Muscle Car Owners Are Dumping Mustang, Camaro, Challenger for Jeep Wrangler, FCA Boss Says

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The head muppet at Jeep is gonna shit his pants when he see what Bronco has.....

But it's still a Jeep...that brand equity isn't going to disappear overnight.

The one left out in the cold will likely be GM, as it has nothing to counter the Jeep or the Bronco at this point.

What heep needs is a run of 2 door Unlimited's....14 years later the LJ's are still bringing premium price...the 4 doors on the gladiator just kills that rig...useless for everything which i am afraid how bronco is going to end up as well.....but u city folk can bring home your case of Ensure in style

14 hours ago, grbeck said:

The one left out in the cold will likely be GM, as it has nothing to counter the Jeep or the Bronco at this point.

They’re both so far behind and about to get seriously bitch slapped by Broncos 

a lot of the actual engine info was kept from certain people to prevent them broadcasting it to all and sundry.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:33 AM, snooter said:

They get rid of the stang i will never buy another ford product...they could shut down for all i care....have no issue with lectric stang if it remains true to form.....now this article is just garbage...people trade out of the new cj's just as fast as the 2 door coupes..heeps cj's beat you to death but they are fun and kewl...now the problem is the new cj's are pushing $40k which they are not worth...therefore i will keep my 61 cj heep and the scout...new f350 in driveway soon as i see how the new 20's shake out..

Under the new UAW contract, ford has agreed to a an all new Mustang in 2023 which looks to be timed right at the end of the new contract

Also sounds like proposed mid sized BEVs for Flat Rock are now not happening there either so maybe Ford has realised a thing or two that’s not working with its electric plans

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Under the new UAW contract, ford has agreed to a an all new Mustang in 2023 which looks to be timed right at the end of the new contract

Also sounds like proposed mid sized BEVs for Flat Rock are now not happening there either so maybe Ford has realised a thing or two that’s not working with its electric plans

I dont think any of us would raise much of a concern on the mustang having an electric option. The problem is we dont want that nameplate used on fords version of a prius - it needs to fit alongside the original (2 door, long hood/short deck). If they do that (ford mustang prius) expect backlash. 

39 minutes ago, snooter said:

I dont think any of us would raise much of a concern on the mustang having an electric option. The problem is we dont want that nameplate used on fords version of a prius - it needs to fit alongside the original (2 door, long hood/short deck). If they do that (ford mustang prius) expect backlash. 

somebody hasn’t been paying attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Could they be the new Ohio product?  Or maybe they’re going with Rivian?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, grbeck said:

I really don't understand why they cancelled their bronco/jeep competitor. I would think chevy truck guys might appreciate a tough chevy suv. Maybe they thought it would take away Silverado sales versus growing the brand? 

Edited by probowler

8 hours ago, snooter said:

The difference is that this thing looks like a mustang and is wicked fast

The back lash will be nothing compared to mustang buyers defecting to Bronco.

Edited by jpd80

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Did they actually state 2023 for the all new Mustang though? I know the new UAW contract covers 4 years, so the all new Mustang would have to appear within that time frame, but I didn't see the year 2023 actually stated.

Apologies if I've missed something......I'm merely trying to gather as much information as I can on the next-gen Mustang :)

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Did they actually state 2023 for the all new Mustang though? I know the new UAW contract covers 4 years, so the all new Mustang would have to appear within that time frame, but I didn't see the year 2023 actually stated.

Apologies if I've missed something......I'm merely trying to gather as much information as I can on the next-gen Mustang :)

They used the term all new Mustang and said by 2023. I would figure that as being a heavy evolution of today’s car

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Not really.  I'm sure he's looking at trade-in data provided by the dealers.  I see very few Mustang's, Camaro's or Challengers in rural northern Michigan.  I do see a ton of Jeep Wranglers.

Last time i checked,michigan is just one state.I do think fca got fined millions of dollars for cooking the books,or INFLATING sales,so what he says means nothing to me.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:48 AM, silvrsvt said:

Diehards don't pay the bills. 

Selling cars is about selling to your biggest audience (and making a profit off them) and the audience for Sports Cars is  more or less at niche levels-Do you want to sell 80-100K $30K Sports cars or do you want to sell 250-300K SUV's at $40-50K a pop?

Diedard was a wrong choice on my part but I doubt many cross shop sports cars and Jeeps.  Those that buy a 2 door sports car know what they are getting into - an impractical vehicle that's fun.  The Wrangler is marginally more practical but definitely a totally different type of vehicle and one I doubt many cross shop.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:48 AM, silvrsvt said:

Part of the reason why the Mustang is still around is that its Ford number one known product (even more so then the F-series I'd say) and its part of its legacy. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to get rid of it? You saw what happened roughly 30 years ago when Ford thought about it with the Probe.

I'm betting that there is going to be a giant shitshow when the Mach E has the Mustang name or Mustang badging on it when it showed off next month-but in the grand scheme of things its going to allow the Mustang to survive for another 50 years-Just look at what CUV additions have done for Porsche over the years. 

Agree completely on the Mustang.  There has never been a year since 64 that you couldn't buy one.  Some were great, some were good, and some were bad (looking at you Mustang II).  But it's the one of most widely known vehicles on the planet.  As long as it can share bits with the F150 (engine, transmission) and make money I don't think it's going anywhere. 

Some may bitch about the expansion of Mustang but I say bring it on as long as it performs.  Porsche did that with the SUVs and even the Panamera.  They are Porsche through and through.  I love my Mustang but for all intents and purposes it's a 2 seater.  If it had 4 doors, handled, sounded, and looked like the current generation I bet they would sell tons more.  

• Like 1