Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

13 hours ago, probowler said:

I'd prefer a bigger engine in the new Broncos because the current engines are insufficient.

Your entire argument is based on your OPINION that because the current engines today are as fast as some V8s from 10 years ago, that automatically makes them good enough. If you believe that, cool but again that's just your opinion.

So is yours. You have provided zero data as to why the current engines in the Bronco are insufficient (assuming our guesses as to what are going to be in it are accurate). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, probowler said:

I'd prefer a bigger engine in the new Broncos because the current engines are insufficient.

Your entire argument is based on your OPINION that because the current engines today are as fast as some V8s from 10 years ago, that automatically makes them good enough. If you believe that, cool but again that's just your opinion.

Nobody said it was insufficient in either the old or new Escape.  Just the opposite. 

15 hours ago, probowler said:

Since no one has driven any Broncos you pulled your OPINION directly out of your ass!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Far more compelling is the upgrade, turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, which only is available on the Titanium and the all-wheel-drive SEL, for $2285. The more powerful 2.0-liter develops its 250 horses and 280 lb-ft of torque with a quiet purr and turns the Escape into a borderline hot rod among compact SUVs. Our Titanium test car, at 3731 pounds, compressed our scales with 109 fewer pounds than its all-wheel-drive predecessor with an optional 245-hp 2.0-liter turbo four. The new version's 5.7-second dash to 60 mph and 14.3-second quarter-mile pass at 96 mph are, again, huge improvements over the previous model's times and enough to easily make the Escape the fleetest player in the segment.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29077713/2020-ford-escape-drive/y

One concern I have is that a lot of buyers will walk if they don't have easy access to the 2.0 EB,

locking it away in AWD only in SEL and Titanium trims is Ford urging buyers to spend more

to get the 2.0 EB but it may be having the opposite effect.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

One concern I have is that a lot of buyers will walk if they don't have easy access to the 2.0 EB,

locking it away in AWD only in SEL and Titanium trims is Ford urging buyers to spend more

to get the 2.0 EB but it may be having the opposite effect.

Exactly. Unfortunately, folks like akirby refuse to acknowledge the sub-standard existence of the 1.5L 3-cylinder, he only wants to believe that everyone should purchase higher-trim models so they can get the 2.0, and increase the ATP.

From the C&D article he quoted;

There's a throaty warble to the triple's engine note under load that could only come from an inline-three. Our one complaint is some faint boominess inside the cabin when the cylinder-deactivation system occasionally kicks in and idles one of the cylinders.

HRG

blue koolaid.jpg

OK, I was a bit confused, I thought the 1.5 was the same 4-banger that was in the previous Escape and in the Fusion. I found THAT engine to be a bit rough on the edges when I was shopping a few weeks ago. The Fusion hybrid they had for the same price was smoother and more powerful, which is why I bought that one. A big 3 cylinder would definitely be a no go for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Exactly. Unfortunately, folks like akirby refuse to acknowledge the sub-standard existence of the 1.5L 3-cylinder, he only wants to believe that everyone should purchase higher-trim models so they can get the 2.0

Way to completely miss the context.  The statement was that ALL of the Bronco Sport engines were slow and underpowered and I specifically said the 2.0L was not.  

And YOU refuse to understand that there are millions of buyers who don’t care about the engine at all and would be happy with the 1.5L.  And for those who aren’t there is the 2.0.  It doesn’t mean the 1.5L is a great engine or that it can’t be improved.

Geez some of you need lessons in reading comprehension.

39 minutes ago, AGR said:

OK, I was a bit confused, I thought the 1.5 was the same 4-banger that was in the previous Escape and in the Fusion. I found THAT engine to be a bit rough on the edges when I was shopping a few weeks ago. The Fusion hybrid they had for the same price was smoother and more powerful, which is why I bought that one. A big 3 cylinder would definitely be a no go for me.

It was only used in Focus and Fiesta prior to the 2020 Escape.  It’s not a great engine by most accounts but it’s not the end of the world because.......wait for it.....IT’S OPTIONAL!!!

Some of you just look for something to complain about.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

It was only used in Focus and Fiesta prior to the 2020 Escape.  It’s not a great engine by most accounts but it’s not the end of the world because.......wait for it.....IT’S OPTIONAL!!!

I'm not complaining, I wouldn't be buying either Bronco anyway. And I did buy something other than the 1.5 I4 Fusion, I bought the hybrid.  Would have rather had the Sport, but there wasn't one in my price range. There was a high miles '14 SHO...

All I know is, I MISS SPORTS!

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

I can't find a single example in the 2020 Escape order guide where the 1.5 3-cylinder is the OPTIONAL engine.  Provide proof, or stop posting mis-truths.

HRG

7 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I can't find a single example in the 2020 Escape order guide where the 1.5 3-cylinder is the OPTIONAL engine.  Provide proof, or stop posting mis-truths.

HRG

Duh.  It’s optional because it’s the base engine and you can choose to pay less for the base engine.  Otherwise, you pay more to get an adequate engine and therefore Ford’s ATP increases.  Did I pass the narrative test?? ?

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

Way to completely miss the context.  The statement was that ALL of the Bronco Sport engines were slow and underpowered and I specifically said the 2.0L was not.  

And YOU refuse to understand that there are millions of buyers who don’t care about the engine at all and would be happy with the 1.5L.  And for those who aren’t there is the 2.0.  It doesn’t mean the 1.5L is a great engine or that it can’t be improved.

Geez some of you need lessons in reading comprehension.

The 1.5 Dragon is not as bad as folks make out, I think it has a nice note in Escape and is far from weak as a base engine.

All of this is ironic because our Aussie Escapes will all be 2.0 EB, the only option is the 2.5 PHEV on Titanium.... but ours come from Europe where a diesel option is still available.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

You mean Fusion. Focus never had the 1.5 in North America. 

57 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Can you purchase a 2020 Escape with a different engine?  That makes it optional.

Now stop the trolling.  You’re not that stupid.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Duh.  It’s optional because it’s the base engine and you can choose to pay less for the base engine.  Otherwise, you pay more to get an adequate engine and therefore Ford’s ATP increases.  Did I pass the narrative test?? ?

The 1.5 dragon seems to be more than adequate according to C&D.  

The Escape's base powerplant, a turbocharged 1.5-liter inline-three-cylinder, produces 181 horsepower and 190 lb-ft of torque, which comes on quickly and relatively smoothly and is fully adequate for getting this compact ute up to a moderate pace. Which is a good thing, considering it is the only mill to be had on S and SE trim levels. The run from zero to 60 mph in our all-wheel-drive SE test car takes 7.7 seconds, and the quarter-mile is dispatched in 15.9 seconds at 87 mph—leagues ahead of the 9.2- and 16.9-second measurements we recorded for a previous-generation front-drive Escape with the now-defunct turbo 1.5-liter inline-four. There's a throaty warble to the triple's engine note under load that could only come from an inline-three. Our one complaint is some faint boominess inside the cabin when the cylinder-deactivation system occasionally kicks in and idles one of the cylinders.

8 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

Since no one has driven any Broncos you pulled your OPINION directly out of your ass!

Oh! so if that's our critiera then you also can't claim it to be fast OR sufficient? 

Weird you only quoted me to say that but okay 

?

On 4/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, probowler said:

It's a NICE looking SUV though... If it's supposed to be a cheap, slow little thing then I guess that's fine, but a go-fast limited version would be pretty sweet.

This is what was posted that started this ridiculous tangent.

I don't think any magazine test of Escape has said that either engine is under powered or slow. Objectively 1.5 EB or 2.0 EB are not slow in Escape, and they won't be in Bronco Sport. Can we just move on now?

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I don't think any magazine test of Escape has said that either engine is under powered or slow. 

Yes sir bzcat, 1.5L 3-cylinder in 2020 Escape performs adequately. Main issue with that engine is noise and vibration. Bronco Sport customers may not find that as bothersome as Escape customers though. Bronco has a more rough and tumble image.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir bzcat, 1.5L 3-cylinder in 2020 Escape performs adequately. Main issue with that engine is noise and vibration. Bronco Sport customers may not find that as bothersome as Escape customers though. Bronco has a more rough and tumble image.

Do you have actual evidence that Escape customers (as opposed to reviewers or online enthusiasts) find it bothersome?   I could be wrong but I believe most buyers of less expensive models care more about price/payments and looks than the smoothness of the engine.   Look how awful Corolla has been over the years yet it was at the top or close to the top in sales.