FCA and PSA in merger talks

silvrsvt

18 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I would have Peugoet take over the Fiat dealerships by adding their models (probably CUV models 3008 and5008 to start) while subtracting Fiat over the next two model years.

I would have Chrysler sell CUV models from Citroen and DS brand (the twin cars of Peugoet) as Chryslers, so the Citroen and DS nameplates would not make it here. The Pacifica would stay and the 300 would not.  Dodge would sell the Challenger and Charger.

No more Fiat in the USA... ever!

I don't believe that Americans are any more eager to buy a Peugoet than they were to buy Fiats.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, grbeck said:

I don't believe that Americans are any more eager to buy a Peugoet than they were to buy Fiats.

I think they're more likely to buy a Peugeot than a Fiat, though, as they have products US buyers may want, as opposed to odd looking baby cars.

2 hours ago, grbeck said:

Check out the line up on the Wikipedia page. They have some pretty sweet looking CUV and cars. The Citroen C4 Cactus would make a great Chrysler branded small CUV.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, atomcat68 said:

Check out the line up on the Wikipedia page. They have some pretty sweet looking CUV and cars. The Citroen C4 Cactus would make a great Chrysler branded small CUV.

If they are branded as Chryslers or Dodges, they might have a chance. Otherwise, this is a mature market with plenty of choices available to customers. It will be tough to launch a new nameplate in North America.

28 minutes ago, grbeck said:

If they are branded as Chryslers or Dodges, they might have a chance. Otherwise, this is a mature market with plenty of choices available to customers. It will be tough to launch a new nameplate in North America.

I made that point earlier, perhaps in another thread. There's already too many brands worldwide as it is. This would be a good opportunity to phase a few out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I made that point earlier, perhaps in another thread. There's already too many brands worldwide as it is. This would be a good opportunity to phase a few out. 

I heard on Autoline Daily today that the consulting firm, LMC Automotive, speculates the new PSA/FCA company could spin off both Alfa Romeo and Maserati.  

PSA's EMP2 platform is the obvious answer (and a lifeline really) for FCA. Instead of developing its own FWD platforms to replace both Renegade/Compass and Cherokee, there is now a clear path forward for those vehicles.

PSA and FCA are already very closely linked in commercial vans in Europe so there is no change there.

The interesting development here is what could PSA do with FCA's RWD platforms. There is the Alfa Romeo platform which seems ready to spawn new large Opel and Peugeot vehicles but PSA seems committed to FWD EMP2 path for those brands. There is also the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform which frankly is too expensive for anything that PSA sells in Europe.

There is also question about brands and which one they will keep... you have a stable full of regional brands that doesn't resonate outside their home region (some doesn't even travel out of its national borders):

Brands: Distribution footprint

Fiat: Europe, Middle East, and South America

Alfa Romeo: Worldwide

Maserati: Worldwide

Lancia: Italy

Fiat Professional: Europe, Middle East, and South America

Chrysler: North America

Dodge: North America

Jeep: Worldwide

Ram: North America

Peugeot: Europe, Middle East, Africa, China, South America 

Citroen: Europe, China 

DS: Europe, China

Opel: Europe, Middle East

Vauxhall: UK

There doesn't seem to be any appetite to whittle down the overlapping European brands so the bloat will continue. This combination should also permanently shelve PSA's plan to return to the US market... there is simply no need when the combined company already has a bunch of regional brands here. 

• Like 2

We won't see any new compact/mid size cars in PSA-FCA dealers after this is done. Only if Millennials start to buy new cars, maybe they could come back? They seem to like SUVs, pickups,,,

No "new Sebring" or "return of Omni", and I'm sure some Mopar fan old boy thinks "Plymouth will come back!".

Edited by 630land

On 11/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, mackinaw said:

I heard on Autoline Daily today that the consulting firm, LMC Automotive, speculates the new PSA/FCA company could spin off both Alfa Romeo and Maserati.  

Spin-off independently, or sell to someone else? They can barely stay afloat as it is with the backing of FCA.

• 3 weeks later...

A collection of all the worse and unreliable brands all put into one.  And I can't and I'm beyond frustrated Chrysler is even around...just when you think it'll die a certain death it always gets saved in some way.  Its like a roach, sucker won't die....

• Like 1