Ford’s Rating Inches Toward Junk at S&P on ‘Subpar’ Performance

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Uh Accord and Camry in their hey day would disagree with you on that one.

The Escape is the boring segment for people buying appliances. The Baby Bronco are for people who want something "cool" or neat

Accord and Camry sold in large part to their reputation (deserved or not) for superior quality relative to the competition. Escape doesn’t have that. I disagree that Escape “is the boring segment for people buying appliances” but it appears Ford is banking on that being the case. 

I think the new Escape deserves some praise for it's Hybrid system and excellent drivetrains, not to mention that outstanding interior packaging.  The Escape's 2.0T is uncommonly powerful for this appliance segment and the chassis is tuned toward sport instead of mush.  The exterior design is a little generic and featureless, I agree it's edging too closely to car language for an SUV.  I think they did a great job with the exterior proportions, especially compared to the previous car or something like the Equinox.  I think my only disappointment with the Escape is the interior, especially the door trim and door pulls, all of these looks and feels very inexpensively utilitarian.   They spruce things up with some optional amenities (HUD, full LCD instrument panel), but those door panels are baffling to me, I was surprised when I saw them.  What I do like about the interior is that it looks simpler, the fit and finish should be better than the dozens of panels of the old car and hopefully it reduces some of the creaks and rattles I associate with the old interior.

The Bronco Scout brings back some of that old Escape SUV charm, but with far more personality.     

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Accord and Camry sold in large part to their reputation (deserved or not) for superior quality relative to the competition. Escape doesn’t have that. I disagree that Escape “is the boring segment for people buying appliances” but it appears Ford is banking on that being the case. 

They’re not banking on that - they’re covering their bases with 2 different designs.  They can build as many of either one as the public wants to buy.  Dont forget Escape is replacing Focus.

11 hours ago, akirby said:

All I see on the road lately are Escape SEs and those probably sold more on price than anything else.

Since 2013 the Escape's pricing has been jacked up-the SEL used cost more then the TI base price fully loaded, but you got more in the Ti package baseline.

The SE is a decently equipped model that meets the needs of most people. I think my Wife's 2017 was like 30K and its actually better equipped outside of leather seats then my parents 2013 Ti model. Her's has dual power seats, while only the drivers side is powered on the 2013 Ti.

You also the cost cutting on the 2018-19 due to this also. 

The S model is the "cheap" model for the 2020 MY.

8 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I think the new Escape deserves some praise for it's Hybrid system and excellent drivetrains, not to mention that outstanding interior packaging.  The Escape's 2.0T is uncommonly powerful for this appliance segment and the chassis is tuned toward sport instead of mush.  The exterior design is a little generic and featureless, I agree it's edging too closely to car language for an SUV.  I think they did a great job with the exterior proportions, especially compared to the previous car or something like the Equinox.  I think my only disappointment with the Escape is the interior, especially the door trim and door pulls, all of these looks and feels very inexpensively utilitarian.   They spruce things up with some optional amenities (HUD, full LCD instrument panel), but those door panels are baffling to me, I was surprised when I saw them.  What I do like about the interior is that it looks simpler, the fit and finish should be better than the dozens of panels of the old car and hopefully it reduces some of the creaks and rattles I associate with the old interior.

The Bronco Scout brings back some of that old Escape SUV charm, but with far more personality.     

For all of Field’s failings, he deserves credit for today’s hybrids even with being pushed back.

People are  gonna love T6 Bronco Hybrid because it’s not what people expect - the priveliged few here have  been careful to shield info on this to keep Jeep and GM completely in the dark.