Sync 4 is on its way....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gurgeh said:

Coming out Real Soon Now, just as G5 networks are rolling out nationwide, I wonder if Sync 4 will have G5 compatibility? ...and wonder which vehicles get it first? My guess, the Mach-E (with a big screen) at the very least.

I highly doubt it, do any phones currently support it? These systems automakers use seem out of date by the time they release, there's no way they're rocking tomorrows tech.

I imagine the focus is more on basic functionality and reliability versus being 1st to the greatest new thing, and that's probably the right way to go if you can't guarantee a bug-free software experience in something important like a moving vehicle. 

Edited by probowler

On 2/7/2020 at 2:42 AM, probowler said:

I imagine the focus is more on basic functionality and reliability versus being 1st to the greatest new thing, and that's probably the right way to go if you can't guarantee a bug-free software experience in something important like a moving vehicle. 

Haven't done that yet. Why start now? 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

It appears not as Sync 4 is reported to have twice the computing power of Sync 3, thus a hardware bottleneck.

It's really frustrating that the automakers use the absolute minimum possible hardware spec in these infotainment systems... Knowing that eventually the hardware and software will be outdated but unable to support newer OS versions with higher processing requirements. 

The support for these systems  leaves a lot to be desired. 

Edited by probowler

26 minutes ago, probowler said:

It's really frustrating that the automakers use the absolute minimum possible hardware spec in these infotainment systems... Knowing that eventually the hardware and software will be outdated but unable to support newer OS versions with higher processing requirements. 

Good thing they don’t do that with smartphones, otherwise you’d have to buy a new smartphone every few years.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, probowler said:

The support for these systems  leaves a lot to be desired. 

What are you exactly trying to ask for? I have a almost 7 year old car and the only thing I can bitch about it is that it doesn't support CarPlay, which would be useful when I need to run navigation (Waze) and talk on my phone. 

Outside of stuff for an BEV, there isn't much need for an improved stuff for a car because CarPlay and its Android equivalent handle that via your smart phone, which is easily upgradable. 

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Good thing they don’t do that with smartphones, otherwise you’d have to buy a new smartphone every few years.

I don't buy a new smartphone until I break my old one... And everyone I've had (Xperias) has gone up at least one android version (ex: 7.0>8.0)