Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why? Lots of people have zero appreciation for car styling-in the grand scheme of things it’s hard to make cars look different from one another-but these same people miss the little details that make brands what they are from their styling. 

That’s why people parrot off oh it looks like a Flex, when the only thing they share is four doors and two box shape. 

I love the Flex styling

I wish it made sense for it to see a second generation 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Since we have already seen the Bronco and Bronco Sport completely undisguised, what is the point of the drip feed of Bronco/Sport in camo photos?   I realize the the undisguised photos were not great quality, but we already know what it looks like.  

A asked the same  question   a couple of weeks ago when a Sport was shown with Cyber Orange showing around all of the panels..

On 5/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, CurtisH said:

I’m a little concerned about that site.  In a thread asking about the Bronco Sport reveal, one of the moderators asked:

How is the "Sport" different from the "Bronco?"

They're referring to them as the "Bronco family". To me, they seem like 2 entirely different product lines.

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I love the Flex styling

The Flex had the same problem as all Fords cars, Ford gave up on it.

It may not have been a huge seller, but it was well-regarded and had a loyal following. Who knows what they could have achieved with an aggressive update and actual marketing. The last refresh with the updated front fascia was really nice!

Edited by probowler

7 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

They're referring to them as the "Bronco family". To me, they seem like 2 entirely different product lines.

I look at it this way, Bronco and Bronco Light. Still very much the same DNA, just not as much capability in the light version. How accurate this statement is, I don't know right now. Once they hit the trails, we'll know for sure. Worst case scenario, the Sport is just as capable as an Escape.

20 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I look at it this way, Bronco and Bronco Light. Still very much the same DNA, just not as much capability in the light version. How accurate this statement is, I don't know right now. Once they hit the trails, we'll know for sure. Worst case scenario, the Sport is just as capable as an Escape.

Escape platform versus ranger platform though. The ranger has more bronco DNA than the sport.

15 minutes ago, probowler said:

Escape platform versus ranger platform though. The ranger has more bronco DNA than the sport.

Surprising at how many folks are unaware of this. Plenty of info out there especially in this thread. 

1 hour ago, probowler said:

But it has Bronco styling and probably will have more off road chops than any other CUV of that size.

Remember the Grand Cherokee is also unibody.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

But it has Bronco styling and probably will have more off road chops than any other CUV of that size.

True, I simply meant it in a very literal sense such as shared drivetrain and suspension parts. I don't believe Ford would put the Bronco name on a unsuitable vehicle. Anyone who pays attention can tell that Ford is taking the Bronco revival very thoughtful, serious, and purposeful.

Going back to the new leaks, I'm starting to think we may hear something sooner rather than later. As others have mentioned, it doesn't make sense to have another drip-feed campaign after we've already seen both vehicles uncovered. A sudden cold launch on the internet after a month of silence and waning interest would be severely underwhelming. I think fords plan is to quickly rev people back up, get interest and hype restarted and hopefully we see something amazing in Texas soon.

Edited by probowler

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I love the Flex styling

I do too.  It's a clean and simple design that looks good and works, and it's aged well, IMO.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

True, I simply meant it in a very literal sense such as shared drivetrain and suspension parts. I don't believe Ford would put the Bronco name on a unsuitable vehicle. Anyone who pays attention can tell that Ford is taking the Bronco revival very thoughtful, serious, and purposeful.

Going back to the new leaks, I'm starting to think we may hear something sooner rather than later. As others have mentioned, it doesn't make sense to have another drip-feed campaign after we've already seen both vehicles uncovered. A sudden cold launch on the internet after a month of silence and waning interest would be severely underwhelming. I think fords plan is to quickly rev people back up, get interest and hype restarted and hopefully we see something amazing in Texas soon.

Yeah, I can't see a scenario where they don't give a date for everyone to get ready for.  A cold "surprise" would be a mistake.  That said, it does seem like it'll be soon.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

but isnt the Grand Cherokee RWD based?

13 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Ugh, Ford is sooooo cheappppp, they can't even give the thing a matching spare rim. HOW DARE THEYYYYY.

13 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

2016-ford-flex-ecoboost-awd-1-1557785294this is still a pretty sweet ride if you ask me. I would have considered one if the interior had been updated.

Yeah, I liked the update they did to the front end, but they didn't touch the back (except a new panel insert) or the interior.  The interior was great when it debuted, but it definitely needed an update.  But it was also clear they weren't going to do much with Flex overall.

59 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The interior was great when it debuted, but it definitely needed an update.  But it was also clear they weren't going to do much with Flex overall.

The change in the Flex's interior from 2012 to 2013 was fairly substantial, IMHO. New stack, all new switchgear, new gauges, new steering wheel, etc. 

The hardpoints were the same but it's at least on par with other MCEs. 

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I liked the update they did to the front end, but they didn't touch the back (except a new panel insert) or the interior.  The interior was great when it debuted, but it definitely needed an update.  But it was also clear they weren't going to do much with Flex overall.

Ford did look at updating the Flex and ran some business cases with moving it over to the new architectures. It just became cost prohibitive with the investment better spent on other vehicles. Example the Fusion Active can be sold in more markets than the Flex can be for the same development costs as well as meet CAFE requirements easier. It could also be made in Canada and exported to Europe so you have a more favorable exchange rate along with more favorable trade deals. The Flex never got the love from Ford after it launched like it did when it was in the design stage. The market switched rapidly after the 08-09 recession and by 2012 it was clear that market was never coming back so after the MCE it was done, the MCE really tightened the interior/exterior down, it is a huge improvement if you compare. It hung on as long as it did as they needed product for Oakville to maintain the two shifts (Edge/Nautilus is only good for about 1.5 shifts) the tooling was long paid for and the Explorer/Taurus were in production so suppliers were still building the components for it to continue on. 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

2016-ford-flex-ecoboost-awd-1-1557785294this is still a pretty sweet ride if you ask me. I would have considered one if the interior had been updated.

The new Explorer pretty much made the Flex redundant. Putting aside the interior criticisms, the new Explorer certainly cuts a dashing figure on the road and turns my head, even in base trim. The Flex used to do that, but looks dated up against the new Explorer. IMO, would have been waste of money to refresh the Flex with Explorer competing in same space.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

but isnt the Grand Cherokee RWD based?

RWD in itself is sort of meaningless. Plenty of RWD vehicles can't go offroad. Can yo even buy a RWD Grand Cherokee? I thought they were all AWD like Bronco Sport will be. 

The point was that you can make unibody vehicles work offroad. BOF is not a prerequisite to making a capable offroad vehicle.