FCA and PSA in merger talks

silvrsvt

I can imagine the car ads... 

Buy a car at your local Jeep/Ram/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Maserati/Peugoet/Citroen/DS/Opel/Vauxhall dealer!

This would give this company more brands than most brands have models!

But when PSA bought Opel and Vauxhall I let out a WTF! Why buy brands losing market share in a shrinking market when they could merge with Fiat who was very vocal about finding a partner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dequindre said:

Can they make it stick this time? FCA has shopped itself to so many brands that now they're circling around again. 

The French government sabotaged the possible merger of FCA and Renault back in the spring.  The French government owns 15% of Renault and wields a lot of power.  Their additional demands caused John Elkann to walk away. 

• Like 1

• silvrsvt changed the title to FCA and PCA in merger talks
  • silvrsvt changed the title to FCA and PSA in merger talks
17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nissan strongly opposed too. 

And I have to wonder if the Ghosn situation is also a factor. Nissan seems to be fumigating itself of Ghosn's presence and it is being revealed to not be in such great shape. I wonder if there are things about Renault that haven't come to light for the public that FCA execs could see, but have to keep confidential. Renault also may not in such great shape either.

Edited by atomcat68

40 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

And I have to wonder if the Ghosn situation is also a factor. Nissan seems to be fumigating itself of Ghosn's presence and it is being revealed to not be in such great shape. I wonder if there are things about Renault that haven't come to light for the public that FCA execs could see, but have to keep confidential. Renault also may not in such great shape either.

The fact that the both seem to need each other to survive says all that needs to be said. They really should both swallow their pride and merge already. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The fact that the both seem to need each other to survive says all that needs to be said. They really should both swallow their pride and merge already. 

Renault would in a second, Nissan is telling them to F*** Off, and wants to go on it own. Nissan has and is basically subsiding the Renault over the past few years.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, atomcat68 said:

I can imagine the car ads... 

Buy a car at your local Jeep/Ram/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Maserati/Peugoet/Citroen/DS/Opel/Vauxhall dealer!

This would give this company more brands than most brands have models!

But when PSA bought Opel and Vauxhall I let out a WTF! Why buy brands losing market share in a shrinking market when they could merge with Fiat who was very vocal about finding a partner.

Opel is probably history.

Only value is heep and ram...honestly, last thing i would ever own is anything from datsun or the others,,france can make wine and chessy bread..everthing else outa there is garbage...at least the italians can build a great bike like Beta..

Edited by snooter

Opel's left over GM designs are fading out, so no "Chrysler Regal". Also, with car sales way down, don't expect return of Sebring, Dart, or Intrepid, as some Mopar fans are assuming. Others are demanding a "savior" to buy Chrysler and "make it American again". Who?

With PSA, maybe more Dodge CUV's for 'volume', but I think Chrysler brand will die off. They are now the minivan brand, the 300 is dying a slow, painful death. And no "new Dodge Gran Fury".

I would have Peugoet take over the Fiat dealerships by adding their models (probably CUV models 3008 and5008 to start) while subtracting Fiat over the next two model years.

I would have Chrysler sell CUV models from Citroen and DS brand (the twin cars of Peugoet) as Chryslers, so the Citroen and DS nameplates would not make it here. The Pacifica would stay and the 300 would not.  Dodge would sell the Challenger and Charger.

No more Fiat in the USA... ever!

Develop Alfa and Maserati as planned... Oh wait there really doesn't seem to be a plan. I'd come up with one. I'd make it realistic, and I'd stick with it.

Jeep and Ram are rocking, so keep rocking, although I'd like to put Ram back as a Dodge or make it a Jeep Ram and make Jeep a truck powerhouse, which would insulate it somewhat if another SUV downturn occurs as trucks are always needed. There are too many brand identities to manage.  

Lancia would disappear from the face of the Earth as they are only in Italy with one model. This would be painful to do this to such a storied brand, but they destroyed it anyway and there are too many brands for this combined company to keep.