Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

From Ross on Bronco6G:

We didn't think they could do it, but they did. The scale of this operation will make for fun reading in the years ahead... I doubt there have been many other situations with tooling components being express airlifted to meet an impossible deadline.

Tooling was up and running Friday and from what I can tell they cranked all weekend. So far, no issues have been discovered. I don't believe they've officially been released for delivery but that should happen later this week.

Sounds like Ford was willing to throw the checkbook at this to get sorted.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Some good news finally!

Ford confirms it will ship new hardtops, Broncos within one week

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/09/07/ford-bronco-hardtops-ready-shipping/5754266001/

Impossible.  No good news on Bronco is allowed.

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

From Ross on Bronco6G:

Sounds like Ford was willing to throw the checkbook at this to get sorted.

Reminds me of when they shipped something from Europe I think for the F-150 plant years ago when something burned down IIRC?

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

At this point, any news about new Bronco is good news as Ford finally starts cleaning up the "unmitigated disaster of stupefying proportions" that was the Bronco launch. 

What I don't get is Ford has testing labs that can put preproduction and production vehicles through anything including extreme water testing before OK to ship. How the hell did these tops slip through testing. Latch and unlatch and back to testing labs for more water tests over many days before getting approval. 

59 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Is this the same roof design, just someone else making it? Or was the roof redesigned? I was under the impression it was a design issue and would require a redesign.

To make a long story short-

preproduction units where built at a different site and didn’t have issues. 

production units where built at a new plant with a new workforce and was having additional issues due to Covid. 

I’m assuming the tops coming out of the plant where fine at first, then started experiencing failures with delamination a week or two later.

Hardtops made after 7/15 started getting held at the plant and Im guessing the quality of the tops was getting worse and Ford pulled the plug on it till a redesigned tooling to fix the issue was complete. 

The new tooling has some minor changes to it (fixing the edges) and some material changes to fix the snake skinning issues. It’s not a redesigned top-it’s an improved top. 

only about 6000-8000 vehicles total where affected.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

So it flunked extensive water testing and Ford shipped anyway? 

I was referring to the exposed edges and thin outer shell.  The new top is said to have rolled edges and a slightly thicker outer shell (read: additional cost). I’m not confident that water intrusion will be resolved, time will tell.  

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Reminds me of when they shipped something from Europe I think for the F-150 plant years ago when something burned down IIRC?

During the 2013 Fusion launch they chartered a plane to fly a super heavy stamping die from Hermosillo to Michigan and back  for repairs.

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

So if it was possible to completely change the material composition and manufacturer of the roof in just a few weeks, this still begs the question why Ford let the sh!tty roof go out the door in the first place. 

They didn’t want to delay the launch while they did extensive testing of the tops from the production facility.  They gambled that Webasto knew what they were doing and the production tops would match the prototypes and they lost that gamble.  $$$ was obviously a factor but I think the PR from yet another delay was a bigger factor.  Of course the end result was far worse but hindsight is 20/20.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

To make a long story short-

preproduction units where built at a different site and didn’t have issues. 

production units where built at a new plant with a new workforce and was having additional issues due to Covid. 

I’m assuming the tops coming out of the plant where fine at first, then started experiencing failures with delamination a week or two later.

Hardtops made after 7/15 started getting held at the plant and Im guessing the quality of the tops was getting worse and Ford pulled the plug on it till a redesigned tooling to fix the issue was complete. 

The new tooling has some minor changes to it (fixing the edges) and some material changes to fix the snake skinning issues. It’s not a redesigned top-it’s an improved top. 

only about 6000-8000 vehicles total where affected.   

very very close to spot on. ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I believe it was a magna plant in Howell that had an explosion.  Ford used a huge Russian plane to fly a die from Europe  

18 hours ago, akirby said:

During the 2013 Fusion launch they chartered a plane to fly a super heavy stamping die from Hermosillo to Michigan and back  for repairs.

8 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

yeah I couldn’t remember the whole story.  Didn’t remember it involving Europe but I knew it involved f150.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ford-is-restarting-f-150-production-after-flying-tools-to-england/

point being if the issue is big enough/causing enough issues, they’ll pony up the funds and stops to get it fixed quickly

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

yeah I couldn’t remember the whole story.  Didn’t remember it involving Europe but I knew it involved f150.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ford-is-restarting-f-150-production-after-flying-tools-to-england/

point being if the issue is big enough/causing enough issues, they’ll pony up the funds and stops to get it fixed quickly

2 different incidents.  Fusion die was in late 2012 and was flown to Michigan and back.  This was just a month or two prior to the headlamp fiasco.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

how about we focus on getting the regular versions out in an expedient manner first??????

Yeah, I figured it'd be a '23, and didn't we get the intel that it seemed like Heritage was also pushed off to '23 too?  Unless they're both "late availability"/very late in the year.

That said, I love the repeated line over at 6g like yours as if future development just stops while they fix current production issues.....I know that's not what you're saying, but people over there think they just stop working on future everything in order to fix current problems.