Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Or why having a swinggate is such a big deal.

Because if your parked on the street or some other confined area-you have to deal with this:

First Drive: 2018 Ford EcoSport | CAR

A door that sticks out about 3 feet or so. 

I'd be perfectly fine with a fold down gate on it, which I don't think the full size bronco will offer. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Because if your parked on the street or some other confined area-you have to deal with this:

I'd be perfectly fine with a fold down gate on it, which I don't think the full size bronco will offer. 

My 1985 Bronco ll had the swing out spare tire. I liked the cover on it with the bucking Bronco, but I hated the swing out feature. My wife's Rav 4 had the swing out spare tire and I hated that also and the vehicle in general. Not sure why Ford did the swing out tailgate on the Ecosport. Would be a dealbreaker for me and probably many others since it doesn't sell well.

meh...you've still got a similar issue with a swing up liftgate...there are times I cant open the rear  of, say and Edge, if its parked too close to the car behind it...

I should clarify that I wouldn't be opposed to it having a tailgate.  But it clearly won't, and I don't see it not having a tailgate as some massive end of the world thing that it's been made out to be - that's all I mean.  Also, the mechanism of having to first swing out a spare tire and then folding down a tailgate would be annoying, not to mention would also have clearance issues with swinging the tire out.

To quote RMC..."0 people have ever said/expected Sport to be a hardcore off-roader.  Just that it'd be more capable than Escape, and marketed toward the buyer that might like the Bronco look but at a lower price and size."

Well one feature it  has is that it looks like it will have good rearward visibility.  My wife has had 3 Explorers and when it came time for her fourth she would not go for the new platform as she claimed rearward vision was NG.  did not want to hear about "mirrors and cameras"  So her fourth is a CPO 2010.  Has 83,000 on it now and when time comes to replace I'm sure the Sport will be her choice.  And we are not "off roaders" but are on the end of a 500' common drive, and every now and then get a lot of snow (140" 3 years ago) so should be "capable".

20 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well one feature it  has is that it looks like it will have good rearward visibility.  My wife has had 3 Explorers and when it came time for her fourth she would not go for the new platform as she claimed rearward vision was NG.  did not want to hear about "mirrors and cameras"  So her fourth is a CPO 2010.  Has 83,000 on it now and when time comes to replace I'm sure the Sport will be her choice.  And we are not "off roaders" but are on the end of a 500' common drive, and every now and then get a lot of snow (140" 3 years ago) so should be "capable".

I just can’t understand why folks are so preoccupied with rear visibility nowadays.  In college I drove an E350 delivery box truck with 0 rear visibility other than the side mirrors.    It doesn’t make a difference going forward, you have the camera and sensors when backing up and when changing lanes you still need to look over your shoulder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

My 1985 Bronco ll had the swing out spare tire. I liked the cover on it with the bucking Bronco, but I hated the swing out feature. My wife's Rav 4 had the swing out spare tire and I hated that also and the vehicle in general. Not sure why Ford did the swing out tailgate on the Ecosport. Would be a dealbreaker for me and probably many others since it doesn't sell well.

The 1st gen EcoSport swing gate is a concession to externally mounted spare tire that was originally part of the design - the whole rugged outdoor 4x4 look. Its European cousin Fusion had conventional hatchback and spare tire under the trunk. 

The faux 4x4 look continued with 2nd gen but when Ford tried to sell the car in Europe, the focus group laughed at the whole idea so Ford eliminated the external spare tire but didn't put in a proper hatchback to go with it. Just another half ass Ford thing that we've grown accustomed to over the years. 

1024px-Ecosport.jpg

1024px-Ford_Fusion_rear_20080222.jpg

1024px-2015_Ford_EcoSport_(BK)_Trend_wag

Edited by bzcat

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Here's the Bronco's center stack:

So looks like there will be two size screens, this is the larger one:

2021-bronco-display screen.jpg

Earlier spy pics showed a smaller one:

2021-bronco-interior-bronco-int01-kgp-jpg-jpg.6628

Any idea on the size? The larger one definitely looks like it fits better.

3 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Any idea on the size? The larger one definitely looks like it fits better.

https://www.tflcar.com/2020/05/ford-bronco-infotainment-manual-transmission-news/

TFL truck speculated that it's the same 12" display the new F-150 will use, with the earlier photos probably being a 8 or 10 inch unit.

Comparing the identical switchgear beneath the screen between the Bronco and F-150 spy shots, I'd agree with that 12" assessment:

2021-bronco-display screen.jpg

Get a Look at the 2021 Ford F-150's Screen-Heavy Dash

Edited by rmc523

15 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Looks like the post got pulled...can someone repost it?

What do you mean? What's not working for you?

The photos and article pull up on my screen.

There's the Bronco6g thread too:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/leaked-2021-bronco-display-screen-center-stack-7-speed-auto-transmission-crawler-gear-off-road-package.1338/

Edited by rmc523

I'm amazed that these oversized displays are not regarded a a driver distraction,

yeah I know most people set up everything before driving off but then you see

people mucking about with them while driving down the freeways or surface roads.

Just now, jpd80 said:

I'm amazed that these oversized displays are not regarded a a driver distraction,

people mucking about with them while driving down the freeways or surface roads.

If it's not the built in one, it'll be the phone anyway.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I just can’t understand why folks are so preoccupied with rear visibility nowadays.  In college I drove an E350 delivery box truck with 0 rear visibility other than the side mirrors.    It doesn’t make a difference going forward, you have the camera and sensors when backing up and when changing lanes you still need to look over your shoulder.

Okay, but that's a delivery truck, the storage box serves a function. Building a car with tiny rear windows and bigass blindspots because "style" while simultaneously making the car more expensive due to extra cameras, wiring, and videoscreen is obnoxious.

I don't mind the cameras personally, but I can totally undertand why people wouldn't want them.

Looking at this bit of the interior, it almost seems like the buttons were an after thought. Let’s look at some of ford’s recent interiors.

here is the new f150 interior. The bronco is sharing the same buttons as this. Notice how well they are integrated into the center stack. There’s even some concave areas around the top buttons that give it some depth.2021-Ford-F-150-Lariat-Interior-Spied-3.

Explorer11-Ford-Explorer-Platinum-1.jpg

edge

2020_ford_edge_dashboard.jpg

All of these interiors seem to incorporate all the controls for the radio/AC pretty well into the design. 

Then you get to this new bronco pic and also the ranger. The controls in both of these seem like it’s just an after thought to me. It’s like someone said, “here, use these buttons, but don’t make it cost a lot,” so they just slapped them on a flat black piece of plastic. I was hoping it would have been incorporated a bit better. The same exact buttons look much better in the f150. 

2021-bronco-display-screen-jpg.6625

ranger6.jpg

44 minutes ago, probowler said:

Does this mean touch-screen control is standard? No screen-less option?

Backup camera has been required by FMVSS since 2016 model year. So since screen is required, might as well make it touch screen so it is more useful.

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Agree 100%.  Not sure what the thread was but I believe this has come up before.  There are just too many distractions today.  Granted all the sensors warning of a closing vehicle are beneficial but at some point the outsized displays might well become a safety issue.

Showing my  age but when the Louisville came out in 69 with  that big wrap around instrument panel, one of the talking points was that all of  the gauges in the right panel were positioned such that when everything was running correctly all needles pointed to 3 o'clock-"at a glance".

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Hah-walk  a mile in my shoes- she won't carry anything behind second row if it sticks above the seat?

• Like 1