Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

The change in the Flex's interior from 2012 to 2013 was fairly substantial, IMHO. New stack, all new switchgear, new gauges, new steering wheel, etc. 

The hardpoints were the same but it's at least on par with other MCEs. 

Eh - I guess you could put it this way, like the Fusion's MCE, it wasn't enough to push people to upgrade, IMO.  For example, I think it was 2 years earlier, you had Edge/MKX refreshes that gave the vehicles all new front, rear, and dashes is what I'm comparing it to.  I agree they were ok/nice updates, but not substantial enough IMO.

Edited by rmc523

13 hours ago, probowler said:

The Flex had the same problem as all Fords cars, Ford gave up on it.

It may not have been a huge seller, but it was well-regarded and had a loyal following. Who knows what they could have achieved with an aggressive update and actual marketing. The last refresh with the updated front fascia was really nice!

The improvement to the instrument panel alone was outstanding, even if I'm not a fan of the new type of "button" compared to the old one personally, it looks so much better. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

2011 Explorer also made it redundant 

It's a shame we haven't reached a a point where platforms are flexible enough to support multiple tophats in different markets... even different states here in the US.  How cool would it be to live in a world where you can choose between the Flex and the Explorer? 

Maybe we need regulatory reform that makes it cheaper to certify vehicles riding on previously approved and verified safe platforms.

32 minutes ago, probowler said:

It's a shame we haven't reached a a point where platforms are flexible enough to support multiple tophats in different markets... even different states here in the US.  How cool would it be to live in a world where you can choose between the Flex and the Explorer? 

Maybe we need regulatory reform that makes it cheaper to certify vehicles riding on previously approved and verified safe platforms.

It wasn't really a matter of a flexible platform, it's more that Flex and Explorer were basically the same thing (3 row crossover) with a different body and different suspension tuning. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It wasn't really a matter of a flexible platform, it's more that Flex and Explorer were basically the same thing (3 row crossover) with a different body and different suspension tuning. 

A bit like Escape vs Bronco Sport?

I think there's plenty of Ford product around now that makes the Flex redundant,

Explorer now has longer wheelbase, there's also better fitting Aviator over at Lincoln.

i get it and maybe there's an opportunity to do more with Edge and Nautilus in the future

and then there's Bronco.......

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I think there's plenty of Ford product around now that makes the Flex redundant,

Explorer now has longer wheelbase, there's also better fitting Aviator over at Lincoln.

i get it and maybe there's an opportunity to do more with Edge and Nautilus in the future

Exactly, actually!  You are right, it's totally redundant but the styling differences are so drastic that I think they could be different enough to justify keeping around.

Apparently I'm wrong though, since someone earlier mentioned Ford tried and failed to justify keeping the old girl around.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Exactly, actually!  You are right, it's totally redundant but the styling differences are so drastic that I think they could be different enough to justify keeping around.

Apparently I'm wrong though, since someone earlier mentioned Ford tried and failed to justify keeping the old girl around.

Yes, the bodied styling is not unlike what Ford is now doing with Bronco Sport and Bronco,

a flex replacement would open up another sales chanel for three row utilities but maybe

Ford needs as much CD6 Explorer sales traffic as possible......interesting possiblities.

Edited by jpd80

The skateboard platform should make that even easier, with much more differentiation between vehicles since there would be less restrictions on design (ie designing around an engine or transmission). You could literally put a new top hat on and go.

i think rivian already patented a modular bed.

rivian-selection.jpg?crop=1xw:0.88888888

• Like 2

5 hours ago, probowler said:

That was easier to do when the domestics were the only game in town with huge market share.  Nowadays it’s almost impossible to justify.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe but at least with Escape and Bronco Sport they’re clearly targeting different customers. Explorer and Flex were aimed pretty much at exactly the same customers. 

sidebar ...Ford has to know, if not be involved in the slow release of spy shots...they could milk this until the final reveal....ie, remove camo around one tail-light one week,  roof the next, front door the next etc etc etc...

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Maybe but at least with Escape and Bronco Sport they’re clearly targeting different customers. Explorer and Flex were aimed pretty much at exactly the same customers. 

the biggest thing I liked about the Flex was that second row leg room, car was definitely packaged better than the Explorer...biggest issue is whilst it sold well in So Cal and a couple of other sunshine states, in areas which endured snow and inclement weather , ground clearance was an issue...

14 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Flex had a longer wheelbase than the Explorer, but the Explorer was a longer vehicle overall. Never had an issue of ground clearance with mine. 

was better packaged than the Explorer...and the Explorer had more clearance and conveyed, at least visually, superior capability in conditions such as snow etc....I believe the AWD system was more tuned towards that in the Explorer as well... 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

But are they actually targeting different customers or just giving Escape buyers the body they really want (Bronco Sport) at a higher price?

And if so, where does that leave the Escape/ Kuga, are they now intended to capture ex-car buyers like Fusion/ Focus buyers?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

But are they actually targeting different customers or just giving Escape buyers the body they really want (Bronco Sport) at a higher price?

And if so, where does that leave the Escape/ Kuga, are they now intended to capture ex-car buyers like Fusion/ Focus buyers?

I'm curious as to how much of an effect the Bronco Sport will have on Escape sales when it comes out. 

25 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I believe it's clever marketing and branding on Ford's part. Most want a stylish cuv that is very functional and fuel efficient like the hybrid Escape. Some others want the boxy, rugged, off road look of the Bronco Sport. There is a market for both and Ford is filling it. I doubt that Ford sedan owners are going to the new Escape. Maybe a few diehard Ford loyalists. I would think that most would be previous generation Escape owners with Bronco Sport picking up younger conquest buyers and some previous Escape owners and Bronco ll owners like me. 

You’ve got Escape buyers who aren’t interested in a Bronco Sport.   

You’ve got Bronco Sport buyers who wouldn’t buy an Escape.

And you’ve got some folks who would buy either.

Price will probably be the deciding factor for the latter group.

• Like 1