¼ Mile: 15.3 sec @ 89.3 mph

Skidpad: 0.76g

Car and Driver

2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0T AWD

3731 lbs.

0-60: 5.7 sec

¼ Mile: 14.3 sec @ 96 mph

Skidpad: 0.85g

So C&D got a 17 lb. heavier ’20 Titanium AWD to 60 1.2 sec faster, through the ¼ mile 1 sec faster (with a 6.7mph higher trap speed) that pulls almost 0.1 g more on the skidpad?  I am dumbfounded!  MT usually posts less quick results when testing "like vs like" vs. C&D.  But this is like they tested COMPLETELY different vehicles.

It also doesn’t help that C&D’s numbers border on wow and the MT numbers are just disappointing.

References

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/escape/2020/2020-ford-escape-first-test-review-cr-v-fighter

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29077713/2020-ford-escape-drive/

On 10/25/2019 at 3:28 PM, coupe3w said:

Different days tested, different tracks, altitude, and drivers all play a part. The difference in weight could be just the gas load.

I have been comparing instrumented test results between the two publications for more time than I will admit. 

I think the weight is a wash.  My reference to it was more of a "wow, it was SO much quicker and look, it was even heavier."

All of the variables you listed do play some part in generating different results when testing "like vs like." But the vast majority of the time the results are very close.  Maybe a few tenths/mph difference (half a second max). This is by far and away the largest difference I can recall.  Its as if MT tested a 2019 and C&D tested a 2020.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, Bamm1 said:

It also doesn’t help that C&D’s numbers border on wow and the MT numbers are just disappointing.

No one's mentioned tires. You think perhaps MT tested cars with different rubber than C&D? The review pictures show both got one with Bridgestone Ecopias, but C&D also had Continental CrossContact TX while MT's other car had Michelin Primacy. From what I've read, MT's skipad numbers would be really good for Ecopias. Add less traction to MT's history of "testing slow" and the numbers could all be real results from well-intentioned test technicians 

Have fun,

Frank

• 9 months later...