Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

23 hours ago, akirby said:

Because we wouldn't be talking about it.   I don't think that was an accident.

We're all stuck inside with little to no good news. 

The orchestration of all this may have been improved by the lockdown speed bumps... and we're still in the thick of it. 

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Exactly LOL. Crash ratings are based on the results after the impact, not avoidance. Hence the term crash rating.

But a perfect crash rating would be never getting into a crash to begin with, no?  Normally you guys are all about safety, and where rubber meets pavement seems like one of the most important safety factors for a vehicle.

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

We're all stuck inside with little to no good news. 

The orchestration of all this may have been improved by the lockdown speed bumps... and we're still in the thick of it. 

Wasn't it supposed to have debuted already?  We've already seen both vehicles naked; It seems we were far past the leaks and teasing phase and standing on  the official reveals doorstep. A few pictures even showed what looked like construction of a Bronco exhibit.

Yeah, we're talking, but it's hardly a riveting and engaging debate: "It's orange!", "Nu uh... it's yellow!" At this point it feels like Ford is saying "please don't forget about us!".  It's not Fords fault, but it is the unfortunate situation we're in.  Hopefully now that we're slowly opening up, we can get back to a REAL normal and get our economy and society back to work.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

But a perfect crash rating would be never getting into a crash to begin with, no?  Normally you guys are all about safety, and where rubber meets pavement seems like one of the most important safety factors for a vehicle.

Be intentionally obtuse to your heart's content, a crash rating is exactly what the phrase implies.

• Like 2

It is the one of the modern ironies how customers look at 4-star or 5-star crash ratings when most drivers (hopefully) don't get into severe crashes like that.

The 'emergency handling' or accident avoidance system, essentially advanced driver-assistance system, would be a more realistic way to measure if we're talking about avoiding crash in the first place, and in that case the tires play some role.

The robustness & quality of the sensors and cameras have a stronger role however.

Tires still have so many importance such as braking, handling, traction, ride quality & noise, etc. etc. but crash test rating is one thing that won't be a contributing factor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Be intentionally obtuse to your heart's content, a crash rating is exactly what the phrase implies.

Name call all you want, but you're ignoring an important failing in the crash rating system, which is odd yet not surprising on this site.

16 minutes ago, dlghtjr90 said:

It is the one of the modern ironies how customers look at 4-star or 5-star crash ratings when most drivers (hopefully) don't get into severe crashes like that.

The 'emergency handling' or accident avoidance system, essentially advanced driver-assistance system, would be a more realistic way to measure if we're talking about avoiding crash in the first place, and in that case the tires play some role.

The robustness & quality of the sensors and cameras have a stronger role however.

Tires still have so many importance such as braking, handling, traction, ride quality & noise, etc. etc. but crash test rating is one thing that won't be a contributing factor.

I guess I'm confused how this vehicle safety system works? Don't they mandate a lot of this new technology? Like backup cameras as you mention... great feature to avoid accidents, but that doesn't raise the vehicles safety score?

Obviously it doesn't matter for mandated features because ALL new vehicles will have those and thus receive the same score, but for other things like tires or optional safety features like blind-spot awareness those should absolutely count.

Edited by probowler

2 minutes ago, probowler said:

I guess I'm confused how this vehicle safety system works? Don't they mandate a lot of this new technology? Like backup cameras as you mention... great feature to avoid accidents, but that doesn't raise the vehicles safety score?

In a word, no. The vehicle safety score that NHTSA and IIHS uses is currently based on 'old-school' metrics looking at the cage & frame design of the vehicle along with the seat and airbag designs that successfully protect the occupants.

You hit the car and assess the damage, that simple.

Now IIHS realizes the 21st century-appropriate vehicle safety score should include the driver-assist features like backup cameras, lane-keeping assist, automatic emergency braking, etc.

So far it started to include headlight reviews and does have one-off testing how effective the pedestrian avoidance systems are from different automakers (https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/performance-of-pedestrian-crash-prevention-varies-among-midsize-cars), but it is not a standard procedure just yet.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, probowler said:

Name call all you want, but you're ignoring an important failing in the crash rating system, which is odd yet not surprising on this site.

No, you’re failing to comprehend the meaning of crash rating.  It measures the impact to driver and passengers if a crash occurs.  Because the vast majority of crashes can’t be avoided with better tires,  it’s a nice theory but virtually never happens in real life.  If somebody runs a red light and t bones you better tires don’t help.  It’s not that it doesn’t help - but that’s a completely different attribute that’s almost impossible to measure as it relates to crash avoidance.  Even with better tires it’s more based on driver skill and attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

No, you’re failing to comprehend the meaning of crash rating.  It measures the impact to driver and passengers if a crash occurs.  Because the vast majority of crashes can’t be avoided with better tires,  it’s a nice theory but virtually never happens in real life.  If somebody runs a red light and t bones you better tires don’t help.  It’s not that it doesn’t help - but that’s a completely different attribute that’s almost impossible to measure as it relates to crash avoidance.  Even with better tires it’s more based on driver skill and attention.

No, I understand what you're saying now, I honestly thought some of this stuff was already a part of a vehicles safety score.  I guess what I'd like to suggest then, is to say that the current system is insufficient and suggest it can be improved. Like you said, it's not just tires... but if you created a whole accident avoidance metric that included tires, automatic breaking, rear-view camera, and blind-spot assistance you start to have an entire metric of accident avoidance.

Like Dlight was saying, perhaps the crash rating is insufficient today, and should instead be one half of a more comprehensive "Vehicle Safety" rating system that includes.  What do you think about something like that?

• Like 1

Like Dlight was saying, perhaps the crash rating is insufficient today, and should instead be one half of a more comprehensive "Vehicle Safety" rating system that includes.  What do you think about something like that?

I am absolutely sure our friends in NHTSA and IIHS are very busy working on the procedure.

Some OEM's do a better job than others when it comes to detecting the pedestrians and/or objects and how aggressively (or naturally) it applies the brakes, etc. but as of now there is no standard protocol like 5-star crash test rating.

I heard the IIHS is working on their newest test - known as the "Banana" test.

it measures the impact a pedestrian might have if they slip on a banana peel and hit the car.  All vehicles currently get 1 star on it, meaning all cars are now death traps.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, probowler said:

No, I understand what you're saying now, I honestly thought some of this stuff was already a part of a vehicles safety score.  I guess what I'd like to suggest then, is to say that the current system is insufficient and suggest it can be improved. Like you said, it's not just tires... but if you created a whole accident avoidance metric that included tires, automatic breaking, rear-view camera, and blind-spot assistance you start to have an entire metric of accident avoidance.

At the moment they only require dynamic stability control and things like lateral g loads and braking distances are not included.

There’s always room for improvement but auto manufacturers are still struggling to meet today’s standards, imagine if vehicles were tested at 60 mph impact speeds.

Nah, it doesn't need to be a requirement (unless you just mean that it's a test parameter)  But just something they look at. I'm surprised they don't test braking distance! That seems like an easy one to do too. Also didn't know about the 60mph thing, that's wild. What do they test at, 30? 45? And they mess those cars up!

The 5 star rating system now includes points for active safety items, things like lane keeping system, lane departure Warning, auto high beams, good headlights, automatic emergency braking, amber rear turn signals all get manufactures points for a 5 star rating. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, probowler said:

Nah, it doesn't need to be a requirement (unless you just mean that it's a test parameter)  But just something they look at. I'm surprised they don't test braking distance! That seems like an easy one to do too. Also didn't know about the 60mph thing, that's wild. What do they test at, 30? 45? And they mess those cars up!

35 mph for front impact tests

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

There has been a caravan of Bronco / F-150 / Bronco Sports driving on 75/275 between downriver and Monroe county for about a week and a half now. 

DAMMIT I wish I knew that, I would have rode my bike to one of the overpasses near me and watch for them. I've been waiting for ages to see one in the wild personally. 

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

DAMMIT I wish I knew that, I would have rode my bike to one of the overpasses near me and watch for them. I've been waiting for ages to see one in the wild personally. 

take your camera with you when you go ?

• Like 2