New Owner Impressions

honestabe

I took delivery on Friday 10/10 and have put close to 500 miles on my car.

• AWD
  • Diamond Blue
  • Reserve 1 (201A)
  • Trailer hitch
  • Full 2nd row seat

Overall Impressions

Coming from an Audi Q7, I wanted something that was a bit more plush.  The new Audis seem a lot more stripped down inside and a bit too harsh looking outside.  The lines and feel of the Aviator are much more refined than the German design.

Seats:  I have the standard seats and I feel these are more comfortable than what i'm used to.  My wife loves them and was the main criteria for the car since she mostly sits in the passenger seat.   The 30-way seats seemed too tight on my sides - i'm a trim guy, but felt that the higher-end seats were too constricting (even at the most "open" setting") Standard seats are comfortable and feel great.  I will say that they have very agressive lumbars - it took a few days to get used to, but now I don't notice it.

Drive:  The car drives well, very smooth and super quiet.  No rattles I can make out while going over rough roads.   I'm not pushing it hard (yet) but the few times i've gunned it - to pass someone, i was shocked at how much power it has.   Coming from the 2.7 Audi Q7 this thing is a beast.

Adaptive Cruise Control:  Having driven some newer Audi's as loaners, the Adaptive cruise control is really good.  One indication is how it handles cars shifting infront of you.  The car does really well adapting to all sorts of conditions.   I felt really comfortable using it for 60-70 miles on Long Island, NY trafffic.

Sound System:  (14-speaker system) Sounds great.  Great bass and really full sound. 

Sync3 system:  Works well,  Nav is good, CarPlay is preferred, Voice control works well.  Touch screen is OK, doesn't react like an iPhone, but does the job

Auto Start/Stop:  Very fast restarts.  Not a fan, but the car is so quiet, sometimes you can't tell it's even turned off.

Parking assist: Haven't tried it yet

Let me know some other questions and I'll add to this post.

IMG_5194.jpeg

Edited by jfischetti
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping this topic would come up so am happy to give my impressions. Received mine on 10/15 and have put about 500 miles on it. Here are basics:

Black with Sandstone Interior 

Reserve 2 (202 pkg.)

Has all options except Black Label

What I like most:  Driving and handling- a big vehicle that drives small. So much fun to drive the wife and I fight over who gets to drive. We have to be careful with the acceleration for a few more miles but it is so exhilarating to feel that torque. Love the seats and the vibrating feature is real luxury.

what I like least:  The digital instrument cluster is disappointing after seeing the Audi and the new Mercedes. Even the Hyundai Pallasade is more impressive. Not sure what Lincoln was thinking with the plain black and white gages. The HUD and the center console screen are so nice I just look there for information.

Undecided on:  The engine noise. At high acceleration I enjoy it but at lower speeds it takes some of the luxury feel out of the car. Don’t get me wrong, it is a very quiet car except for the engine noise.

Overall we love the Aviator. It’s beautiful to look at, fun to drive, and very well made. So far I have had no first model year quality issues. Everything works, lines  up and fits as intended. I will be happy to answer questions and will share other thoughts as I get more experience with the Aviator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

reserve 2 with air suspension and connivence group. Every option except black label.

250 miles.

Took delivery on 10/31. Car was delivered to us with some obvious defects. 1) Rear console screen is totally blank/bad/broke on delivery 2) glove box light not working 3) one of the four exterior door handle light not working 4) sunglass holder trim module is hanging partially outside the roof panel   

These defects were found while driving of the dealer lot, we then just went around the block and returned to show the dealer that the car had several defects. We were Quite dissapointed, but not angry. They offered to give us a rental and fix the car, but we waited too long for delivery and wanted to finally use and enjoy the car. 

We ordered originally in April 2020 and had a VIN # in the 1300 with an expected delivery date on the ford computer of 8-20-19. By end of October we started to get irritated that the car was 2 months late. The dealer conceded that we were being more than patient and was able to get an identically colored and optioned Aviator from another dealer 30 miles away in Long Island. Turns out our first car was sent to Flat Rock MI from the plant in Chicago to be fixed due to major assembly issues. The first car had a VIN in the 1300. Our replacement car that we took delivery has a Vin of 8700. 

Overall impression. The car is truly amazing. Other than the quality issues we are truly extremely happy. 

Few things that we think that need improvement 

1) engine noise is a bit loud in low speeds 10-25mph. I thought that is would be more silent at low speeds. Over 25mph the engine noise disappears. 

2) ventilated seats ( cooled only setting- using blower) is also quite loud actually. a bit annoying, especially that my 2010 ( 9 year old Navigator) cooled seats are silent. 

3) No power outlets up front other than INSIDE the center arm rest flip up console. How to run " cigarette lighter" 12volt items like a radar detector ? Impossible. 

4) a bit more plastics inside than I would want at this price point. The Top of the dash is plastic and so are the lower doors. Would be nice to at least have an added cost option to have these wrapped or covered in leather or even a fake leather padded covering. Headliner and pillar liner is cloth, again, It would be nice to have a option to pay more to have it done/offered in suede or alacantera like my Corvette has. 

Positive, seats are amazing. Everything else is better than expected, including the plush ride, features, etc. So comfy and Luxurious.  EXCELLENT handling, excellent road feel, excellent steering response, excellent braking feel and short stopping distances, this coming from a 2016 Corvette Z06 owner. Tons of power from the engine. Flawless shifting transmission that is buttery smooth.  Other than the few gripes above its as good or better than the Range Rover Sport for the same price. 

We (wifey and I) decided against the Range Rover because the closest dealer is 30 miles away, and with possible reliability issues we did not want the hassle. Our Lincoln dealer is around 2 -3 miles from our home. We can even walk home after dropping it off for service. That was the real selling point for us. 

We also looked at the 2020 7 series BMW and new 2020 Mercedes SUV's that were quite nice, but we were not overly impressedwith them actually. 

Nice thing with Lincoln/Ford is that you can get an extended warranty for 8 years total, and then buy from Ford/Lincoln a secondary additional 5 years Ford factory contract after that for a total of 13 years coverage.

My 2010 Lincoln Navigator is STILL under FORD FACTORY warranty/service contract ( not aftermarket) until 2023 when it will be 13 years old, with a $100 deductible. Nice having that piece of mind with the FACTORY extended warranty on such a complex machine like the Aviator. Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover do NOT offer that length of coverage and when they do offer shorter coverage of only 7 years maximum,  it costs twice as much as the same comparable Lincoln coverage. 

Overall very happy except for the quality issues that will be fixed by the dealer when we bring it in for service. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, Lorac said:

4) a bit more plastics inside than I would want at this price point. The Top of the dash is plastic and so are the lower doors. Would be nice to at least have an added cost option to have these wrapped or covered in leather or even a fake leather padded covering. Headliner and pillar liner is cloth, again, It would be nice to have a option to pay more to have it done/offered in suede or alacantera like my Corvette has. 

I'm not sure what interior upgrades you get in the Aviator with Black Label, but if it is anything like the changes in the Nautilus it would have solved all your issues and some you didn't even know you had, except for lower door panel plastic (where it actually makes sense as that area of the car gets a lot of foot scuffs). Based on what I can see from Black Label build pictures, your dash would become high quality leather, your headliner would be extremely tactile synthetic suede, and many other leather bits would become not only more prevalent but much softer. But that also comes with a price jump...

11 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I'm not sure what interior upgrades you get in the Aviator with Black Label, but if it is anything like the changes in the Nautilus it would have solved all your issues and some you didn't even know you had, except for lower door panel plastic (where it actually makes sense as that area of the car gets a lot of foot scuffs). Based on what I can see from Black Label build pictures, your dash would become high quality leather, your headliner would be extremely tactile synthetic suede, and many other leather bits would become not only more prevalent but much softer. But that also comes with a price jump...

that is true, for the aviator as well! black label aviator changes a lot... the lower door trim is even soft touch for the BL. love the suede-like headliner, the soft leather, and dash treatment. 

Edited by AutomotiveAddicts
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 7:39 AM, Gurgeh said:

True, and Chrome side mirrors are also included, BUT to get the suede headliner, leather top dash and upper door panels means we would have t accept the "theme" and we actually disliked all 3 themes.

Rather get an all black interior without the upgraded materials.

I wish Lincoln offered the black label in other interior colors. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Very curious about the Western PA winters.  My family is from central PA, and I'd like to be confident it will do well on winter trips.  

I'm in western PA and in a lake effect area.  We have seen winter storms ranging from 24" snows to everything encased in thick ice, plus combinations of both. The GT is all wheel drive with a winter mode so it should be good... how good depends on the tires they give us.  Ice is the biggest concern with all season tires... I have winter wheels with Blizzak tires for both of our winter vehicles.  With Blizzaks my wife's front drive Fusion Hybrid easily makes it up our steep driveway no matter what the conditions... and I don't have to get up early to plow and treat like my neighbor does.  With the the factory all seasons it will most likely go much better than it stops.  Why did I say winter vehicles... because ever since PA started making brine with magnesium chloride, undercarriage damage has been swift and brutal (see link) and rinsing the underbody at the car wash after a winter storm is useless.  So instead of trading cars, we now keep the old ones as winter/park-and-ride beaters so we don't expose our new ones to brine damage and door dings. Shouldn't be an issue for those who lease or trade often.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/worse-than-salt-brine-sprayed-on-roads-will-munch-your-car-to-pieces/2015/02/22/b89294e6-b949-11e4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html

Edited by CoolScoop

• 4 weeks later...

Took possession today of a Reserve with Reserve I and Luxury Package. Burgundy Velvet over Ebony Roast. Everything looks and feels tight and right. Only 50 miles on it so far. Driver aids, especially Adaptive Cruise Control/Lane Centering require some study and practice, or they can be scary. Sync 3 and CarPlay will also take some thought. Questions welcome.

7/3: Ordered, with $5,000 deposit

11/12: Blend

11/14: Built

11/21: Shipped

12/3: Delivered, Burlington, WA

Edited by John Corso

• 9 months later...

I know I'm late to the party, but if anyone is perusing these threads looking for input, I'd like to share how we decided on build.

Built the Black Label with class IV trailer tow, dynamic handling, and full rear console.

Built each model except GT, because we need the added towing capacity.

Built a Standard with all safety features, plus hitch, and dynamic handling.

Built a Reserve II with all safety features, hitch, and dynamic handling. Reserve I wasn't enough for what we wanted (needed)

Prnted out full specs for each build, and laid out the pages on the kitchen counter.

Go through each line, mark down the differences.

Yes, you can save 5 or 10 thousand dollars, but look closely. The Black Label is all around the better car.

No regrets here.

On Wed Sept 15, 2020 we purchased a 2020 Aviator after shopping for quite a while to replace our 2017 Acadia Denali.  Initial impressions are mixed for one important reason - the 30 way seats and seat height.

My wife and I test drove an Aviator about a  month ago and we liked the car.  However, my wife now says the seat sits too high and is too narrow.  Im not going to get into why this came up after the purchase - there is nothing I can do about it now.

There were some fit and finish issues they are going to address, but overall it is a very nice car.  We have a red Reserve AWD with the 202A package and the convenience package.

it’s the nicest car we have ever owned.  Just wish the seat issue had come up

before we signed the paperwork...

7894DAFB-101D-449C-BDA4-AD60C125B2BC.jpeg

• Like 1

Hopefully she will get comfortable with the seats over a few weeks........great looking vehicle and love the color....now just ditch the ugly front dealer plate:)

What fit and finish issues are you seeing?  Was hoping most of those issues were finally cleared up and assume your vehicle was produced in the past 2-3 months. 

Good luck!

At the dealership I just left after nearly 35 years, the company policy is that every customer MUST drive the actual vehicle they're buying or leasing and the Dealer Principal considers it a condition of employment. It eliminates nearly all instances of a customer coming back about issues or things they didn't know, etc. 

Disappointed to hear that there are still fit and finish issues that should have been solved long ago. 

59 minutes ago, kyle said:

Hopefully she will get comfortable with the seats over a few weeks........great looking vehicle and love the color....now just ditch the ugly front dealer plate:)

What fit and finish issues are you seeing?  Was hoping most of those issues were finally cleared up and assume your vehicle was produced in the past 2-3 months. 

Good luck!

I will get rid of the dealer plate today ?

As for the fit and finish, ours was an aging out Aviator produced in Nov 2019 and I am just now seeing about issues with early models.  As for what we saw once we had the vehicle delivered are: Nick on steering wheel, Driver Seat back was not properly set (plastic overlapping leather), upper portion of driver seat back is loose, passenger pillar was loose (i popped it back in), minor scratch marks on the black piano finish between the rear side and rear window.  It almost looks like the driver seat was taken apart (recall?) at some point.

Anyone else notice the passenger seat vibrates back and forth when driving and no one is in it?

On the plus side, we did get $8500 off the MSRP.  This is the sticker for our car: windowsticker.pdf?vin=5LM5J7XC6LGL18219

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

Ughh.....some of this should of at least been picked up by the dealer before delivery and is just unacceptable whether you got a discount or paid a premium. 

Keep us posted on the dealer experience and your wife getting comfy in the seats:)  and the Aviator will look so much better without the plate!

2 hours ago, IcemanTX said:

On Wed Sept 15, 2020 we purchased a 2020 Aviator after shopping for quite a while to replace our 2017 Acadia Denali.  Initial impressions are mixed for one important reason - the 30 way seats and seat height.

My wife and I test drove an Aviator about a  month ago and we liked the car.  However, my wife now says the seat sits too high and is too narrow.  Im not going to get into why this came up after the purchase - there is nothing I can do about it now.

There were some fit and finish issues they are going to address, but overall it is a very nice car.  We have a red Reserve AWD with the 202A package and the convenience package.

it’s the nicest car we have ever owned.  Just wish the seat issue had come up

before we signed the paperwork...

7894DAFB-101D-449C-BDA4-AD60C125B2BC.jpeg

Question, was the one you test drove a base model with the regular seats and the one you got a reserve with the 30-way adjustable seats.  If so the 30-way seats sit higher at the lowest setting than the base seats do by a couple of inches.  Usually not a problem for most people, but if you are close to 6 ft tall or have a long torso and always drive with the seat all the way down, you will definitely notice a difference.

I will be speaking to the dealer today.  We did not pick up the car at the dealer, they brought it to us.  Yes, it is a little disappointing when getting such a nice car to have issues with it - granted they are cosmetic.

I just checked and it looks like there was a recall in for rear seat backs.  Makes me wonder if this vehicle was recalled and the driver seat not properly put back together?  However, there are no recalls noted on the Lincoln Owner site for this vehicle.

3 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Question, was the one you test drove a base model with the regular seats and the one you got a reserve with the 30-way adjustable seats.  If so the 30-way seats sit higher at the lowest setting than the base seats do by a couple of inches.  Usually not a problem for most people, but if you are close to 6 ft tall or have a long torso and always drive with the seat all the way down, you will definitely notice a difference.

I believe we test drove one with the 30 way adjustable seats.  My wife would like the seats to be lower, but it is a bit too late for that unfortnately.

2 hours ago, IcemanTX said:

I will be speaking to the dealer today.  We did not pick up the car at the dealer, they brought it to us.  Yes, it is a little disappointing when getting such a nice car to have issues with it - granted they are cosmetic.

I just checked and it looks like there was a recall in for rear seat backs.  Makes me wonder if this vehicle was recalled and the driver seat not properly put back together?  However, there are no recalls noted on the Lincoln Owner site for this vehicle.

There is normally a "Delivery Hold" placed on vehicles that have outstanding recalls. In those cases the dealership must perform the recall prior to delivering the vehicle and being able to report the sale. 

Got a call back from the dealership and they are going to replace the back of the drivers seat and need to order a part.  Whenever the part comes in, they will bring a loaner to me, repair and detail the Aviator then bring it back.  Good that they are taking care of it without any issues.