Sync 4 is on its way....

Guess my Post didn't take!

I'm assuming the 15.5 screen is going into the new F-150 and maybe the Mach E

The 12 inch screen is going into everything else.

14 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Coming out Real Soon Now, just as G5 networks are rolling out nationwide, I wonder if Sync 4 will have G5 compatibility? ...and wonder which vehicles get it first? My guess, the Mach-E (with a big screen) at the very least.

I'd assume it can update via Wifi or create a mesh Wifi network with your cell phone to do updates with.

Does Sync support wifi connections with your phone? I know BT has limited bandwidth and Wifi connections fix that-esp when it comes to CarPlay and like.  

22 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Does this mean that the 8 inch standard is going away with all future redesigns?  Or will those remain, but use SYNC 3 (kind of as a base model)?  I only see mentions of those monster screens for SYNC 4.

Well, dashes will have to be designed for the larger screens, but I could see setups where the 8" screen becomes the standard and then you upgrade to the larger ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Sync 4 is debuting with the premium 15" Screens, Mach-E and 2021 F-150 are the first.  I assume Sync 4 rolls out to more screens eventually.   Mach E gets a vertical orientation, F-150 is landscape.  

The vertical 15” display in the article has a volume knob in the lower center.  That’s not going to work in landscape orientation, unless of course there are other versions.  I have a feeling we will see the 12” landscape display in the 2021 F150.  

I think it could be Mach-E too. But look at the thermostat with the numbers the degrees are in. It starts at 73 and then goes up 1 at a time to 78. Then it drops down to 64, jumps up to 86, and then back down to 72. Then it starts again with the 73-78, etc. Clearly the years of the Mustang that we need to look at. From 1973-1978, the Mustang II were on sale. Then down to 1964 where first Mustang went on sale. Jumps up to 1986 where it's the final year of the Fox Body Mustang with the exposed headlights styling (1987 had the aero headlamps covers). Then it goes back down to 1972 and pauses before starting over again with 1973-1978. That's all I see from the temperatures is possible references to the years of Mustang, if it is indeed the Mach-E.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexk said:

I'm slightly confused by the article. Is Sync4 currently in use in the 2020 models or its coming out first on the 21 f150 & mach e and the 20's can upgrade to it?

Yes, this confused me too. Since it is not yet in any vehicles and the 2020s are on sale, my guess is that it means it will soon be appearing in the new and redesigned vehicles coming out in 2020 (though they will technically be 2021 model years).

Probably to be retrofitted where possible in existing vehicles also for 2021 MY.

10 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I think it could be Mach-E too. But look at the thermostat with the numbers the degrees are in. It starts at 73 and then goes up 1 at a time to 78. Then it drops down to 64, jumps up to 86, and then back down to 72. Then it starts again with the 73-78, etc. Clearly the years of the Mustang that we need to look at. From 1973-1978, the Mustang II were on sale. Then down to 1964 where first Mustang went on sale. Jumps up to 1986 where it's the final year of the Fox Body Mustang with the exposed headlights styling (1987 had the aero headlamps covers). Then it goes back down to 1972 and pauses before starting over again with 1973-1978. That's all I see from the temperatures is possible references to the years of Mustang, if it is indeed the Mach-E.

Damn that is a bit deep, but you can see the battery info under trips-a bit more oblivious LOL

• Like 1

Sync 3.4 with the new UI is on some 2020 vehicles, It will be an OTA or USB upgrade for some 2018+ vehicles as well. Sync 4 will be on new 2021MY vehicles, however not all 2021 vehicles will move to Sync 4, some will stay with Sync 3.X though their life cycle.

2022 (MY2023) is when some Ford vehicles will get C-V2X connectivity, and will be transition to 5G after that time. 

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

if your lost like me, this is it in English:

Cellular vehicle-to-everything

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

2022 (MY2023) is when some Ford vehicles will get C-V2X connectivity, and will be transition to 5G after that time. 

5G not coming to Ford vehicles until after MY2023? Huh. Cellular networks are working fast right now to build out their 5G networks. It would be disappointing to see cars waiting another 3-4 years before implementing the new standard.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

5G not coming to Ford vehicles until after MY2023? Huh. Cellular networks are working fast right now to build out their 5G networks. It would be disappointing to see cars waiting another 3-4 years before implementing the new standard.

The way I'm taking this is that they won't be able to share telemetry data with 5G networks-not just data.

5G networks are in their infancy, some of the standards are not even complete and the hardware radio towers that are being installed will need to be upgraded (mostly though software) to the new standard. There are very few phones that currently support the standard, and the few that currently do are flagship phones and will need updates. If you have AT&T and it say 5Ge that isn't 5G, it is just marketing where they updated the icon and used some tech that is being proposed in the 5G standard but it isn't real 5G.  Even the flagship models from Apple and Google are not compatible with 5G and won't be until the end of 2020. 5G is more important in application where latency (how long it takes data to move though the system) becomes an issue, it is 25ms in current LTE networks, 5G hopes to get that to 4ms. Think self driving cars, PTC System, Traffic Management. It also helps with high demand locations because it can handle more connected devices. 5G wont be in all phones sold until 2022/23 time frame, budget phones will continue on using LTE for at least 2+ more years. Ford is wise to wait until the standard is finalized, costs of modems become cheaper and the devices that cars would connect too are also installed. Even the current C-V2X standard is based on LTE. This is the problem Ford and OEM have when planning they are guessing where the technology is, if they guess right they end up with the original Ford Sync system, they guess wrong and you get a MyFordTouch.

While you will hear a lot about 5G over the next 2 years, the vast majority of users will not see the real benefits of it for 3-5 Years.

• Like 1