Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

On 2/12/2020 at 12:22 AM, probowler said:

Are you hinting at a convertible vehicle which can transition from truck to suv? 

Ive had this idea for the Gladiator but never considered it for the Bronco. In fact I forgot about the OG Bronco truck. 

I think such an option would be a super unique and attractive prospect if the conversion process was simple enough. 

With today's engineering I'm sure it could be done without all the bolting and un-bolting used on the originals. You could literally have three different vehicles in one, just like the original, depending on which top you wanted to install. Each different setup obviously needs to be weatherproof as well. The original pickup bulkhead used a gasket between the body tub and the bulkhead but there is no reason that a weather strip seal similar to what is used around the perimeter of any car door wouldn't work.

I actually have a full length folding convertible top with it's own frame for my '75 in addition to the full length hard top. I also have the steel bulkhead to convert it into a pickup. The only part I don't have yet is the pickup length top.

And by the way, most Bronco enthusiasts refer to the original as the EB (Early Bronco). 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, T-dubz said:

ford-sport-trac-adrenalin-photo-165193-s

I wasn’t a huge fan of the early sport tracs, but by the time they started looking like this, I thought they were pretty awesome. I actually think this design has aged very well and still looks like an attractive vehicle. I for one love the short bed. It was large enough to carry one large item, like a lawn mower or chest of drawers, and it was short enough to where the vehicle would still fit in the garage.

I currently own a 2008 Sport Trac and LOVE it still to this day. I think they can still do the same formula with the bronco...short bed and just call it the Bronco Sport Trac - both names have history and a following. There is a HUGE Sport Trac following and owners clubs still to this day.

Wow, that video makes this thing a pretty extreme vehicle. The OJ generation Bronco would probably be splattered all over those rocks leaking radiator fluid. This one seems like a Raptor/Army Hummer (not the H2 or H3) mix brought up to spinal tap's 11.

I can see why the'd also offer Bronco Maverick or Scout or whatever it will be called, because this one may be a bit much for most, but loved by the target demographic. 

I'm thinking the smaller Bronco (Maverick) will be the sales king of the two and this is the halo truck which will also sell a good clip.

5 hours ago, zipzoomflyfast said:

I currently own a 2008 Sport Trac and LOVE it still to this day. I think they can still do the same formula with the bronco...short bed and just call it the Bronco Sport Trac - both names have history and a following. There is a HUGE Sport Trac following and owners clubs still to this day.

I still wish to own a Sport Trac Adrenalin V8...  but man have they held their value!

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I get what you are saying, but the 4.6L 3V holds a slim power advantage over the 2.3L EB in the Ranger.  

http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/163-0908-2010-ford-explorer-sport-trac-tech-specs/

I forgot they detuned the hp on the Ranger compared with the the mustang.  But Ranger makes the same peak torque (310 vs 315) at 3000 rpm vs 3950 in the Sport Trac.  I’d say the 2.3L would have the advantage.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

I forgot they departed the hp on the Ranger compared with the the mustang.  But Ranger makes the same peak torque (310 vs 315) at 3000 rpm vs 3950 in the Sport Trac.  I’d say the 2.3L would have the advantage.

Mind you, the Ranger is a drive in, drive out tune away from smoking that 4.6 V8 

Poor selling Spot Trac has been gone nearly ten years but the 2.3 EB Ranger crew cab

is a decent replacement save for a missing  apex trim level and engine. Ford should

provide these in the next generation

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Mind you, the Ranger is a drive in, drive out tune away from smoking that 4.6 V8 

Poor selling Spot Trac has been gone nearly ten years but the 2.3 EB Ranger crew cab

is a decent replacement save for a missing  apex trim level and engine. Ford should

provide these in the next generation

While not many of the V8 Sport Tracs had any serious modifications there are supercharger installations that have been done and then it would be game over once both engines (4.6L V8 & 2.3L I4) have forced induction. Sorry, but no matter how hard you try you can't beat the sound of a V8 and most performance minded buyers would agree. Stock for stock they are probably more evenly matched than most would expect and that includes real world fuel mileage.

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Stock for stock they are probably more evenly matched than most would expect and that includes real world fuel mileage.

14 / 19 mpg for the 4WD 4.6 V8 vs 20 / 24 mpg for the 2.3 EB Ranger....

and you're missing the point of a simple, relatively low cost tune on the 2.3 EB

versus let's go buy a supercharger and mod up the v8.

Edited by jpd80

I daily drove a V8 Mercury Mountaineer for a few month back in the days.  It didn't come close to getting the EPA numbers. I have no doubt the T6 Ranger with 2.3 I4 will out perform and get vastly better MPG than the Sport Trac. However, this is not a negative post about Sport Trac... I really like it when it was around. The short cargo bed was its only flaw. 

When Ford first confirmed that T6 Ranger was coming to the US, there was a lot of debate here about how it stacks up against the previous Ranger in terms of capability and more importantly price. I pointed out way back that the correct benchmark was not the ancient Ranger that were sold to bargain hunters and was replaced by Fiesta and Transit Connect in the Ford line up in the US. The closest Ford vehicle to T6 Ranger was and still is the Sport Trac. 

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The V8 in the Explorer wasn't an huge upgrade performance wise over the V6 4.0L of the time. 

Its not like it was putting down a sub 14 second 1/4 times (12 seconds with a tune) like the 2020 Explorer ST does these days. 

But, at the time, those of us that had V8 Explorers, and used them as tow vehicles, enjoyed the grunt needed to get loads moving. Not everyone drag races,,,,

HRG