Lincoln Aviator Roof Leak

Amyz

We took our new Lincoln Aviator  out this past weekend when there was heavy rains. After we parked, the alarm system went off. After disarming it, it continued to go off, so we left vehicle unlocked. One hour later, when we entered vehicle, water was noted to be pouring in from the plastic console overhead where the interior lights are. The space to house the key between front seats was full of water! There was also a leak behind the sunroof, pouring on third row seats. 
Drove it immediately to dealer service and they looked puzzled. 
Turns out the sunroof glass was not properly aligned at factory and therefore wasn’t sealed? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Where is the quality control? I hope we don’t have a lemon. Wonder if we can get mold under headliner?  They claim it has been fixed and water testing reveals no leak. 
It’s  unfortunate because we otherwise really like the vehicle.

Don’t be a jerk....who expects a brand new vehicle would have water pouring through the roof? Great quality control. How would anyone know to anticipate this in a Lincoln? Would you have confidence in the dealer’s fix? Especially when I read about a similar incident elsewhere!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Amyz said:

Don’t be a jerk....who expects a brand new vehicle would have water pouring through the roof? Great quality control. How would anyone know to anticipate this in a Lincoln? Would you have confidence in the dealer’s fix? Especially when I read about a similar incident elsewhere!

Don't be a..... never mind..I'll let that part slide.

To directly answer your question, yes...if I had enough confidence to BUY the vehicle from them, I have enough confidence to trust that when they tell me it is fixed, I will believe them. That is, unless it rains and it still leaks....do your own test and get out a garden hose and check it for yourself if you don't believe them. It is especially disappointing to spend upwards of 60K on a vehicle to have to get it fixed, but then again, that's why they put a warranty on it in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, Amyz said:

Thanks for the info. The dealer claims that the sunroof glass was not properly leveled at the factory. They claim they did this and after water testing with a hose it is now water tight! (Doubtful)

Amyz,  was your leak fixed?  Mine has a leak in the back - which they are still  figuring out

Amyz and jfishetti, wondering what your VIN number range is ?

I do NOT ask the exact VIN, but wondering roughly what your VIN range is. The last 4 digits tells us what number off the assembly line the car was produced. 

My first Aviator had a VIN ending in the 1300's and was sent to Flat Rock and never delivered to us

Our replacement Aviator has a VIN ending in the 8700's and was delivered with issues and stuff broken.  8700 indicates that at least 8,700 cars were already built  before ours and indicates that many had to be made before this/our car to be released,  and not sent to Flat Rock for assembly repair. 

9 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

I got word the leak was caused by a pinched drain tube.  They have unpinched or replaced the tube and put tons of water on the roof.  No water ingress is evident anymore.   So it was a simple fix.  

I’m sure you will, but I’d be sure to check the bottom of the spare tire well and ensure everything is good and dry. I assume that would be the low point of the body. 

And I would be a little ticked if they marked up the headliner by having to handle it. 

16 minutes ago, Amyz said:

I still can’t understand how this happens during production? 

The how it happens is "mass production"  At least 1% of a great running line will have small issues.  On a new launch with new production machinery it is closer to 10% will have issues after OKTB.  I understand it may be a lot of money, but in the grand scheme, it is not a cash cow for Ford.  Yes, they will make 5K-15K per unit, but the cost of R&D and the new plant overhaul are well over a Billion.  They have to make that up, while keeping the customer happy and having a good margin.  There is a delicate balance, major issues with quality and workers are eating into the balance sheet.  Each line worker has a certain number of repetitious jobs per hour they need to complete.  Start getting behind and they don't get the extra 10 seconds to make sure the panel is perfect.  I encourage you to take a trip and visit the  rouge assembly plant if they still offer tours.  You can literally walk the line above the workers building F-150s.  Humans are fallible, machines loose calibration or wear out.  It is not a perfect process.  As twintornado said earlier, the warranty is there to protect you, and the Aviator warranty is a good one.   

• Like 1

Well, if what you say is true, it’s very sad. 10 % is an unacceptably high number. I’ve had a lot of cars in my lifetime and never had any major issues like a roof leak when new. Here I thought by now the American products have improved In light of their foreign competition- I hope I don’t regret my choice. Thanks for the info. 

22 hours ago, Amyz said:

Well, if what you say is true, it’s very sad. 10 % is an unacceptably high number. I’ve had a lot of cars in my lifetime and never had any major issues like a roof leak when new. Here I thought by now the American products have improved In light of their foreign competition- I hope I don’t regret my choice. Thanks for the info. 

I'm not sure you understand.  Go to the JDPowers web site and review Initial Quality and the 3 year dependability studies.  10% is exceptionally low across all luxury brands.  Lincoln runs about 113 gigs per 100 vehicles which is better than the industry average of 142 per 100.  Yea that is a lot, but better than Benz, Audi, Honda, Jag, Caddy and many others.  Some people will have zero issues, others 20 plus.  The chance of a person having an issue small or large is really high, on any car.

• 1 month later...

BAD NEWS!!!! We had a light rain today and water came pouring through the roof again, in front and behind the sun roof as before. We are besides ourselves and will be contacting the regional service manager this week. We have had way too many problems for a vehicle that is 3 months old. Twintornados, this is the exact reason I no longer trust or have confidence in Lincoln....live and learn (see all my other postings of problems).