Muscle Car Owners Are Dumping Mustang, Camaro, Challenger for Jeep Wrangler, FCA Boss Says

I just made this post over at GMI:

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
Is there no demand because the products aren't there to spark desire or are there no products which spark desire because there is no demand?

Chicken or the egg question. If you build it will they come?

I think some of it has to do with the price of vehicles - vehicles are so expensive and only going up, so people wind up making what is the practical (or to use ksr's word - utilitarian) choice - a vehicle than can do a bit of all things rather than something they may truly want like a sports car.

That, and cars I feel aren't the "freedom" they once were. Cars were a way to get out into the world and meet your friends - the only way (ignoring public transit of course) - and they were an extension of self expression. Now people of all ages really can get a similar feeling of "freedom" in their hands with their phone - you can talk to or even see your friends without leaving your bed. Couple that with people wanting "experiences" now, a car is becoming more of an appliance rather than a mode of expression. Obviously they still are for plenty of people, but the appliance slice of the pie is getting larger.

The trick is - can you build a product that both sparks that desire AND satisfies that utility aspect? There have been different takes on it with mixed results, and even those results depend on who you ask.

How does that apply to this?  The pony cars were the "gotta have it" symbol of "freedom" and a way to express yourself with modifications.  In today's crossover/utilitarian crazed world, with people looking for a practical vehicle that also fits in a budget.........in other words, Wrangler and Bronco can be the new pony cars for this generation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

If he says so.  Doesn't it benefit him right now to say that since they are looking to find a dance partner so they have a future. Sorry, you can't put a supercharged hellcat engine in everything and buy tax credits from Tesla to survive every year.

Shouldn't have to buy damn tax credits in a free and just society.

• Like 7

I would think its exactly the quote that rmc523 posted above.  Pony cars are mostly bought for "gotta have it" / "look cool"  / "freedom" factor.  As SUVs become more popular and cars less so, it is only natural that will also apply to the "gotta have it" vehicles as well.

1 hour ago, itguy09 said:

Wonder how they figured that out?  Most die hard muscle/sports car people don't want Jeeps.  2 totally separate types of vehicles.

Diehards don't pay the bills. 

Selling cars is about selling to your biggest audience (and making a profit off them) and the audience for Sports Cars is  more or less at niche levels-Do you want to sell 80-100K $30K Sports cars or do you want to sell 250-300K SUV's at $40-50K a pop?

Part of the reason why the Mustang is still around is that its Ford number one known product (even more so then the F-series I'd say) and its part of its legacy. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to get rid of it? You saw what happened roughly 30 years ago when Ford thought about it with the Probe.

I'm betting that there is going to be a giant shitshow when the Mach E has the Mustang name or Mustang badging on it when it showed off next month-but in the grand scheme of things its going to allow the Mustang to survive for another 50 years-Just look at what CUV additions have done for Porsche over the years. 

25 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm betting that there is going to be a giant shitshow when the Mach E has the Mustang name or Mustang badging on it when it showed off next month-but in the grand scheme of things its going to allow the Mustang to survive for another 50 years-Just look at what CUV additions have done for Porsche over the years. 

I personally don't have a problem with the Mach-E using the lit Pony, but if given the choice would rather it was mot called Mustang Mach-E.  If it is I like most other against this will get over it, it certainly would not stop me from buying another Mustang.  I also would like to replace my wife's car with a Mach-E if I can afford it in a couple of years.

I don't however think the link to the Mustang will have any effect on future sales of Mustangs.  If it is to survive long term (and I think it will) it will be on its own merits.  

They get rid of the stang i will never buy another ford product...they could shut down for all i care....have no issue with lectric stang if it remains true to form.....now this article is just garbage...people trade out of the new cj's just as fast as the 2 door coupes..heeps cj's beat you to death but they are fun and kewl...now the problem is the new cj's are pushing $40k which they are not worth...therefore i will keep my 61 cj heep and the scout...new f350 in driveway soon as i see how the new 20's shake out..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yep, and I'm sharpening my pitchfork as we speak.

If Mustang has to turn into a 5 door "SUV" to survive for another 50 years, just kill it now. It doesn't need Mach E to survive. A slow(ish) progression to electrification using the existing platform would be the way to do it. We know we're getting a hybrid S550/S650, that should be step one. Then follow it up with a full electric S650.......whilst still building ICE S650s to the ever decreasing niche of Mustang lovers. Mustang has survived 50 years by adapting to current trends (smaller footprint and less gas-guzzlers in the mid to late 70s......Euro-style sports car in the 80s.......retro-futurism in the mid 2000s......all this whilst still adhering to that pony car formular of a sporty 2+2 with a long nose and short tail.

What Ford should be doing (in my book) is letting Mach E be the best FORD it can be WITHOUT needing to steal the Mustang's laurels. If Mach E is a success and brings in lots of $$ for Ford, then some of that cash can be spent on keeping Mustang alive. THAT'S what Porsche has done with their SUVs.....they are not 911 SUVs but Porsche SUVs and the money they bring means the 911 can be what a 911 has always been.

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Yep, and I'm sharpening my pitchfork as we speak.

If Mustang has to turn into a 5 door "SUV" to survive for another 50 years, just kill it now. It doesn't need Mach E to survive. A slow(ish) progression to electrification using the existing platform would be the way to do it. We know we're getting a hybrid S550/S650, that should be step one. Then follow it up with a full electric S650.......whilst still building ICE S650s to the ever decreasing niche of Mustang lovers. Mustang has survived 50 years by adapting to current trends (smaller footprint and less gas-guzzlers in the mid to late 70s......Euro-style sports car in the 80s.......retro-futurism in the mid 2000s......all this whilst still adhering to that pony car formular of a sporty 2+2 with a long nose and short tail.

What Ford should be doing (in my book) is letting Mach E be the best FORD it can be WITHOUT needing to steal the Mustang's laurels. If Mach E is a success and brings in lots of $$ for Ford, then some of that cash can be spent on keeping Mustang alive. THAT'S what Porsche has done with their SUVs.....they are not 911 SUVs but Porsche SUVs and the money they bring means the 911 can be what a 911 has always been.

Your reading into what I'm saying-I didn't say the Mustang in its current form should go away-if anything the Mustang family will grow with the Mach E and whatever else comes along. Just like what Porsche is doing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, snooter said:

They get rid of the stang i will never buy another ford product...they could shut down for all i care....have no issue with lectric stang if it remains true to form.....now this article is just garbage...people trade out of the new cj's just as fast as the 2 door coupes..heeps cj's beat you to death but they are fun and kewl...now the problem is the new cj's are pushing $40k which they are not worth...therefore i will keep my 61 cj heep and the scout...new f350 in driveway soon as i see how the new 20's shake out..

Same here, they ever discontinue the regular ole V8 Mustang GT I will lose my loyalty to Ford. Still such a great performance value. 

16 hours ago, 630land said:

Most "muscle car Die Hards" are at auctions buying old ones. Barrett-Jackson is 90% gray hair/bald men wanting their "HS/College car".

I was at the Mecum auction in Schaumburg last weekend, and while I never had a Ford product in my youth, there was a Cougar Eliminator there I would have liked to bring home.  And yes, I'm gray, but still have my hair,,,,,,

HRG

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Relax. It's not happening. 

sanity is refreshing rather than knee jerk reactions....and isn't there a rumor of a "hybrid" Mustang with rumored performance on par if not better than the current GT?....Mustangs going no where....and please , get over the usage of a prancing horse..