Compressor running when not turned on?

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought.  Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

guXcMJM.jpg

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only.  The defrost or a/c function was not selected.  It seems to be doing it consistently.  I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats.  Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected?  What tests should I run?

5 hours ago, bradleyheathhays said:

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought.  Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only.  The defrost or a/c function was not selected.  It seems to be doing it consistently.  I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats.  Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected?  What tests should I run?

Did you send the Crown Vic down the road?

Well that's the bedrock answer then because I run the fan in the dash and floor position.  Guess I'll start using floor only and see if that tube stays cold.

twin...yeah it's sad but the Vic is done for.  I'm getting it dragged back to my place and part it out.  See what you think about this..  I'm driving down the interstate doing 60 for about 15 miles, take an off ramp and come to s stop at the bottom.  Hit the gas to go again and nothing happens, in any gear.  Take it back to the shop and the see the drive shaft is turning so figure it's the differential.  When moving it on the lot the right rear wheel basically FALLS OFF and is now turned sideways as if it's being steered.  Mechanic says he's never seen that before.

She needs a new radiator and front end job too so at 320k she's going home.