraded leather, 4 oil changes and a premium exterior color for the BL.  I like the Pristine White but don't like the $695 it costs.  However, when I was doing research on a used Nautilus I noticed that any with the White Platinum or Pristine White were being priced about $2000 more than similarly equipped Nautilus with a different body color.

I am also trying to decide on an interior color.  I dislike the Cappucino and that's out altogether.  The Slate looks interesting but I'm leaning toward Ebony/Terracotta.  I worry about the lighter colors showing soil more than the dark colors.  

I would be interested in hearing if anyone who chose the Ultra-comfort seats think they are worth the extra $1500.

I like the Coffee seats and carpeting currently offered.  The MKX, 2017 and 18 at least i beieve called it Hazelnut but the door panels were also Hazelnut.   Today the Coffee selection provides Cappuccino door panels, that combination i don't care for.

22 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

We were at the top of our limit to spend but I was able to find the extra bucks at the last second to order the massaging seats. would I do it again? Probably not. It's not like you have some shiatsu message going on. I'm the kind of guy who needs deep tissue massage to feel anything so the more gentle feeling of just air bags inflating and deflating isn't going to do it. It's funny to turn them on, on an unsuspecting passenger and tickle their fancy and see the look on their face. Anyways, I believe that the same mechanism to give you seat position lumbar and such is also doing double duty by the massage function. Therefore the second you turn them on, then those bags you want pumped up then deflate and become part of the massage cycle. I don't know why they can't just build in something that vibrates hard and goes through cycles of vibration types instead of airbags. It would be a lot cheaper I would imagine.

Totally understand anyone not wanting to spend the extra for the BL version. The second my wife felt the seat leather difference that did it for her. I really liked the two tone steering wheel look of the Chalet theme so we did everything we had to do to make up the difference. At the price of a fully loaded BL it's still like $10k less than the equivalent packaged Eurodouche cars. And personally I like the styling better anyway of the American interiors.  Those Reserve wheels look pretty nice too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

At the price of a fully loaded BL it's still like $10k less than the equivalent packaged Eurodouche cars. And personally I like the styling better anyway of the American interiors.  Those Reserve wheels look pretty nice too.

LOL! Nice one.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It won't be, but I'd hope the next gen Nautilus is geared toward RWD, like the Aviator, especially with FWD torque steer issues.

At work we have a RAV4 AWD and when passing quickly, the torque steer is troublesome, the car actually will pull one side then the other for a second or two.

57 minutes ago, jniffen said:

It won't be, but I'd hope the next gen Nautilus is geared toward RWD, like the Aviator, especially with FWD torque steer issues.

At work we have a RAV4 AWD and when passing quickly, the torque steer is troublesome, the car actually will pull one side then the other for a second or two.

That doesn't seem to be the plan.  I think next gen Nautilus and Edge will be larger versions of Escape and Corsair while the new BEVs will be the performance models.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

That doesn't seem to be the plan.  I think next gen Nautilus and Edge will be larger versions of Escape and Corsair while the new BEVs will be the performance models.

You know, I somehow never looked at it this way until now.

I was thinking it'd be better to have Nautilus (and to a lesser extent, Edge) go RWD for performance reasons, but I can see that approach working.  The Edge/Nautilus stay more "comfort" oriented, a la Lexus RX, while the BEV models jump into that performance oriented market.

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

You know, I somehow never looked at it this way until now.

I was thinking it'd be better to have Nautilus (and to a lesser extent, Edge) go RWD for performance reasons, but I can see that approach working.  The Edge/Nautilus stay more "comfort" oriented, a la Lexus RX, while the BEV models jump into that performance oriented market.

I would still have preferred to see Edge/Nautilus go CD6 RWD (or at least Nautilus).   I guess it depends on what they do with the BEVs.

Although a PHEV Nautilus with the 2.7L and electric motors on the rear might be quite a performer!

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I would still have preferred to see Edge/Nautilus go CD6 RWD (or at least Nautilus).   I guess it depends on what they do with the BEVs.

Although a PHEV Nautilus with the 2.7L and electric motors on the rear might be quite a performer!

I'm sure they'll perform well and look good if Corsair is any indication.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bit the bullet and bought a very gently used 2019 Nautilus Reserve.  It has every option available except the rear seat entertainment system.  I bought it from a dealership in Wooster, Ohio, about 92 miles from my home.  The entire deal was conducted via 2 phone calls and text messaging.  The dealership delivered the car to my home so I could test drive it with the hubby.  I had to go through the drive through at my bank to get a cashier check.  We signed all the paperwork in my driveway.  On day 2, I messed up the liftgate trying to program it to not open so far that it hit my garage door.  I called the local Lincoln dealer.  They offered to pick it up and bring me a loaner but I chose to take it directly to the dealership.  They gave me a loaner and had my liftgate working the next day at no charge to me.  I can say that my experience at the Lincoln dealership was more than I ever expected.  I love my new ride and look forward to having it for many years.  It is Burgandy Velvet exterior with Ebony interior.  I can't say I would have chosen the exterior color but it has really grown on me.  The deal on this vehicle was just too good to pass up.  :)

Link.jpg

Edited by RedHoncho01
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

So I bit the bullet and bought a very gently used 2019 Nautilus Reserve.  It has every option available except the rear seat entertainment system.  I bought it from a dealership in Wooster, Ohio, about 92 miles from my home.  The entire deal was conducted via 2 phone calls and text messaging.  The dealership delivered the car to my home so I could test drive it with the hubby.  I had to go through the drive through at my bank to get a cashier check.  We signed all the paperwork in my driveway.  On day 2, I messed up the liftgate trying to program it to not open so far that it hit my garage door.  I called the local Lincoln dealer.  They offered to pick it up and bring me a loaner but I chose to take it directly to the dealership.  They gave me a loaner and had my liftgate working the next day at no charge to me.  I can say that my experience at the Lincoln dealership was more than I ever expected.  I love my new ride and look forward ot having it for many years.  It is Burgandy Velvet exterior with Ebony interior.  I can't say I would have chosen that color but it has really grown on me.  The deal on this vehicle was just too good to pass up.  :)

Link.jpg

The rims are sick!! Love the look....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

So I bit the bullet and bought a very gently used 2019 Nautilus Reserve.  It has every option available except the rear seat entertainment system.  I bought it from a dealership in Wooster, Ohio, about 92 miles from my home.  The entire deal was conducted via 2 phone calls and text messaging.  The dealership delivered the car to my home so I could test drive it with the hubby.  I had to go through the drive through at my bank to get a cashier check.  We signed all the paperwork in my driveway.  On day 2, I messed up the liftgate trying to program it to not open so far that it hit my garage door.  I called the local Lincoln dealer.  They offered to pick it up and bring me a loaner but I chose to take it directly to the dealership.  They gave me a loaner and had my liftgate working the next day at no charge to me.  I can say that my experience at the Lincoln dealership was more than I ever expected.  I love my new ride and look forward to having it for many years.  It is Burgandy Velvet exterior with Ebony interior.  I can't say I would have chosen the exterior color but it has really grown on me.  The deal on this vehicle was just too good to pass up.  :)

Link.jpg

Congrats on your new ride.  I'm sure you will love it, smooth and quiet. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Thank you.  I have only been around town. I'm anxious to get out and make a road trip. 

I purchased my BL in San Diego and drove it home about 630 miles.  That's one way to get those 22 way seats just perfect. :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

Those are the nicest rims Lincoln offers IMO.

I like those rims on the Nautilus too, my boss drives a 2019 Nautilus reserve with the same rims, although I liked the 5-spoke polished aluminum ones on the outgoing MKX better, had them on my 2017 MKX:

IMG_2648.JPG