Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford is showing off the 2001 Bronco design study that was killed off by Explorer/Firestone tire debacle 

wow...just gos to show how long this concept has been going on...that's 20 years ago.....wowzers!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deanh said:

wow...just gos to show how long this concept has been going on...that's 20 years ago.....wowzers!

If you listen to the Bring Back Bronco podcast, Ford has been trying for the past 20 years and have been it’s been screwed up by various bad timing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

Supply chains will recover but I think a lot of the shifts towards working from home, online ordering and no contact transactions will continue.

Why would anyone go work in a manufacturing facility when wages at parts plants usually start around $12-15/hr cap out around $20/hr (plus benefits) when they can go pretty much anywhere these days and start at $15/hr and the work is way easier and in some cases much less hazardous. If I were just starting at Ford today I probably wouldn't have stuck it out beyond my first paycheck, nor would I blame anyone else for doing the same thing. These aren't easy jobs. 

44 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why would anyone go work in a manufacturing facility when wages at parts plants usually start around $12-15/hr cap out around $20/hr (plus benefits) when they can go pretty much anywhere these days and start at $15/hr and the work is way easier and in some cases much less hazardous. If I were just starting at Ford today I probably wouldn't have stuck it out beyond my first paycheck, nor would I blame anyone else for doing the same thing. These aren't easy jobs. 

Huh???

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Huh???

I think Fuzzy is saying getting quality employees working at parts plants is going to get harder and harder unless they raise wages. When you can make 15 bucks an hour working even in fast food or Target at a much less stressful and dangerous job. 

Having worked a parts plant 25 years ago, I still have scars and stitch marks to prove it.

This is my one and only time I will try to interpret what fuzzy is saying.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I think Fuzzy is saying getting quality employees working at parts plants is going to get harder and harder unless they raise wages. When you can make 15 bucks an hour working even in fast food or Target at a much less stressful and dangerous job. 

Having worked a parts plant 25 years ago, I still have scars and stitch marks to prove it.

This is my one and only time I will try to interpret what fuzzy is saying.

Thats exactly what I'm saying, and it's why I'm not confident these supply issues were seeing now will ease up any time soon. Either we're about to see a massive insourcing of parts production (which I doubt) or another massive offshoring of parts production to countries overseas that will build parts for pennies on the dollar. Those are the only 2 scenarios I see where this situation gets any better. 

I wouldn't want to be a new hire right now.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

51 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Thats exactly what I'm saying, and it's why I'm not confident these supply issues were seeing now will ease up any time soon. Either we're about to see a massive insourcing of parts production (which I doubt) or another massive offshoring of parts production to countries overseas that will build parts for pennies on the dollar. Those are the only 2 scenarios I see where this situation gets any better. 

Ok so I interpreted that correctly. Well down the street from me they are advertising starting wages at Wendy’s between 16-18 an hour. Think about that. Now I live in a somewhat higher cost of living area and 15 is the minimum wage in Chicago. 

The Webasto’s of the world probably don’t pay their production management and workers that well. What do you get when you do that? A clown show. The talented management won’t work there and production employees probably have a high turnover rate. These are the folks that were tasked to produce the hard tops. We’ve seen the results.

Some here know the real real story. The high level story has been discussed but the “how this occurs/occurred” is the story I would be interested in. Which then brings the do you bring it in house to shore up quality or off shore it so the Bronco like fuzzy mentioned. I’m assuming bringing it in house will make that starting price go up.

This is an interesting story to follow for many reasons. It will be fascinating to see how Ford addresses this and how that will be received.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Once they get rid of these ridiculous extra unemployment benefits and people actually go back to work the market will dictate wages.  And companies will adjust to compensate.  Might take 12-18 months though,  but it will recover.   People’s buying habits probably won’t though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Ok so I interpreted that correctly. Well down the street from me they are advertising starting wages at Wendy’s between 16-18 an hour. Think about that. Now I live in a somewhat higher cost of living area and 15 is the minimum wage in Chicago. 

The Webasto’s of the world probably don’t pay their production management and workers that well. What do you get when you do that? A clown show. The talented management won’t work there and production employees probably have a high turnover rate. These are the folks that were tasked to produce the hard tops. We’ve seen the results.

Some here know the real real story. The high level story has been discussed but the “how this occurs/occurred” is the story I would be interested in. Which then brings the do you bring it in house to shore up quality or off shore it so the Bronco like fuzzy mentioned. I’m assuming bringing it in house will make that starting price go up.

This is an interesting story to follow for many reasons. It will be fascinating to see how Ford addresses this and how that will be received.

Since Webasto builds tops for the Jeep Wrangler also, what's the big problem? You would think Ford ran these tops through its test labs before giving ok to ship. Also Webasto is supposedly building another plant in MI. Test labs should be able to puts years of driving simulation in all weather and temps in short period of time. Don't understand this screw up. 

8 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Since Webasto builds tops for the Jeep Wrangler also, what's the big problem? You would think Ford ran these tops through its test labs before giving ok to ship. Also Webasto is supposedly building another plant in MI. Test labs should be able to puts years of driving simulation in all weather and temps in short period of time. Don't understand this screw up. 

It was already explained.  The Ford design is very intricate and more difficult to build.  The production facility wasn’t ready early on so pre production builds were done elsewhere and were fine.  There wasn’t enough time to thoroughly test the production output without delaying job 1 even further.

5 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Well down the street from me they are advertising starting wages at Wendy’s between 16-18 an hour. Think about that. Now I live in a somewhat higher cost of living area and 15 is the minimum wage in Chicago. 

Thats a higher starting pay than what it would be if you started tomorrow at Chicago Assembly. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Once they get rid of these ridiculous extra unemployment benefits and people actually go back to work the market will dictate wages.  And companies will adjust to compensate.  Might take 12-18 months though,  but it will recover.   People’s buying habits probably won’t though.

Most of these supplier facilities pay rates are dictated by union contracts. Once those start to come due for renegotiation then what? There's going to be a lot of labor unrest in the next 3-5 years in this country and I can definitely see a lot of companies shipping production out of the country. Supplier margins are already razor thin as it is. Rising material costs are already starting to squeeze them. 

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There's a third alternative. We see a general uptick in wages in the economy to normalize the pay structure above the increasingly-standard floor of $15 an hour, companies increase prices to pay for those elevated wages, and we settle into a good old fashioned inflationary spiral.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, danglin said:

My Build scheduled for 23rd has been moved to 30th, so that is probably why...

Mine has been in jail for the past two weeks, even if it does make the Aug 30th date not sure how fast it is going to leave the plant to be shipped.

Not sure what is taking so long to ship it, if it is a shortage of shippers Ford should just allow dealers to pick them up at the factory like they used to be able to do.  

11 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Not sure what is taking so long to ship it, if it is a shortage of shippers Ford should just allow dealers to pick them up at the factory like they used to be able to do.  

In 35 years, the only time I can remember Dealers being able to pick up vehicles at the factory was a few years back when it was possible to pick up specific Transit's that had been stuck at the plant for an extended time.